T1 at concerts

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Next weekend I'm going to see Coldplay at the Ethiad Stadium in Manchester. I carry snacks with me everywhere as I can hypo very easily.
Is there anyone who can advise whether I will be allowed to take food/juice in with me? Or will I be made to buy the extortionately priced food there? Don't fancy walking to a stall and queueing for something when I'm hypo!
Thank you

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not take some packets of glucose tablet's? They are very small and I always carry a pack.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tell them you are diabetic and I'm sure they will let you take your snacks in. It's worked for me at stadium concerts and festivals where they can be pretty strict about what you are allowed in, but most of the security staff seem to not bat an eyelid at the diabetic & wave me through. Make sure you have cash as a back up just in case but I'm sure that just explaining "I'm diabetic, I need to have food with me" will sort it out, no problem

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have anything that would identify you as being diabetic, such as one of the medical alert bracelets? That could be useful as proof to wave about in case of any problems over food, and hopefully get you to the front of any queue too if it became necessary.

Robbity

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I go to alot of concerts etc and always take lucozade with me explaining I'm diabetic at the front gate showing my I'd card if necessary. If they tell me I can't bring in my lucozade I point blank refuse to toss it! They usually give in! Sometimes they will only ask me to take the cap off and go in with an open bottle in which case I keep a spare cap in my wallet! I also use the first aid tent for injecting for hygiene reasons.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been to hundreds of concerts and this has never been a problem. Typically i carry glucose tabs though, so technically, they aren't snacks.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go to alot of concerts etc and always take lucozade with me explaining I'm diabetic at the front gate showing my I'd card if necessary. If they tell me I can't bring in my lucozade I point blank refuse to toss it! They usually give in! Sometimes they will only ask me to take the cap off and go in with an open bottle in which case I keep a spare cap in my wallet! I also use the first aid tent for injecting for hygiene reasons.

That's the one.
I've been asked to dump the cap off bottles, (so when you throw it at the act it doesn't hurt as much) but keep a spare cap off an identical bottle in your pocket.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take glucose tablets (lots!). I also often put snacks like cereal bars in my pockets. I've never had them confiscated, but I often have my water taken away or the cap taken off.

If I'm searched, I ecplain I'm diabetic and that's always been fine. I carry an ID card and wear my MedicAlert bracelet, but no one has ever questioned me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
..... All great advice from above.

My four penneth. Lol, join a band. With a triple A pass you wil get no hassle from security. Plus free catering back stage! ;)

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have anything that would identify you as being diabetic, such as one of the medical alert bracelets? That could be useful as proof to wave about in case of any problems over food, and hopefully get you to the front of any queue too if it became necessary.

Robbity

Lol I always laugh at myself, because I think if people don't believe me when I'm trying to prove I'm diabetic, I will just get my injection pen out and show them the needle. Then they'll believe me

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol I always laugh at myself, because I think if people don't believe me when I'm trying to prove I'm diabetic, I will just get my injection pen out and show them the needle. Then they'll believe me

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lol. Done a little agency work "stewarding" or security work at rugby matches.. i was told first time I did it to ditch the bag I carry my stuff in.... I mentioned diabetes & the manager threw up his hands like I was holding a gun..? They may not understand it, but they can't deny the "D stuff". They are trained to at least acknowledge that.

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the replies!i don't have any ID card but like Tanny35 said, I'll just whip my pen out lol! And insist carrying food is absolutely necessary

hornplayer

When I graduated, the security was extremely tight. Princess Diana was presenting ( shows how old I am! Lol ). Guests were expected to stay in place for about 5 hrs, for security reasons. My mum was newly diagnosed and going hypo all the time. She got through on dextrose tablets.

Not sure if that helps. It was a long time ago.

I also have a friend I perform with regularly, who is T1. She has it down to a fine art. She checks her levels before we go onstage, troughs a snack size bag of crisps then she's good to go.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So it worked out really well. I had a bag of food with me and just needed to show my pen and they let me through without checking what exactly was inside :)