symptoms

kelv

I am newly diagnosed and I am on Metformin. I am having some strange symptoms which are, I have excess hair growth on my stomach and back and I am getting really acute burning sensations on my stomach and the top of my legs. I also have the feeling like a thousand needles being pushed into my skin all at once on my stomach. I also can't stand the slightest weight of my Tshirt on my skin as it is too painful like bad sunburn. Goes any one know why or whether it is connected to the Metaformin. If it is can I get an alternative treatment?
Kelv

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've never heard of anything like that associated with Metformin. It usually causes the "tummy grumblies".
Go see your doctor or DSN.
What are your BGs like?
Of course it could be unrelated to diabetes, but it sounds horrid

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've never heard of anything like that associated with Metformin. It usually causes the "tummy grumblies".
Go see your doctor or DSN.
What are your BGs like?
Of course it could be unrelated to diabetes, but it sounds horrid.
I just had a thought; could it be an allergy? if so, it needs checking out.

ChocFish

Hi Kelv, have you asked your doctor regarding these symptoms?
I have had similar sensitivities and that was diagnosed as neuropathy, do you test your bg, what are your readings like?

All the best

Karen

kelv

Thanks Karen, I am going for a neurological scan in January, maybe it is this and not the drug. I will ask the doctor as it is scarey not knowing what is causing it, or whether it can be treated. So far none of the doctors I have spoken to about it have seemed to know what it is or been able to give me any advice about it.

Kelv

Katharine

The sort of sensation you describe does sound like neuropathy. I'm not diabetic but I've had shingles. It is a rather horrible sensation.

Although you have only been diagnosed quite recently, it is possible that you've actually had high blood sugars for years. The accumulated damage may be the problem. Have you had your eyes checked out yet?

kelv

Hi

I haven't had my eyes tested yet but I know my eyesight has deteriorated over the last few months before I found out that I had diabetes. I guess that will be one of the many tests I will need in my full diagnosis.

kelv