T1D, PCOS and Metformin

saraheffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had T1D for 4.5 years and have recently been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I’ve been put on Metformin to treat the PCOS, and was wondering if anyone else has experience of using Metformin as a T1 diabetic?

I have also been doing the 5:2 diet recently, and often eat meals with no carbs. Does anybody know whether I should still take Metformin with meals that don’t contain carbs?

Thanks!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi yes, I found out when trying to conceive. Mott given metformin though, they did try me with Clomid for fertility issues.
I think metformin can help improve insulin sensitivity though. Perhaps @ickihun would know more?

Reactions: azure and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’ve had T1D for 4.5 years and have recently been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I’ve been put on Metformin to treat the PCOS, and was wondering if anyone else has experience of using Metformin as a T1 diabetic?

I have also been doing the 5:2 diet recently, and often eat meals with no carbs. Does anybody know whether I should still take Metformin with meals that don’t contain carbs?

Thanks!
Hi @saraheffy
I'm type2 with no evidence of pcos anymore. I had a scan recently which showed no evidence of the condition on my ovaries. I am still using metformin as I believe it is the metformin's long term use which has eliminated the missing periods and infertility. I am currently around the 20st mark but have lost 2st since xmas and am on MDI due to huge insulin resistance.
Metformin has allowed me to stop ivf treatment and encouraged 2 healthy pregnancies. In fact I've had to be sterilized as my body is 46yr old and not fit enough to carry anymore diabetic pregnacies.
I eat carbohydrates with metformin. Always have. I briefly did the lchf diet but was off metformin at that time due to a previous period of 'burn out'.
I can take metformin with or without carbs now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer your 1st question, I am afraid - cos I am a T2. :)

But with regard to the second; have a quick look at the leaflet that came with the Metformin. It usually has a section saying that Metformin should be discontinued during fasting or illnesses where food isn't eaten.

So I would say that if you are eating (carbs or not), take your Metformin, but if you are skipping entire meals, then don't have your Metformin on an empty stomach. Hope that makes sense?

It may also be worth knowing that Met doesn't work like a lot of drugs. It doesn't have a rapid effect. So while you may take the Metformin with food because that makes it easier on the stomach when the drug is buffered by food, it won't actually have much effect on the blood glucose from that meal. Instead, Metformin is a slower acting drug, that becomes effective over a period of weeks, with a lowering of overall blood glucose, rather than ironing out blood glucose spikes. It also has beneficial effects on insulin resistance.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I lows carb and often have meals with 0 carb. I have 2 500g metformin a day with meals and no problems so far

Reactions: ickihun