• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would love to see others people views on Theresa May being T1 Diabetic and a PM.
Do you think she is inspirational or not....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No. She's had diabetes for less than a ninth of the time that I have, in which time I've done a whole bundle of cool things in sport (I've won National championships), travel (globally doing stupid things), career, etc. It hasn't accompanied her on her life like it has many of us, and she had her career in place well before she was diagnosed. Why would that make her inspirational? She's just done what she needs to and got on with it. That's what loads of us have done with our lives.

My point? No use crying over spilt milk. Get on with life.

Reactions: 5 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No. She's had diabetes for less than a ninth of the time that I have, in which time I've done a whole bundle of cool things in sport (I've won National championships), travel (globally doing stupid things), career, etc. It hasn't accompanied her on her life like it has many of us, and she had her career in place well before she was diagnosed. Why would that make her inspirational? She's just done what she needs to and got on with it. That's what loads of us have done with our lives.

My point? No use crying over spilt milk. Get on with life.
I just wish she wasn't credited for becoming a T1 PM, I'm waiting for if she can do it so can you "sighs".

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just wish she wasn't credited for becoming a T1 PM, I'm waiting for if she can do it so can you "sighs".
But shouldn't that be your starting point anyway. You can do whatever you want? I'm on to my second career having had a first successful one and got bored (and I'm doing rather well at that one, thanks very much). I've won a national title in my early twenties and played cricket against West Indies national players in my thirties. I've travelled the world and done some amazing and some equally daft things (from visiting the Taj Mahal to cliff diving and swimming miles from boats to shore), and all while on MDI. T1D doesn't have to stop you from doing anything!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would not say she is inspirational to me, yet ? I saw her photo in the Sunday newspaper and she looked quite old and sorry to say, very tired looking.
I wouldn't want to do the PM job ever, it's 24/7, 365 days of the year. It's not going to be easy. My health comes first, but we will find out in time how Teresa May cope's with it all, I don't envy her.
I just want our new PM to listen to us as a country and work hard, with our best interests and not betray us and yes I know am being rather optimistic here.:rolleyes:
Edited to add a couple more words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't vote because I'm neither a yes or no regarding her T1 - everyone has something to deal with - and now she will probably get the best care in the country so meh- there are people in my real life and my virtual life such as this forum who inspire me far more - as to being a prime minister in general well I will hold back judgement on that too - it would be nice to be able to change that to a yes in the future but won't hold my breath

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you think she is inspirational or not....

Far too early to say, but anyone who holds down a high pressure job whilst managing their type 1 deserves some credit IMHO.

desidiabulum

I would have thought the basic point is that we have already had her opponents claiming that she could not be an effective PM because she is a T1 diabetic (as opposed to being an alcoholic or clinically mad, which seems to go with the territory). Once that argument has been made I feel we have to be on her side.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I just don't like some of her views and will sit back and wait ...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair though, there are plenty of people that are T1 who would say that coping with the pressure as a T1 would mean they couldn't do it.

Clearly this isn't the case though. She's been Home Secretary for six years (hardly an easy job) and dx T1 in the midst of that.

Like I said, there are plenty of us who do stressful jobs that just get on with it. T1 is so not an issue. Okay, PM is probably the most difficult, or maybe that's leader of the Tory party, but of course she can do it. Being a T1D doesn't stop it.

Opponents will pick on anything regardless, so she should just get on with the job. Like you or I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

All a bit chaotic I think at the moment .. It's very early to say ..
I would never let any illness or disease hold anyone back from doing anything within reason though ..
For what is worth on the media tonight I thought DC looked relaxed and happy like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders ..
And TM did not look so good , will watch on Wednesday , lots of change management to happen yet ..

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She's a Tory. Nuff said. Bleughh!!!

Let's not kid ourselves that she'll be queuing up for her annual with the rest of us.
(Don't wish her any ill will).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For what is worth on the media tonight I thought DC looked relaxed and happy like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders ..

Just be reading the Mail on-line and apparently DC was singing after he left the press conference and was heading for the doors of Downing Street.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be reading the Mail on-line and apparently DC was singing after he left the press conference and was heading for the doors of Downing Street.
You can't blame him...I think I would be too. Don't envy TM one bit...shes got one hell of a task in front of her.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was thinking of this thread and I hope that the word 'inspire; might be a better one, as I feel it could inspire others to take on and tackle certain jobs and situations that might hold them back, because, at times, the stigma of diabetes, especially in the work place. That is how I would like to look at it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think her political allegiance is irrelevant. I see this as a general question.

I've had diabetes a long time and I don't really feel I need motivation from another person, but I do think Theresa May being PM could help younger people who're struggling to feel good about themselves. That aspect is really important to me. Perhaps they won't feel so alone knowing that the British PM also has Type 1?

The JDRF are reporting she's the first major world leader with Type 1. I think that can only be a good thing, and hopefully will raise the profile of Type 1.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't done much reading on Mrs May and her diabetes, but do recall when she was diagnosed.

What I am inclined to admire in her is how she appears to have just got on with it. I imagine she will have decent healthcare in place, with access to whatever she needs.

I'm sure there are lots of interesting, successful, inspirational people out there with diabetes and/or other health conditions they manage very quietly. I never fail to be astonished by people, generally.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think she could be an inspiration to diabetics. She has already been doing a very stressful job and coped with that and had she thought she was not up to being Prime Minister she would never have gone for it. I am sure she has had plenty of advice from her HCP's. Although I am not a Tory I wish her good luck and that she shows other diabetics it should not stop them doing what they want to.
I was talking recently to a lady with T1 who was complaining she had always had to work when she thought diabetes should be registered as a disabled illness She thought having to work with diabetes was to difficult for most T1's

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can't blame him...I think I would be too. Don't envy TM one bit...shes got one hell of a task in front of her.

I'd have been skipping as well as singing on the way to the black door :)

The job is a poison chalice @Natalie1974