supplements

sixtyplus

Newly diagnosed T2 last week. I have taken joint supplements for years eg Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin and Cod Liver Oil. Started Metformin 2 days ago so have not taken the supplements in case there are adverse effects. Can anyone advise me on this issue as my next visit with the Diabetic nurse is 16 October and I am reluctant to trouble her.

There is some great advice on the forum and I am devouring it.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi sixtyplus.
Welcome to the forum.

There are no known interactions between Metformin and the supplements that you listed. However if you were on Warfarin that would not be the case.

It is always advisable to read the Patient information leaflets with your drugs and also check out carefully any supplements that you wish to take. Your Pharmacist is also an extremely good person to ask as well as they are usually more up to date with information about drug interactions than other HCP's.

sixtyplus

Thanks for the advice, but couldn't find anything on the information that came with the Metformin. Having read further on the forums there seems to be a case for a couple of other Vit supplements, so will look into them also. The Pharmacist would seem to be a good bet though. Thanks again for your advice.

humph

I take all of those supplements and am on the maximum dose of Metformin and i have never had a problem.

I also take cordyceps, resveratrol and CoQ10.