Sweeteners?

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since diagnosed iv swapped sugar for Sweeteners, is this the right thing to do? Dont drink much tea or coffee, but whats your thoughts .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
A lot of the sweeteners are allegedly not so good for us so would be best to go cold turkey and give them up , it's not so bad and I personally can't stand the taste of sweet tea or coffee now

Yulkuy

There are different sweeteners in terms of glucose\insulin impact and effects on your body. Famous "explosive diarrhea" ***** bears have sweeteners inside them. Sweet drinks with aspartame seem fine if you don't have huge problems with your liver.

Stevia and erythritol are the overall best choices as far as I know, but they aren't that common.

Diabetic chocolate often has maltitol as sugar sub and people get explosive diarrhea on that too. Maltitol has variable glycemic index and sometimes has pretty significant on blood glucose. I've measured glucose eating chocolate with sugar and maltitol, sugar chocolate spikes me from 4.5-4.7 close to 6.0, and sugar chocolate spikes me to 7, sometimes closer to 8 at 1 hour mark. Quite a significant difference even considering that those numbers are considered healthy. I didn't have any GI issues after eating like 80g of maltitol chocolate in one go, but it might be different for you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other problem with sweetners is that they may well be addictive, or at least keep ones sweet tooth active.

I occasionally use one in baking but I'd never have a drink with one, I find they taste chemical and synthetic.

D

Deleted member 543160

Whether or not it's the right thing to do is really up you you - it's a personal choice. and some of us opt to give up sweet stuff completely.

I use erythritol and stevia both individually and in combination without any issues, and they are both recommended as safe for diabetic use. I don't actually want or like the real stuff now.

Xylitol is another safe sweetener - unless you own or are in regular contact with dogs as it causes hypos and can be a killer

Have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/sweeteners for a guide.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I changed from sugar to Sweetex in tea many years ago. I also add it to porridge when I’m at work.

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
Best is not to use any of them no matter what they are called and this is what I know and what I believe in so but, you will see that you will get different points of view on this subject and as far as I am concerned the actual sugar is better than using any kind of sweeteners but, I do not recommend consuming it either other than in some certain circumstances.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used sweeteners for a while, but found that when tea started to taste strange I gave it up, along with the sweeteners and now I have various flavoured 'teas' - mint liquorice, lemon etc, and drink coffee with cream. I now perceive things as sweet I did not before - beetroot and peas for instance.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only sweetener I've found that I can stand the taste of in tea and coffee is Canderel. I found Stevia truly awful and it didn't taste sweet at all. I gave up sugar in tea and coffee when I was at Uni, many, many moons ago but I never adjusted to the taste (even after 18 months). Things like beetroot and peas have always tasted sweet to me :oldman: