caram

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what effect does marijuana have on your diabetes? I smoke fairly regularly but not daily and wouldn't call myself a stoner, usually i don't notice any effects on my blood sugars but i believe my blood sugars aren't as erratic after I've smoked. the other evening i was out for a walk with my friend after smoking and as i was on my way home i noticed my legs were feeling incredibly weak and with each step it felt as if they were going to give way. my knees couldn't hold me up. i wasn't sure if this was just me having more feeling from a body high but when i finally got home i checked my blood sugar and it was pretty hypo. the weed must've eradicated the shakes, sweatiness and other symptoms i get when i'm running low entirely. thoughts?

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think it'll be similar to any substances (alcohol included) that you'll want to be more careful as you won't be able to rely on how you normally feel to predict a hypo. Not sure about the science behind it but I know why people get hungry after a night out is due to 'low' blood sugars as a result of the alcohol being processed, maybe something similar happens? Regardless I would be super careful and also let your friends know you are diabetic so they are aware that strange behaviour may not solely be due to smoking.

Reactions: Jaylee

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may suppress the adrenal and or cortisol response which would in turn suppress hypo warning signs. I smoked pot daily for a long time and I never noticed it had any effect good or bad on hypos myself.

Reactions: caram

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @caram ,

What you imbibed "masked" your hypo symptoms. As mentioned above, certain responses may have been subdued?

Disregarding the "ins & outs" of the subject of marijuana & it's use..
The safest practice other than the "obvious" "just say no." is to test more regularly during the session....

Be safe. Someone lying in a prone state with the aroma of weed may not be identified immediately as a hypoglycemic diabetic. ;)

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
.... As my GP once said back in my misspent youth.
"Beware of the tobacco your mixing it with." ;)

Incidentally, I'm currently researching portable vaporizers.

The healthy choice!!! LOL!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Incidentally, I'm currently researching portable vaporizers.

The healthy choice!!! LOL!

Isn't that a "bong"? ;) Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've seen then made out of cleaned out 2litre engine oil containers among other things.... ;)
Then there is an even smaller portable technique, no bigger than half a Novo pen... (German engineered I believe. From memory. ) Which i still have in my possession but would need to dig out due to non use for many, many years.... Nice engineered bit of kit though. No bigger than half a Novo pen, It cooled & drew weed or blow by an "Archimedes screw".. Just load, & draw it back....

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Isn't that a "bong"? ;) Correct me if I'm wrong.

In short, No!

Of course, there's a lot to it and it can get scientific, but basically for the sake of the short and simpler answer: Through a bong (pipe, joint etc.) you inhale the smoke and through a vaporizer you inhale the vape/'steam'.

Basically vaping is supposed to be 'healthier' as it gets rid of a lot of the 'bad chemicals' that are in the smoke.
Though of course (as with marijuana in general) there haven't been too many 'scientific studies'.
Also the quality of vaporizer and the temperature 'burnt/vaporized' at etc. could come into play.

Edit; Just to add - I first came into contact with a vaporizer (a big volcano one - not portable) a few years ago when I met a guy at a party. He actually suffers from asthma so 'couldn't really smoke' - but he liked the herb and so he obviously did his own research and bought a decent home vaporizer. Again, 1 person isn't exactly a scientific study - but he said he didn't have the same asthma issues when taking 'mary j' through his vaporizer as he did when trying to smoke in the past.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sincere thanks for your informative feedback @SugarBuzz :cool:
Unfortunately I couldn't click agree & informative at the same time..

I look forward to reading more on your progression regarding vaporisers..
Sigh, however.
You & I maybe guilty of pulling this thread slightly "off topic."
Hey! It's easily done. Wishing you the best in your endevour. :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is medical marijuana legal in the UK? I'm sure recreational MJ isn't, but it's legal here in about 7 states. Medical MJ is legal in maybe 35/50 states.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Googled it and MMJ is not only illegal in the UK it's regarded as a class B substance, almost like heroin. But if you get caught with a small amount the cops can just slap your hand and put it on your record. Still I'm surprised MMJ is not legal. Australia made that legal last year. Said 67% of drug offenses are for marijuana in the UK. Maybe the gubment digs the fines and uses it for the NHS funds. I'll tell you one thing though: once they start issuing MMJ cards about all you have to do to get one is pay the annual $250 fee. " I HAVE CHRONIC PAIN".

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Googled it and MMJ is not only illegal in the UK it's regarded as a class B substance, almost like heroin. But if you get caught with a small amount the cops can just slap your hand and put it on your record. Still I'm surprised MMJ is not legal. Australia made that legal last year. Said 67% of drug offenses are for marijuana in the UK. Maybe the gubment digs the fines and uses it for the NHS funds. I'll tell you one thing though: once they start issuing MMJ cards about all you have to do to get one is pay the annual $250 fee. " I HAVE CHRONIC PAIN".

Funny enough.. I found this link for you! https://www.gov.uk/penalties-drug-possession-dealing

A few years back they made it illegal for non Dutch nationals to buy it in Holland..
Now this is only what I was told in conversation. (Bear in mind I have been working in Holland as a musician on & off for 16 years too!)

At the time I was there on holiday in North Holland with my wife while this law was happening & was told by a Dutch restaurant owner that Dutch nationals needed to register for a card to purchase MJ from outlets..
The problem was (he said.) in signing up for this ID card, it also put them on a sort of "drug dependant list" which could ruin prospects regarding job applications & sutch like..?

Holland did repeal this a couple of years later. I heard.

To be fair. I haven't touched it in over 10 years...

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It's illegal in Spain too. Though er, only technically.

The unwritten rule seems to be that nothing will happen if 'you're growing a couple of plants' yourself. I smell it all the time.
It's funny really, it's actually easier to buy herb here than it is to buy paracetamol.

Roasterfred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a t1 and I smoke somewhat regularly however recreation ally, I live in the UK where it is an illegal drug, however possession over here is a caution at most, and is a norm, in my early 20's social group, I've always found very little effect regarding my bg when smoking other than I get the munchies and eat too much. Something I have noticed personally is it masks the symptoms of a hyper ( thirstiness, lethargy and irritability ) yet in contrast to some of you it intensifies my hypo symptoms...