Symptoms of raised blood sugar

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys!

I have a question, if you guys have an increase in blood sugar - not necessarily a big spike, just a notable increase - are there any symptoms (however mild) that you feel?

I have an obsessive compulsive and addictive personality and with the help of my doctor have agreed not to be checking my own levels due to mental health reasons (numbers are often a trigger for me).

Diet-wise I've read a lot on this forum and I think I'm going pretty well and I am hopeful that my next Hb1ac will decrease from 43. But I guess I'm just looking for ways to identify foods that don't "suit me" without relying on glucose readings.

I appreciate that the answer to this may well be, there is no way to do this. But just thought I'd ask!

Edit: To clarify, I asked my doctor if he could recommend a meter and he was wary based on my history.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can't test, for whatever reason... I'd say just go keto. You shouldn't see any spikes on that, really. If you can't test to check foods, then just go for foods that don't spike one at all. For me, if something makes me spike (and it would have to be 3.0mmol/l higher than where I started from or more, for me to feel it) I get a little confused, palpitations, wobbly legs, hot flashes, basically the same thing that used to happen at hypo's. If you remainhigh for a longer period of time, your body gets used to it and you won't feel a thing. I never noticed hitting 22.0mmol's for instance, pre-diagnosis. That was my "normal". But if you want to avoid feeling like that all together... Just go seriously, very, very low carb with a ketogenic diet (Or carnivore? Even less carbs in that than keto).

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi there Rosie,
Prediabetic diagnosed with level of 42.
My warning sign is urgency and frequency of urination.
You may recognise this.
By sticking to about 100g carbs a day. With no meal exceeding 30g have got HbA1c down to 40.
Good luck with your new way of eating.

Last edited:

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!

I have a question, if you guys have an increase in blood sugar - not necessarily a big spike, just a notable increase - are there any symptoms (however mild) that you feel?

I have an obsessive compulsive and addictive personality and with the help of my doctor have agreed not to be checking my own levels due to mental health reasons (numbers are often a trigger for me).

Diet-wise I've read a lot on this forum and I think I'm going pretty well and I am hopeful that my next Hb1ac will decrease from 43. But I guess I'm just looking for ways to identify foods that don't "suit me" without relying on glucose readings.

I appreciate that the answer to this may well be, there is no way to do this. But just thought I'd ask!

Edit: To clarify, I asked my doctor if he could recommend a meter and he was wary based on my history.
Dry mouth, super-thirsty, need to pee a lot, generally not feeling 'normal'

Reactions: RosieMaxwell