Supplements, for those with an open mind.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I bet it doesn't stop the dreaded Scottish midge! Those little swine are protected by their kilts!

Garlic, plenty of keeps them away..........................:)

lindisfel

Expert
Some say it does, but I don't think there's much empirical evidence. Smoking a pipe is recommended.
The only way round it David, is to stop breathing because the female midge home in on carbon dioxide and need a blood meal for producing the next generation. They feed the birds which is worthwhile! I seem to recall in NZ the west coast of the South Island has some horrid biting insects called Sandflies, so roaming the planet has it problems! We were birding Texas some years ago and had to run from Africanized Bees on a nature reserve near the Rio Grande, its all part of life's rich pattern! The American soldiers in Vietnam found Avon, Skin so Soft keeps insects away, but nothing is100% successful. I found it softened the armouring on my binoculars so I was not happy!:)
regards Derek

Last edited:

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The American soldiers in Vietnam found Avon, Skin so Soft keeps insects away, but nothing is100% successful.

I've used this sucessfully for about 10 years when abroad plus my trusty jar of marmite - usually the dinner gong sounds for mozzies when I'm around.

Back to supplements - I took echinacea due to loads of infections - stopped so many ailments but jiggered up my liver function tests - they took a year to return to normal.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I seem to recall in NZ the west coast of the South Island has some horrid biting insects called Sandflies,

Noted thank you. It was sandflies along mosquitoes that got HID recently. Whether I not taking B12 protected me I can't say but I have suffered in the past, just not now. HID used to reckon it was because I was diabetic and they liked sweet blood. In theory, if I'm controlling BG, that shouldn't be an issue, who knows?

Reactions: Ultramum

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ultramum did you take Echinacea regularly and how do you know that it was this that affected your liver function ?
CAROL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just as a side note..

I started drinking Chai tea (white n red pack in tesco-forgot name) with milk but also 1/2 reasooon of turneric, cinnamon and ginger in it and 10 grindings of black pepper.
Husband said it tasted yuchy and wouldnt drink it.

Hubby got really ill with a viral chest infection/cold. I didnt. I'm the one with a really poorly immune system and low on neutrophils, lymphocytes etc etc.. the only difference is that I drink this tea. We eat the same and he has extra fruit as I cant eat anything with skins or fibre.. ie he has an apple, 2 mandarins and a banana each day. I dont.

I drink this tea a lot. I find it so lovely that I only have one "proper" coffee bean coffee per day with single cream. I used to be a coffee addict.

Be selective if you decide to buy chai tea though. A lot of it has pure **** added as well.

I know not about vitamins.. but just that I really believe it bolstered my immune system.

Also, having had cancer i one breast. I had my other "healthy" boob removed recently. It had been biopsied twice due to uncertainty just like my first removed boob which turned cancerous. This "healthy" side was found to have abnormal cells in it but they hadnt progessed to cancer. I'm convinced that taking the turmeric stopped it progressing worse.

I also put turmeric and lashings of pepper grindings in every food!! Fish pie, omelette, veg, everything...

My B12 and folate has been up and down over 10 years. Originally declared with pernicious anaemia and injections. Then stopped by a doctor in Wales. Came back to England, still no injections but levels went up to 1598... told I didnt look like I had cancer... as soon as first removal done levels sunk to 450....and kept there for a year. Then abnormal cells removed and they've dived downward again. Just 10points above needing injections again and folate gone under target so now taking folate tablets.

I thought in the last 3 months that my memory has been really shot to pieces and my fatigue in last 4 weeks I put down to our new puppy... its not. I know this is exactly how I felt 10 years ago...
Now waiting for further B12 tests to see if it drops further.
I do have food with B12 in it.

Just thought I'd let you know the effects of turmeric.

By the way, hubby now drinks it as well!!

Reactions: zbluebirdz

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ultramum did you take Echinacea regularly and how do you know that it was this that affected your liver function ?
CAROL

Yes - about 10/12 months of the year.

Had naff LFT results twice - Dr asked about supplements and I mentioned echinacea - she looked it up (not sure which website she used but it was while I was sat in the surgery) - I stopped taking it and had a repeat test 3/12 later which showed an improvement. A year later my liver was back to normal.

Now I avoid people coughing and sneezing as best I can ...!!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that @Ultramum I only take Echinacea when I feel that I am getting a cold and my liver function is normal but it is good to know of any adverse reactions to supplements
CAROL

Reactions: Ultramum

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a high strength cod liver oil capsule every day and have done for over 20 years. I do believe that is good for the joints

D

Deleted member 308541

I take a high strength cod liver oil capsule every day and have done for over 20 years.
When I was a kid my father brought a large jar of these home from work where he had "acquired them".

One a day I had to take, foul tasting rubbish, but, but our cat and dog had nice shiny coats from when I gave them mine to eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a high strength cod liver oil capsule every day and have done for over 20 years. I do believe that is good for the joints

When I was a child we all got them and I was force fed them. Foul tasting isn't a strong enough description. I assume they were part of the free orange juice/milk thing.

We also got special sun-ray treatment. This took place at a health centre. There was some sort of sun ray machine hanging from the ceiling. All the children were stripped to our knickers and underpants, given goggles, and we had to walk round the room for a certain length of time. I know this was shortly before I started infant school so I would have been 3 or 4 years old. Can you imagine that happening these days!!!!!!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was a child we all got them and I was force fed them. Foul tasting isn't a strong enough description. I assume they were part of the free orange juice/milk thing.

Sure my parents did too @Bluetit1802

I've taken a high-strength CLO (in liquid form) for the last 5 years or more, the taste isn't too bad but I usually take it just before eating which helps mask the taste, it was my Dr who suggested to take it as a liquid rather than in a capsule, apparently it has more health benefits taken that way.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We also got special sun-ray treatment. This took place at a health centre. There was some sort of sun ray machine hanging from the ceiling. All the children were stripped to our knickers and underpants, given goggles, and we had to walk round the room for a certain length of time. I know this was shortly before I started infant school so I would have been 3 or 4 years old. Can you imagine that happening these days!!!!!!!!!!
I think mums could get liquid cod liver oil at the clinic I never had that though but our doctor suggested I had some cod liver oil of malt every day it was like treacle and I hated it it was far to sweet