T1 Pregnant Diabetic Desperately Need Low Carb and Low Fat Snack Ideas!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I’m Type 1 Diabetic and I’m currently 9weeks pregnant.

At the moment I’m really struggling with low carb and low fat snacks I can eat.

Pre-pregnancy I rarely needed to snack between meals but due to the constant hunger and nausea that follows if I don’t eat at regular intervals,I have no choice but to incorporate snacks into my diet.

The thing is I’ve gone off so many foods I usually like and I also have to be wary of keeping the snacks low carb so my blood sugars don’t spike AND low fat so I keep my weight gain under control during pregnancy.

Currently I rely on water crackers, 1 mini petit filous yogurt pot,a handful of salty popcorn,1 babybel light,cherries and clementines.

I usually swap between these items depending on my mood.But can anyone suggest any other low carb and low fat snacks I could eat?

Thanks in advance.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @stereotypeone86 and congratulations :)

What about meat snacks ? you will need to bolus for protein but for snacks how about chicken, cold meats, nuts, olives, boiled eggs, how about mixing greek yoghurt and blueberries.

I would need insulin for crackers, popcorn, petit filous, oranges, I take it you're bolusing for these ?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Juicyj,

Thanks for your response. I’m not a big fan of meat but the rest of the items you mentioned sound good and most importantly,varied as I’m getting tired of the same things.

I’m quite sensitive to insulin so I don’t Bolus for the current snacks I take at the moment but most of them are around 6-7g carbs in total as I keep to very small portions.

I’ve been told that as my pregnancy progresses that my insulin resistance will increase ten fold.Out of interest,how do you typically work out how much to Bolus for snacks (ratio,spacing out meal insulin doses,quantity etc)?