Supplements?

Rottielover

Hi all

If im trying to stay low carb for my prediabetes. Are supplements ok?

Apart from being a prediabetic i also suffer with Tinnitus ( ringing in the ears) its drives me crazy. Theres no cure and no real treatment either only help when your struggling to cope with it.

My local hospital has there own tinnitus clinic and an ENT who specializes in tinnitus ( he has it himself). I told him i have accepted it and will live with it so i can get my life back but my biggest worry is making it worser ( louder) as theres no way i could cope so he said apart from staying away from loud noises like loud events, machinery. He said since my was caused by a bad cold that making sure you have extra vit c in your body is important.
As there have been several studies done on Vitamin C and colds and it wont stop you getting a cold but it will shorten the duration of the cold. He said the quicker you get rid of a cold the better for your ears. The cold i had that caused Tinnitus damaged my ears and thats how i ended up with Tinnitus. He told me many of his patients with tinntus take high doses and have had short and less severe colds. He said in most trials they took at least 500mg of vitamin C a day.

So because i want to keep my tinnitus happy i am going to take a vitamin C supplement as being keto i dont eat many foods with vitamin c but also im never going to get to 500mg of vitamin c. So i have found a supplement im happy with as its natural but am unsure about it and low carb diet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NATURELO-Premium-Vitamin-Organic-Bioflavonoids/dp/B0845Y82K5?th=1&psc=1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's plenty of vitamin C in non-fruits if you know where to look for it. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, eggs, fish, raw meats... Also, keeping vitamin d up to par is just about as important as vitamin c, so keep an eye out.

The supplement seems fine to me, no sugars whatsoever far as I can see. And keep in mind... Keto's about how many grams of carbs you ingest. Pills aren't usually very big/heavy, they rarely make a dent. ;)

Rottielover

There's plenty of vitamin C in non-fruits if you know where to look for it. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, eggs, fish, raw meats... Also, keeping vitamin d up to par is just about as important as vitamin c, so keep an eye out.

The supplement seems fine to me, no sugars whatsoever far as I can see. And keep in mind... Keto's about how many grams of carbs you ingest. Pills aren't usually very big/heavy, they rarely make a dent. ;)

Thanks , there isnt much veg i like. Taking the supplement would be easier.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read that Vitamin C works better in combination with zinc. Several years ago before my diabetes diagnosis I got fed up of having five of six really bad colds every winter. I started taking effervescent vitamin C and zinc every day (nothing fancy just Tesco own brand, which are permanently on 3 for 2 offer!). These days I get colds very occasionally and when I do they are very mild. Coincidence or what? Who knows but I’m not stopping the Vit c and z!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started taking black elderflower extract as a virus-shortening measure.
I keep a bottle in the cupboard for when the symptoms of a cold start. Of course, there is no way to run a control branch of a study on myself, with the same cold, without the black elderflower ;) to see if it really does make a difference. But there is a lot to be said for the placebo effect! lol
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056848/

You may also be interested in what this link says about the relationship between insulin resistance and tinnitus.
https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/how-insulin-resistance-and-diabetes-cause-tinnitus/

Reactions: linda4amici
M

Member496333

Liver is a good choice. More micronutrients than you can shake a stick at.

Not had a cold or any illness whatsoever in more than two years.