Sweet things

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I do not have a very sweet tooth but once a day I fancy a bit of chocolate. I know I caneat dark chocolate a small bar and it hs no effect on my sugars, I also know I can eat say a couple of milk chocolates they also have little effect. I also very occasionally will have a bit of cake - I do know that has an effect and only eat small amounts. I am not anti any food and eat to my meter if it says it is OK to eat a small amount of sweet stuff I do, I do not eat large amounts of anything that will damage my readings and keep 90% of the time to under 7.8 sometimes I go up to 8 and once last week was 8.3. So I feel I am under control. is there any danger in eating sweet things?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I too eat VERY small portions of sweet or carby things every now and then
The key word for me is: Very small.
My husband and I had to go into town yesterdqay to collect something and decided to treat ourselves to lunch at Bill's. The food there is great and they do serve a "naked" burger. Mine came with a mini flowerpot of thin chips. I ate 6 of them.
I am currently eating my turkey and leek soup for my lunch.[homemade from the carcass] There's a few thin slices of potato in the soup.
Most evenings, I have my one strip of dark hazelnut chocolate. I also sometimes have a taste of some goodies I make for my grandchildren. I personally try not to let my BG go above 6.5. Rarely above 6! Even over Christmas I've kept below 7. It's become a habit with me. If someone has a celebration, I join in with the smallest possible bit of whatever.
The key to most things is in the portion size.
Hana

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also eat sweets and dessert (on regular basis :)) The thing is you need to know what to eat and not too much of it. Most cakes you buy are full of sugar absolutely unnecessarily. I prefer baking and making desserts by myself. i usually use dark chocolate and make desserts on cream. They are full of fat but dont affect your readings that much. here is a link for my chocolate brownie. One of my best cakes :shifty:

http://diabeticgoodcooking.blogspot.co. ... ownie.html

twinkle1980

ewelina said:
I also eat sweets and dessert (on regular basis :)) The thing is you need to know what to eat and not too much of it. Most cakes you buy are full of sugar absolutely unnecessarily. I prefer baking and making desserts by myself. i usually use dark chocolate and make desserts on cream. They are full of fat but dont affect your readings that much. here is a link for my chocolate brownie. One of my best cakes :shifty:

http://diabeticgoodcooking.blogspot.co. ... ownie.html

Going to try that tomorrow!

I have a choccy tooth too, and at the moment its co-ops ghanian 85% choccy thats sustaining me! 17.1g/100g carbs and its not as bitter as many of them out there (cannot stand the lindt one!), but not quite as nice as the green and blacks... hwoever its on offer in my co-op at £0.75 per 100g bar! BARGAIN!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a choccy tooth too, and at the moment its co-ops ghanian 85% choccy thats sustaining me! 17.1g/100g carbs and its not as bitter as many of them out there (cannot stand the lindt one!), but not quite as nice as the green and blacks... hwoever its on offer in my co-op at £0.75 per 100g bar! BARGAIN!twinkle1980

OMG 17.1g and not bitter thats like miracle. Need to try it out for my desserts. I usually use 70% as didnt find any nice with 80% or above. Dont like Lindt either. I use Menier or tesco brand (75%) which is nice as well. Both about £1 per 100g. I love green&black, especially dark one with cherries. They are much more expensive though and difficult to find. Only one shop in my area sells the one with cherries.
Good luck with the brownie. Its so nice to know that people are actually interested in my blog. It makes me even more motivated :D