Surprisingly Tolerable Snacks from Aldi

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Tolerable" as in they tasted pretty good AND were not crazy for carbs.

Some of them were also expensive. If all 'sweet' snacks were as low-carb as these and as expensive, the nation may be a healthier place! I actually found them all very pleasant. Percentage wise the last 2 snack bars are no higher carb than 85% cocoa chocolate.

I know, I know, snacks are bad, and you can make them better and cheaper at home and all that :)

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised today with three things I found at Aldi.

These were okay. 29p:

These were better. £2.49 for 4:

And these were the stars by far. They tasted the nicest of the lot but were the lowest carbs of the lot. £2.49 for 4:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And how about the second one?

Can’t see how many carbs!?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Some of them were also expensive. If all 'sweet' snacks were as low-carb as these and as expensive, the nation may be a healthier place! I actually found them all very pleasant. Percentage wise the last 2 snack bars are no higher carb than 85% cocoa chocolate.

I know, I know, snacks are bad, and you can make them better and cheaper at home and all that :)

These were okay. 29p:

And these were the stars by far. They tasted the nicest of the lot but were the lowest carbs of the lot. £2.49 for 4:

It has rice flour, tapioca, honey and sugar...not for me sorry!

I would prefer Stevia, def not sugar!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has rice flour, tapioca, honey and sugar...not for me sorry!

I would prefer Stevia, def not sugar!

I think these may appeal to the same sort of person who occasionally has 85% cocoa chocolate. That has sugar in it. Surprisingly, in spite of the sort of ingredients you list, the last ones are even lower in carbs than 85% cocoa chocolate.

Certainly not ideal, but you know, all things are relative!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a simple soul, I go by how things affect my sugars - the nut /sea salt and the peanut bars have very little effect, so I’ve eaten and enjoyed them for a while but not now
My current problem with them is that that they contain milk and I need to be dairy free at the mo so I have had to consign my boxes of the bars to the dimmist recesses of my cupboards :-(

Reactions: ringi

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal view would be if there is anyway you can wean yourself off " snacks" as a way of life, its worth trying. hileever they remain on the agenda its all too easy to think "just one" of the general garbage in the shops - will be fine.

The way to do this , is if you really want a snack - make it a meal - a boiled egg, , tuna mayonaise, an avocado, add a bit of salad, make it look like a proper meal and enjoy it properly. If you still want a nutrition bar - then add that to your proper meal.
if you want to eat chocolate, make that the desert to your proper meal if you can, with a couple of berries and a spoonful of cream. Psychologically trying to get away from grazing if you can.

I say this as someone who hasn't succeeded myself yet. My big downfall is being left near a bag of crisps I love the things.... but I keep trying..

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When ive eaten them they are as a meal, usually breakfast, occasionally lunch when on the run

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal view would be if there is anyway you can wean yourself off " snacks" as a way of life, its worth trying. hileever they remain on the agenda its all too easy to think "just one" of the general garbage in the shops - will be fine.

The way to do this , is if you really want a snack - make it a meal - a boiled egg, , tuna mayonaise, an avocado, add a bit of salad, make it look like a proper meal and enjoy it properly. If you still want a nutrition bar - then add that to your proper meal.
if you want to eat chocolate, make that the desert to your proper meal if you can, with a couple of berries and a spoonful of cream. Psychologically trying to get away from grazing if you can.

I say this as someone who hasn't succeeded myself yet. My big downfall is being left near a bag of crisps I love the things.... but I keep trying..

Yes it's impossible for me so far. I thought the fact that the snack bars here were nearly 70p each would mean I only have one a day. I carried on thinking that till I got home :)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When ive eaten them they are as a meal, usually breakfast, occasionally lunch when on the run

That's what I've tried doing with "sweet" stuff recently. I made a homemade low-carb 'cheesecake' and decided, since it was 300 calories, that it wasn't going to be a dessert - it was going to replace the meal.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running

These were okay. 29p:

I can not wait to try these. I too am always looking for a lowish carb sweet snack. THanks for sharing.

Reactions: AdamJames

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's impossible for me so far. I thought the fact that the snack bars here were nearly 70p each would mean I only have one a day. I carried on thinking that till I got home :)
Unfortunately nearly everything that comes in packets needs to be considered in the context of the entire packet not many humans, thin or fat, actually open packets then leave 3/4 of the contents !

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately nearly everything that comes in packets needs to be considered in the context of the entire packet not many humans, thin or fat, actually open packets then leave 3/4 of the contents !

Then again, I have a colleague who literally has left a packet of opened crisps on her desk all week. She has about three or four a day the folds the packet back over.

I've told her how much I hate her.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'll look out for these, great meal replacement when I'm busy