suspected RH

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have read the sticky at the top of our forum, this should give you a guide to how we believe how to get the best out of testing.
I would ignore the fasting morning test for the meal ones.
As it is food that affects us !
So for testing, pre meal, then depending on what you you really want out of the test, either one hour, our two hours after first bite.
The first hour is to try and find your spike, or to make sure you don't go to hyper.
The second hour test is to find out if your blood glucose levels have returned to normal levels if you have had a hyper. The benefit of the two hour is if you can tolerate some carbs, but only after a lot of testing is done and finding out will tell you
You can cut some testing out if you are certain the meal you are having is ok for you.

Testing is about seeing trends after a while, to see if you are getting better results.
For this you need to keep a food diary and be as detailed as you can.
This will help when seeing your medical practitioners,

ATB.

Reactions: kokhongw

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, I think my GP expects me to pay for my own strips and the vit d I take that was found to be low on bloods. It should be free but I have other expensive meds and don't mind. My sister used to have paracetomol prescribed free. She had money to pay and I thought this kind of thing a terrible waste of NHS money. Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is the cost to the NHS, that pharmaceutical companies are charging for meds, that is scandalous!
So many companies only provide certain types of drugs, so there is no competition, so they can charge what they like!
Tablets such as paracetamol are very cheap over the counter, but the cost for prescription drugs is really expensive!
These companies make really ginormous profits at the expense of the NHS!

The drug I'm on is only made by one company, and so is a lot of the new diabetes drugs, and you would think that as a company that relies on the NHS for its custom, the cost would be more beneficial to the country as it really should do!
When pigs fly!

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an appointment with the Dietition next week monday so it will be easier for me to manage my condition :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The dietician may not be fully understanding of how Hypoglycaemia would benefit from a low carb diet!
If you do, then, the better it is!

But, I won't hold my breath in my experience!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an appointment with the Dietition next week monday so it will be easier for me to manage my condition :)

My experience with the Dietitian was a little disappointing to say the least. It was eagerly awaited in the hope they would give me some amazing advice to help me control my symptoms but in reality all I got was the same old "eat low GI carbs with every meal" and "eat every two hours rubbish"! I hope your experience is a more positive, useful one but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Good luck and I hope it helps you.

All the best
Kaz

Reactions: LoBright4

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience with the Dietitian was a little disappointing to say the least. It was eagerly awaited in the hope they would give me some amazing advice to help me control my symptoms but in reality all I got was the same old "eat low GI carbs with every meal" and "eat every two hours rubbish"! I hope your experience is a more positive, useful one but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Good luck and I hope it helps you.

All the best
Kaz
Yeah true what i got was something simillar
Low gi and eat more often but smaller meals
The interesting bit that i found useful was that i should have like a fist size portion of carb as carbs usually form the majority of my meals

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah true what i got was something simillar
Low gi and eat more often but smaller meals
The interesting bit that i found useful was that i should have like a fist size portion of carb as carbs usually form the majority of my meals

For many, that amount of carbs would be way too much, but I could probably tolerate it providing there was also a decent amount of protein and fat in the meal. I can eat up to a 100g cooked weight of wholegrain/wholewheat rice or pasta with a meal. I can also eat a small jacket potato (up to 150g uncooked weight), two small roast potatoes or even a small amount of mashed potato.

We're all so different or unique as I like to think of it .

If you can fund one now and again, the Freestyle Libra is brilliant while you're experimenting with food and portion sizes. Saves loads of painful finger pricking and gives you a fuller picture of what's happening. I found out this weekend that I can eat a KFC without any trouble at all! You can imagine my joy! I haven't had a takeaway for almost 2 years, so it'll be nice as a very ocassional treat

Have you made any changes to your diet yet?

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
For many, that amount of carbs would be way too much, but I could probably tolerate it providing there was also a decent amount of protein and fat in the meal. I can eat up to a 100g cooked weight of wholegrain/wholewheat rice or pasta with a meal. I can also eat a small jacket potato (up to 150g uncooked weight), two small roast potatoes or even a small amount of mashed potato.

We're all so different or unique as I like to think of it .

If you can fund one now and again, the Freestyle Libra is brilliant while you're experimenting with food and portion sizes. Saves loads of painful finger pricking and gives you a fuller picture of what's happening. I found out this weekend that I can eat a KFC without any trouble at all! You can imagine my joy! I haven't had a takeaway for almost 2 years, so it'll be nice as a very ocassional treat

Have you made any changes to your diet yet?

Ahh i see
Omg that must have been exciting!! XD

I have made minor changes such as having water instead of fizzy drinks/fruit juices like tropacina during meals and including nuts as snacks. I now need to do more food planning and plan meals in advance as i want to try the smaller meals but more often. I am also kind of glad that my reactive hypoglycemia was picked up at quite an early age . I find it hard to get rid of all sugary foods as most outings i go to end up having lots of cookies, sweets, cupcakes etc all of my weak points (as i have a sweet tooth) but sometimes i am able to resist the urge to eat them (only sometimes though)

Last edited: