SWINE FLU THREAD

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
From the European Medicines Agency.

TAMIFLU.
Authorised by the European Commission on 20 June 2002 for use in all European Union Member States as an antiviral medicine for the prevention or treatment of influenza.

As for testing of Tamiflu. Here is an extract about how it was studied and finally approved for use.
Tamiflu has been compared with placebo (a dummy treatment) in studies in the treatment of flu (2,413 adults and adolescents, 741 elderly patients and 1,033 children aged one year or above). The effectiveness was measured using a score card to record symptoms (feeling feverish, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, cough, overall discomfort and runny nose).

In the prevention of flu, Tamiflu was studied in patients who had been exposed to the disease when one of their family members contracted flu (962 cases) or during an epidemic (1,562 subjects aged between 16 and 65 years, and 548 elderly subjects in nursing homes). The studies measured the number of cases of flu, proven by laboratory tests. A study also looked at using Tamiflu in a family setting (277 families) for both the treatment of the person with flu, and the treatment or prevention of flu in those in contact with him or her.

In children aged between six months and one year, a small study has been carried out to show that the recommended dose of Tamiflu produces similar levels of the medicine in the blood as the doses that are effective in older children and in adults.

The benefits that were found.
In the treatment studies in adults, Tamiflu reduced the duration of the illness from an average of 5.2 days for patients taking placebo, to 4.2 days for patients taking Tamiflu. The average reduction in the length of the disease in children aged one to six years was 1.5 days.

In the prevention studies, Tamiflu reduced the incidence of flu among the people in contact with a flu sufferer. In the study carried out during an epidemic, 1% of the people taking Tamiflu developed flu after contact, compared with 5% of those taking placebo. In families with one person with flu, 7% of the family members in the household developed flu when receiving prevention with Tamiflu, compared with 20% with no prevention treatment.

Why has Tamiflu been approved ?
The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) decided that Tamiflu’s benefits are greater than its risks for the treatment and prevention of influenza.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I had my annual flu jab last week and the nurse was talking about the swine flu jab might be coming soon. I asked whether it was safe but as yet they've not had all the information to make the final decision to use it. Up to the doctors I think and to us the patients.
I'm still undecided and will wait to see what happens first. :wink:

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I seem to hear more and more against the swine flu jab, still in two minds about have mine.
I have been told that some place in USA has banned it.
I just dont know.
Graham1441. :twisted: :twisted:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Swine flu - greater risk of complications for T2 or T1

In the news section there is a link talking about flu complications. It mentions that people with T2 are at more risk of developing complications, does that mean T1's are not at a greater risk? Or are both types at greater risk but they've failed to mention T1? Here's a link to the page : http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2009/Oct ... tions.html

dot

My son had an appointment with the DN today and we talked about flu jabs. Her opinion was that he wouldn't be more badly affected by the flu, but that it would be harder to control his levels while ill.

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
Hi, I had Swine Flu very recently. I was off work for 7 days in total (I first fell ill on a Wednesday afternoon so I had Thursday and Friday and the whole of the next week off but it was 11 days in total because of the two weekends). I felt a bit tired when I first returned to work (part time) but soon felt normal. The Swine Flu wasn't all that bad to be honest and I suppose at least I have some natural immunity now! My son also got it and because he has ME he had Tamiflu and he was much less unwell than me. I was put off the Tamiflu by reports of nasty side effects but my son didn't have any so I regretted my decision but it was too late by then. I am not going to have the Swine Flu jab as it is too new and untested for my liking. My son isn't going to have it either (he is 24 so he decides for himself). I rather enjoy telling people I had Swine Flu just to see them back away! That's just me being silly, I stayed away from people while I was infectious. :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter has swine flu now, she came down with it on Sunday evening. Her 10 year old brother came down with it on Tuesday morning. Both children were seen by a doctor (a different doctor for each of them) and both advised pretty much the same thing. My T1 daughter is no more at risk than anyone else they said, apart from the problem of keeping control of her blood sugars. We decided against using Tamiflu for either of our children because the possible side effects didn't seem to outweigh the benefits. Jess hasn't had vomiting or diarrhea at all, her brother vomited once. But if they got the vomiting and diarrhea side effects from Tamiflu it would have made them feel more unwell and especially for Jess probably put her at more risk from her diabetes.

The flu symptoms came of very quickly, quite frightening how quickly each of them became very unwell, but once they got Calpol and Nurofen into their system the temps came down and they feel much better. They both had all the classic symptoms for swine flu, headache, aches, chills, stomach aches, high temperature, sore throat, cough. The high temperature becomes very high very quickly. I checked my son's temperature before school on Tuesday morning, it was a normal 37C and he said he felt well, the only symptom then was a slight dry tickly cough. Within two hours his temperature was 39.8C and his cough had become worse and more chesty and he felt very unwell. A similar thing happened with Jess on Sunday evening.

The doctors have told us to keep a close eye on them because the complications come from secondary infections, like a chest infection for example. This would need to be treated by antibiotics. They have told us to bring the children in to see them as often as we feel they need to be seen, any worries at all and they'll check them over for us again. We phone in advance and they walk us straight into the Dr's room, no waiting in the waiting area as we'd infect other people that way.

The problem I've had with Jess is controlling her BS readings. I'm testing for ketones every day and so far the highest we've had is 0.1, the other readings have all been 0.0 which is good. She's having a lot more insulin than usual and we're struggling to get readings below 10 a lot of the time, we've managed in the 5s a few times but it's not long before they shoot up again. For now until I get more control back I've put her onto a much lower carb diet as I'm finding that easier to cope with. She's still got a good appetite and hasn't lost it at all.

bagsy

hello there i have type 2 diabetes and have just recently got over swine flu, its not nice however flu isnt nice at the best of times . I was given the drug Tamiflu 2 days into it and it is fantastic , within 24hrs i was feeling more human again, its possible i felt worse than others as i have other medical issues mainly neuro ones but hey im ok now its poss to catch it more than once however as it can mutate.

Just carry on with good hygiene carry a bottle of hand gel with you youll be a ok

chrissieworne

the jab, to have or not to have?

I have had pneumonia jab a few months ago, the flu jab 4 weeks ago and I now have been offered the swine flu jab, has anyone had it yet? I had no probs with the other two apart from a sore arm

Chrissie

Shazza

My T1 son is going to get all 3 injections at the same time next week, sore arm but better than having flu

kirk

swine flu

hi folks
Has any one had the swine flu injection yet.I got the flu jab as i do every year.I have just started on an insulin pump and the flu jab through my bloods through the roof and i had ketones for the first time in ages. Has anyone else had experiance of this.
:D

thanks
kirk

Rushy

I got my invitation for the swine flu jab letter from the GP last week and have just booked my first appointment (Second three weeks after).

mumnpops

hi
my 6 year old daughter has got swine flu, diagnosed today.
the rest of us have got a cold, but what do i look out for?
i have type 2, my hubby has asthma, and my son has a heart condition.

im very worried about my children.

smillingjimmyc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Got the letter regards vaccine marked "urgent information strongly recommend you have it etc" I attended the clinic as requested (today 10am-2pm) to find doors locked (1.30pm) I was not pleased having driven 5 mile or so,nor were the other 20 or so people who were milling around the clinic entrance.After phone calls I was reluctantly informed they had run out of vaccine,surely it would have been common sense to have enough vaccine as per letters that had been sent out.
The result is that there is another clinic saturday but to get there early because they have told all that went "unjabbed" today to get there early too!!!
Anywhere else had this farce?

lolly1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Swine Flu Vaccine

Hiya, just after a bit of advice. I know of a type 1 diabetic who was advised not to have the swine flu vaccine by his consoltant, as it would really mess up his control. He was then told by his GP that he had to have it, and then spent the week vomiting!! I am now unsure as to whether i should have it or not. Can anyone help, please. :)

sugarfree2

Re: Swine Flu Vaccine

surely they cannot insist you have this jab ive got my flu jab tommorrow which is ok but will not have swine flu one not yet anyway

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had the jab on Monday, sore arm by the evening, couldn't sleep at all and got up in the morning aching all over and feeling nauseous.

went into work for a vital meeting, with splitting headache, back home by lunchtime, slept the afternoon.

Tuesday very sore arm, but 200% better, went to work for the day.

Today, fine.

First time I've had any reaction, other than sore arm; but only 3rd I've had ever.

T2 BG went up a few points on Monday, but yesterday and today fasting counts were best for some time (under 6).

Would I have it again? Yes, probably - but if I'd known before I went that such a small %age of medical professionals are actually opting for it (less than 50%, I'd read), I might have thought twice.

rosqho

Hi,
I have just recovered from the dreaded swine flu (T2 since March08). It took 10 days before I could stay out of bed for more than a couple of hours and I still tire very easily, but other than that swine flu was not as bad as I had feared. BS all over the place and higher than normal, normally 5.5 - 9.0, while I was ill BS was ranging from 7.5 - 13.0 with one major high of 15.7 but back to my usual levels now.
If you get it, stay warm and drink plenty. I did take one tamiflu tablet, but made me feel loads worse, sickness and dreadful headache! Hope this helps.

tamar

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I had the swine flu jab yesterday. My BS went up to 18.2 late last night and I felt pretty unwell for a coupld of hours! Coming back down to my normal levels this morning. I do have a very sore arm but apart from that seem to be suffering no other ill effects.