Sweet potato - low carbohydrate alternatives for chips?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had somehow gained the impression that sweet potato was lower in carbohydrate than "normal" potato despite the name.

Apparently not.

It has Vitamin A but that seems to be the only benefit.

This explains why my experiment with deep fried sweet potato chips did not go well.

Does anyone know of a vegetable which can be deep fried to give a similar effect to "ordinary" chips but without the massive carbohydrate hit?

I did love the chips I made.
Tremendous in a Low Carbohydrate Roll.
Far to nice to be good for me, unfortunately.

Strangely, I had fish and a few chips (potato) the other night and it didn't seem to spike my BG.
Life is complicated.

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac or even swede can make quite good chips. Toss in good oil with seasonings.
Commercial sweet potato fries often come in carby coating

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I had butternut squash on my meat-less Monday - with 2 salmon fillets, beansprouts and boy choy....I did have a plate of duck and beetroot. As I said I had "less" meat with the fish.

Reactions: hankjam

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had somehow gained the impression that sweet potato was lower in carbohydrate than "normal" potato despite the name.

Apparently not.

It has Vitamin A but that seems to be the only benefit.

This explains why my experiment with deep fried sweet potato chips did not go well.

Does anyone know of a vegetable which can be deep fried to give a similar effect to "ordinary" chips but without the massive carbohydrate hit?

I did love the chips I made.
Tremendous in a Low Carbohydrate Roll.
Far to nice to be good for me, unfortunately.

Strangely, I had fish and a few chips (potato) the other night and it didn't seem to spike my BG.
Life is complicated.
I make celeriac chips, the slight celery flavour goes with fish more than meat in my opinion. I parboil the chips for about 5 mins in salted water before roasting in the over with plenty of oil, sometimes I dust them with cumin. They are very good but never really get very crispy, deep frying might be better, but I haven't got a deep fryer. I would be interested to know how they turn out if you try them

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We make deep fried in lard proper potato chips. I just have half a dozen. Maximum 10 on rare occasions. They make absolutely no difference whatsoever to my levels. Portion size works for me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am wondering what would happen if you deep fried courgettes/zuchinni???? Anyone tried this? They work awesomely fried as a replacement for pasta and even bread.....

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My vote goes to topinambour (or Jerusalem artichoke). They take more time to be done, so should be initially fried (or pre-cooked) at a lower temperature or cut into smaller pieces. They do have a bit of a sweet/nutty taste, have 4g of usuable carbs, and mostly contain inulin instead of starch.

Other on the "What have you eaten" thread on the low-carb section have also suggested haloumi fries, which have no carbs at all.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I have learnt a new word. You have reminded me to try them although I understand I may have to spend some time outdoors after eating them.
Can't you just blame the dog/cat?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My vote goes to topinambour (or Jerusalem artichoke). They take more time to be done, so should be initially fried (or pre-cooked) at a lower temperature or cut into smaller pieces. They do have a bit of a sweet/nutty taste, have 4g of usuable carbs, and mostly contain inulin instead of starch.

Other on the "What have you eaten" thread on the low-carb section have also suggested haloumi fries, which have no carbs at all.

Good thought about Jerusalem artichokes.
I used them as an alternative to roast potatoes long ago.
The can give you wind, though.

Haloumi is very good fried; we often have that as a summer snack with chilled white wine and sometimes an onion and tomato salad drizzled with olive oil.
However it doesn't seem to be anything like the traditional potato chip.

Thanks to those who mentioned celeriac.
I had forgotten about that, and it does make good chip-a-likes.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have learnt a new word. You have reminded me to try them although I understand I may have to spend some time outdoors after eating them.
Finally found a source of Jerusalem artichokes as Waitrose have just introduced them. Roasted some with the beef for dinner tonight and I was most impressed, very similar to roast potatoes. If there is a way to get the skins to be crispy they would be perfect. I shall definitely be having them again if there are no serious repercussions later.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I’ve seen people make cauliflower fries or if you are feeling a bit cheesy - halloumi or cheese stick fries? It’s not veggie but in case you are feeling cheesy.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butternut squash gets my vote - but cooked in the oven turned up as high as possible. tossed in a little olive oil and paprika, they're ready when the outside is blackened Swede is good too, although I usually roast it instead of potatoes Courgette (Zucchini) fries I've had pre DB they're usually coated in a batter though which kind of defeats the object, but the ones from my local Italian restaurant were amazing

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweet potato is not Low Carb. It has much the same amount as normal potatoes but has a lower GI value. This means in practice that the bump in bgl is lower but longer duration than normal potatoes. Caution, as has been said earlier, the commercial frozen sweet potato fries are dipped in starch to protect their look and keep them from sticking together (much like cheese slices are) and this can cause major bgl spikes that are long-lasting. My daughter is of the opinion that they are good for Low Carb, since her guru for her own LC journey says so, and she tries to get me to try them, I did, and regretted it immediately, She is not diabetic (yet) so my bgl meter is giving me fake news apparently.

Personally, I have great results with normal potatoes. They have to be the miniature or baby ones, so can do saute or roast but not chipped. Potatoes are high starch as they ripen, so early on the carb value is low. They are after all seeds. I find Aldi to be a reliable source.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The seeds of potatoes are in the poisonous green tomato-like fruit. Potatoes themselves are a tuberous root.
Technically and semantically you are correct. But when was the last time you saw potato seeds (PTS) on sale in the UK? What do gardeners here plant to get a crop? Seed Potatoes.