T1 45 years, just starting lchf diet.

AmandaMcL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently returned to the UK after living in NZ since 1987. Female, 51 years old. I have had T1 diabetes (and all the associated name changes.... ;-) since 1971. Reasonably complication free with the exception of 2 frozen shoulders and some mild neuropathy. Due to ongoing swinging bsl and high HbA1c, I am going to try a lchf diet. Looking for similar people, long time T1's who have made the dietary change. Also recommendations for GP/endocrinologist in the Woking Surrey area who are supportive of this. Many thanks.

Reactions: robert72

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @AmandaMcL
welcome to the forum !! :)
I have shared frozen shoulder with you over the years.:eek:

there are some LC'ers on the forum that are type 1
will tag @robert72 -- he is a wise and knowledgeable person to know .

have you explored all the timing of your bolus injections and doing some basal testing before starting LC -- it may be you could
continue on your current diet before making those changes -- just a thought !!

Reactions: azure and robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AmandaMcL

I clocked up 45 years last Tuesday :) Have been low carb for about three and a half years now, but started by eliminating major carbs and finding something to substitute with. That also gave me time to adjust insulin as I worked my way lower over several months. I don't think my team would be supportive so I just get on with it. They like my numbers but have never asked ;)

Reactions: himtoo

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AmandaMcL welcome to the forum. I am not quite the description you are looking for, I am type 2 recently diagnosed but I have followed LCHF and my blood results have improved to the point that I am now high normal. I feel better, lost 2 stone in weight, food so much more enjoyable and am in control. You have joined a forum where you will get great advice, information, support and friendship. Good luck.