T1 and pregnancy

Pollybaby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are there any T1 diabetics out there, that have had difficult pregnancies? And what was the outcome good or bad. I need as much info as I can. Trying to make a decision myself.
Many thanks

Reactions: himtoo

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are there any T1 diabetics out there, that have had difficult pregnancies? And what was the outcome good or bad. I need as much info as I can. Trying to make a decision myself.
Many thanks
Hi,i had a tough pregnancy but there are lots of diabetic women who have "straightforward" pregnancies.
My son was born at 31 weeks and weighed 2lb 15oz,i had high blood pressure and was unable to take my usual medication to control it.
20 years later my son is a very healthy young man,6ft 1 and in uni doing an engineering degree.I never had anymore,although i would have loved to.Lots of luck,best thing i ever did.

Pollybaby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,i had a tough pregnancy but there are lots of diabetic women who have "straightforward" pregnancies.
My son was born at 31 weeks and weighed 2lb 15oz,i had high blood pressure and was unable to take my usual medication to control it.
20 years later my son is a very healthy young man,6ft 1 and in uni doing an engineering degree.I never had anymore,although i would have loved to.Lots of luck,best thing i ever did.

@ nessals946 thanks so much for your response. I’m so happy for you that your son is healthy and by the sound of it successful. You must be so proud. ️ Do you mind me asking if you were in hospital much throughout the pregnancy and did you have difficulty controlling your blood pressure and how were you after pregnancy? Were there any changes to your eyes/kidneys?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Pollybaby I had gestational with mine, diagnosed at 23 weeks which then became type 1 about 3 years later, had a healthy pregnancy although induced early which is typical for 'diabetes' baby. I was under the care of the consultant at my hospital and received lots of regular checks. Baby was healthy but decided one was enough for me, wouldn't change a thing its so worth doing. If you are planning to then speak to your team first so you get on the radar and listen to your own intuition about what you want don't be convinced by other people and their stories, lots of very healthy babies out there :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My babies were born 39 and 37 years ago so a lot’s changed and it should be much easier now that there’s cgm and extensive carb info, but I can really recommend having a good team to support you. I did with the first, at a Teaching Hospital, and had to use the knowledge I’d gained there for the second as the team at the next hospital were pants!
Keeping blood sugars low and frequently adjusting dosage as insulin needs rose during pregnancy was worth all the extra effort as my daughters are brilliant *irritating proud mummy face* and so are my grandsons!

Pollybaby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My babies were born 39 and 37 years ago so a lot’s changed and it should be much easier now that there’s cgm and extensive carb info, but I can really recommend having a good team to support you. I did with the first, at a Teaching Hospital, and had to use the knowledge I’d gained there for the second as the team at the next hospital were pants!
Keeping blood sugars low and frequently adjusting dosage as insulin needs rose during pregnancy was worth all the extra effort as my daughters are brilliant *irritating proud mummy face* and so are my grandsons!

Ah thank you @Fairygodmother
Yes technology has moved on and thankfully you got the ‘good team’ in your first pregnancy so you could carry the knowledge into your second. Horrible that you were putting your and your baby’s life into their hands and they let you down.
I’m delighted that your daughters were healthy and I’m sure you’re a wonderful grandmother to your grandsons. Wishing you all the best x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Ah thank you @Fairygodmother
Yes technology has moved on and thankfully you got the ‘good team’ in your first pregnancy so you could carry the knowledge into your second. Horrible that you were putting your and your baby’s life into their hands and they let you down.
I’m delighted that your daughters were healthy and I’m sure you’re a wonderful grandmother to your grandsons. Wishing you all the best x

Thank you! There’s lots more info available today than there was then; the net has made a big difference - as long as you choose the professional sites. Good luck and happiness if/or when you have your own.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@ nessals946 thanks so much for your response. I’m so happy for you that your son is healthy and by the sound of it successful. You must be so proud. ️ Do you mind me asking if you were in hospital much throughout the pregnancy and did you have difficulty controlling your blood pressure and how were you after pregnancy? Were there any changes to your eyes/kidneys?
I had problems with my eyesight and blood pressure before i got pregnant.I had to check with my Moorfields eye hospital consultant first,there was a risk it could make my sight worse but i thought it was worth the risk.My eyesight wasnt affected at all.
The biggest problem for me was trying to control my blood pressure,it was horrendously high most of the way through.If i remember correctly,i was taking 17 tablets a day in total.I was in hospital quite a lot,many overnight and weekend stays.In the end,i was admitted for the last 2 months of my pregnancy.
Im sure it sounds like a horror story but i think technology and medicine has advanced greatly since 1996,there is absolutely no reason to think you'd have a difficult pregnancy if you choose to go ahead.I already had diabetic complications before getting pregnant,nothing got worse after my son was born x

Pollybaby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So glad your eyesight wasn’t affected at all. I also have retinopathy and have had laser and surgery. I have neuropathy but normal blood pressure thankfully.
Your blood pressure..17 tablets omg . It sounds horrific alright..gosh!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Pollybaby
can't help with pregnancy :D
i know a couple of other T1 mums that could come along to say hello

tagging @claire1991 and @Mrsass to offer some support.

love your doggie avatar ( that could be my baby for sure !! )

all the best
x

Reactions: Pollybaby

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
yay polly !!!!!! gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So glad your eyesight wasn’t affected at all. I also have retinopathy and have had laser and surgery. I have neuropathy but normal blood pressure thankfully.
Your blood pressure..17 tablets omg . It sounds horrific alright..gosh!!
Ive had so much laser on both eyes,1 op on my left eye and 4 on my right.Ive been registered as blind since 1992.Is it your sight you are worried about?

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I lost all sight in right eye and have partial sight in the left.Have glaucoma and a cataract in the left eye also.
Diabetes is the gift that keeps on giving! X

Pollybaby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Gosh @nessals946. You’re a warrior. You obviously managed your baby very well with only partial sight too. I love your sense of humour “Diabetes is the gift that keeps on giving” xx

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 31 years and have two daughters, a 6 and a 7 year old. HbA1c was in the 7's when I got pregnant with both and went down to 5.1% during the preganancies. On my first I was low all the time and lost hypo awareness was induced at 38 weeks due to going unconscious in the bed. Zero hypo awareness on my second (first was almost 4 months old when I got pregnant with my second) meant I was in hospital a lot and got a cgm to alert me to when my sugars were dropping (had been on a pump for years prior to being pregnant). Waters went at 37 weeks on second and I ended up having a c section due to failure to progress. After the births my sugars would drop very rapidly but were manageable, the cgm on the second really helped. I had my eyes tested a lot on both pregnancies but thankfully had no problems. I also had to go on eltroxin due to underactive thyroid that presented during pregnancy and I'm still on eltroxin nw. Neither baby had any problems at birth. It took 5 years to get my hypo awareness back. Its definitely not easy being diabetic and pregnant and I won't be doing it again

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pregnancy was fairly straightforward but I was poorly throughout. Baby was fine though and although my bloods were slightly high to start with I got them in range fairly quickly.

At around 35weeks I caught the flu and lost control of my bloods which resulted in a massive growth spurt for baby and I got polyhydramnious (extra fluid in the womb) which led to my waters breaking at 37 weeks and an emergency c-section.
Both me and baby were fine afterwards and I now have a very energetic 19 month old!

Good luck with your decision x

Niecie

I'm into my 3rd pregnancy. 1st and 2nd 12 year gap, all 3 pretty much straight forward apart from this one I'm struggling with my sugars. 1st born at 38wks on special care for 16days due to breathing, 2nd born at 37weeks short stint on special care(hours) due to low sugar both happy and healthy. Waiting for a date for 3rd currently approaching 32 weeks. If planning pregnancy get your sugars as good a control as possible diabetes team are fantastic for advice etc x

Reactions: Pollybaby