Type 1 Support

Hello
my partners was diagnosed with type one diabetes in March this year. Since his diagnosis he’s just sort of been given his injections (4 times a day) and his tester and sent on his way. He has checkups every so often but that’s about it. I feel like there has been a huge lack of support with it all mentally and in regards to information given. For him his whole life has changed and he is struggling mentally to cope with it. When I spoke to one diabetic nurse she said there is a lot of support for people under 18 but once over you’re considered an adult. For me this wasn’t helpful as when under 18 parents are there a lot to help with the burden it can be. Over 18 it’s all left down to that one person who ends up feeling like they’ve failed when something goes wrong. No matter what reassurance I can give I’m no expert and I can’t provide the kind of mental support that is needed. Just feel really let down with the system as no one seems that genuinely interested In how he is coping with everything. He’s now feeling very alone in it all.
Any advice would be great, going to try look into counseling as that seems our only route for emotional support at the moment.

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello
my partners was diagnosed with type one diabetes in March this year. Since his diagnosis he’s just sort of been given his injections (4 times a day) and his tester and sent on his way. He has checkups every so often but that’s about it. I feel like there has been a huge lack of support with it all mentally and in regards to information given. For him his whole life has changed and he is struggling mentally to cope with it. When I spoke to one diabetic nurse she said there is a lot of support for people under 18 but once over you’re considered an adult. For me this wasn’t helpful as when under 18 parents are there a lot to help with the burden it can be. Over 18 it’s all left down to that one person who ends up feeling like they’ve failed when something goes wrong. No matter what reassurance I can give I’m no expert and I can’t provide the kind of mental support that is needed. Just feel really let down with the system as no one seems that genuinely interested In how he is coping with everything. He’s now feeling very alone in it all.
Any advice would be great, going to try look into counseling as that seems our only route for emotional support at the moment.

I am afraid your story is common.

But there's good news ! We're all here to help and we're getting along nicely so get your partner signed up and we will help as much as we can.

Over at Diabetes.Org they run local support groups so if your partner is looking for face to face contact then take a look at this page to see if there's a group in your area.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/local_support_groups

Some face to face groups have been slowed down by Covid restrictions but I think that everything is just starting to get going again.

Let us know how you both get on.
Regards
Urb.

Reactions: PoppyElizabeth

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The GP can sign your partner up for one of the diabetes courses for T1s such as DAFNE. Do ask the surgery/clinic. This forum can provide a lot of advice but either the surgery diabetes nurse or the diabetes clinic can do that to a certain level. If your surgery doesn't have a diabetes nurse do ask a for a referral to the local diabetes clinic. Ask your partner to join these forums and ask anything.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @PoppyElizabeth I felt exactly the same when I was diagnosed, I could just about cope with injections, carb counting etc, but mentally I was in a bad place, I couldn't deal with it. I went to my GP and was offered pills but I didn't want that, I just couldn't get my head round my diagnosis, probably because i'd enjoyed excellent health for 38 years so becoming dependent on insulin was the worst time of my life.

A few things that helped me through those dark days, meditation, I found a group but you can also access online, it lifted my mood so helped me to cope better, I talked with my DSN and used her for support, she was brilliant as she recognised my depression and helped me as much as she could, however your DSN can put you in touch with mental health services who run courses to help cope with depression. I started to exercise which got me outdoors and gave me a serotonin boost. I joined this place and talked to others who understood, I spoke to my family and friends too, I also went low carb which helped to balance out my blood glucose levels more, I noticed a distinct link between erratic control and going high/low with mood, once I was taking less insulin there was less margin for error so less hypos/hypers and more stable. I have now started a local t1 group in Worcs and as soon as we are free to meet it will start up again, but look at Diabetes UK/JDRF/Facebook for local groups too.