Symptoms of type 2?

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may sou d like a daft question but what signs/symptoms did you have before being diagnosed with type 2?

I have been diagnosed as type 1 since childhood and cant even remember anything about being diagnosed (apart from spending a week in hospital).

I have a VERY strong suspicion that my hubby may be type 2 but just curious as to what made you think you were diabetic?

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar I remember the eating/sleeping/weeing/drinking signs which is him to a tee.

He has been a grumpy sod lately and everytime I mention checking hos sugar levels, its like I've asked to cut off a finger. The rare occasion I have managed to check, the highest has been 12.4 but the excuse is 'I just had a sweet/drink of juice'.

He wont go doctor and is actually doing my head in.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The diagnostic criteria for diabetes requires a random blood sugar reading of over 11.1. Random means any time, including just after having eaten a massive cake. You might want to have a chat with him about going to see the doctor again. Remember he might not be keen to be diagnosed with diabetes - he's got some pretty close experience of the realities so the idea of having that be his reality might be a little frightening.

Reactions: Freema and MH2010

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have always been borderline with high blood glucose and respiratory problems at birth and high birth weight (9 lb 12 oz to mother under 5' 1"). When I had an exacerbation requiring insulin two years ago I was having really blurry vision, very thirsty all the time and felt like I had the flu for weeks on end. I felt so much better after the first insulin shot that I was convinced. Tell your husband that with Type 2 they usually start with diet and exercise suggestions first but it is very important to start getting his blood glucose down or he will begin to suffer complications which may not be reversible. Mention eye, heart, kidney and vascular and nerve damage in the feet and legs. Tell him neuropathy is a real pain. The energy I have now compared to before is just amazing. My mood is also much happier and more stable.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Weight gain, particularly around the belly, often but not always can be a sign as well. In addition to what @swusa has said you can tell him that erectile disfunction is also a common complication of uncontrolled diabetes.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
This may sou d like a daft question but what signs/symptoms did you have before being diagnosed with type 2?

I have been diagnosed as type 1 since childhood and cant even remember anything about being diagnosed (apart from spending a week in hospital).

I have a VERY strong suspicion that my hubby may be type 2 but just curious as to what made you think you were diabetic?
The symptoms came on rapidly. Weakness, constant thirst, dramatic weight loss, severe sweating and dimming of vision. I collapsed at home and was rushed to hospital.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say I had symptoms of it as such but what I did have at the time was UTI and I had weight gain. I found out on the same day I had type 2 and PCOS. So I guess my weight was the biggest clue. Since diagnosis I've lost and gained several times. But I'm at the point now where weight loss is a lot harder due to restriction of diet and meds I'm on. If you suspect your hubby is possibly diabetic, you could be on the money. It may be worth asking him to get a hbA1c test done when he sees his GP. I wish you the best. :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I didnt have the usual symptoms that are associated with diabetics. From what I can remember I had thrush twice so my doctor wanted a blood sample!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had very few symptoms, but I have been low carbing for a very long time. I have no idea why I was given a full blood test - I have never had one before even though I have been on Thyroxine for many years, had a diabetic grandmother and put on weight around my middle so I have an equator rather than a waist.
My grandmother died of the complications of diabetes, and it was not a good way to go.
I'd be having some very strong words with anyone risking uncontrolled diabetes.

Reactions: MH2010 and SWUSA_

foxy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have any symptoms either as far as I can remember .. in fact I was more than a little surprised when I was told although I am and always have been border line so I've never had to take any meds at all.
I've always been chubby and when I got to about 50 I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and then about 60 with type 2 db. Tbh I really don't take much notice of it at all .. although just recently I've been told my blood glucose is now getting too high and I may have to start taking meds for it... no doubt due to my indulgences with milk chocolate which I find very difficult to be without!

Reactions: MH2010 and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I didn't have any symptoms either as far as I can remember .. in fact I was more than a little surprised when I was told although I am and always have been border line so I've never had to take any meds at all.
I've always been chubby and when I got to about 50 I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and then about 60 with type 2 db. Tbh I really don't take much notice of it at all .. although just recently I've been told my blood glucose is now getting too high and I may have to start taking meds for it... no doubt due to my indulgences with milk chocolate which I find very difficult to be without!
If you are trying to delay taking meds to control your blood glucose and chocolate is your biggest issue: Try eating the dark milk chocolate and gradually move to higher levels of dark chocolate. Your tastes change as you eat less sugar. I used to eat a lot of milk chocolate but haven't for about a year now-I tried a fun size (20 carb) bar recently and did not even enjoy it. I much prefer dried fruit or a half a banana for an occasional treat now.

Reactions: MH2010

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your responses. A morning reading of 13.6 compared to my 5.9 has made him see sense and has called the GP so waiting for them to call us back as they have no appointments today.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your responses. A morning reading of 13.6 compared to my 5.9 has made him see sense and has called the GP so waiting for them to call us back as they have no appointments today.

Oh glad your hubby has agreed to see the GP. No doubt he doesn't want to have diabetes, who does? But at least he has a good place to come here for info and support. I wish him the best. :)