1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Swollen feet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by gazzab, Jan 9, 2019.

1. gazzab

gazzab Type 2 · Active Member

Hi Everyone

I am 49 type 2 diabetic. Badly controlled blood sugars due to a variety of reasons.

My feet and ankles have really swollen up I can push a dimple into the selling very deeply and it takes well over a minute to come back to being normal. The interweb is useless because when I looked it up basically I am dying of various diseases. I don't trust my doctor even if I could get an appointment.

Anyone any ideas. I have had a headache from around the same time the swelling was first noticed. Not get any other symptms than that

Thanks in advance

oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated"

You know what I am going to say, so please do see a doctor.

There are many things it could be such as high blood pressure (go to a local pharmacy and they may be able to check that), kidney problems etc but it does need to be treated unless you want to risk your lone (or short) term health and possible stroke , heart attack etc.

I don't want to panic you but please, please see a doctor as it is unlikely to get better on it's own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Antechinus

Antechinus Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

It sounds like pitting oedema. There are many reasons for it and some are very serious medical conditions. If it were me I would get it checked out by a doctor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With respect, diabetic with uncontrolled blood glucose concentration and swollen feet - I’d bypass the GP and dial 111.

5. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you not ask to see another doctor?

6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

And yeah, here's another one who wants you to go to a doc. If you're badly controlled, it could be anything. Like heart disease. or kidneys. or an infection. Better safe than sorry, man. Get thee to the quack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gazzab

Thank you for your replies. I know I should see a GP but you get the usual here's a sick note option. The other doctors are so filled with appointments you can't get anything even well in advance especially when they only allow appointments for that day. They open a 08:30 when you start ringing you can't get through until 08:50 and then it's all appointments are gone.

I realise its pitted oedema just really considering the answers google gave doesn't really fit any of the symptoms I wondered if anyone was suffering similarly.

8. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you not get an emergency appointment (that's the only way to get one on the same day at my docs), you really need it seen quickly, unchecked/ignored foot problems are the main reasons for amputations for diabetics afaik.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim Lahey

Agree. I don’t imagine a diabetic with foot problems will have much trouble getting an emergency appointment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gazzab

Thanks, everyone. I actually expected just bog standard go see the doctor but you actually gave good suggestions i am calling 111 for more advise.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Jim Lahey

Good man. You know it makes sense! Best of luck and keep us updated. Fingers crossed that it’s nothing that can’t be easily addressed :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

Yes, medical advice would be useful.
    Some drugs eg calcium channel blockers (amlodopine, felodopine, nifedepine etc), and TZDs eg Pioglitazone and alpha blockers (eg doxazosin) cause swollen feet. Hopefully this is the cause and the ofending drug can be swapped.
    Sometimes after a period of poor control, better control with insulin causes temporary swelling which resolves over 6 weeks or so.
    I guess that you have read the other causes, but they would be less likely than the above in a 49 year old person.
    Best wishes

13. gazzab

Hi SimonCrox. None of those causes applies to me I don't take any of those medications in fact I don't take any medications. Not on insulin and blood glucose is unchanged for years.

14. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I used to have a badly swollen foot/lower leg, since dropping the level of carbs I eat the swelling has gone even in the heat of last summer. I did have it checked with a GP and there was nothing they would do but prescribe diuretic tablets and the comment was that I was 'too young' for those. It is not a quick fix but over time it worked for me.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gazzab

So I managed to get an appointment for tomorrow then the swelling went down and back to normal so i will cancel the appointment so someone who needs it can have it

• Like Like x 2
  16. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great that it has gone down but if it comes back do go as things that are treated eary, if they actualy need treated, respond better.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook