T2 and been on humalog m3 for 3 months

Lilylala

Hi every one , as mentioned i have been on humalog m3 for the past 3 months and have felt the best ever since being diagnosed last April .What a rollercoaster ride it's been my h1c was 126 and was out on metformin 1000mg twice daily also 80 mg twice daily gliclazide .The side effects well let's say I practically lived in the toilet.Then I was on liraglutide injection was really ill on that didn't eat for 6 weeks lost 10 kg , but my h1 c was 54 .I am currently injecting 28 units morning and tea , my blood glucose is 7 mmol morning 5 mmol evening and feel fantastic.The only thing since going on insulin is weight gain .

Reactions: Antje77

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum. You really have been on a roller coaster. Glad you are feeling better now.

I'm also a relative newly and only on Metformin so have no real advice to give. Are you monitoring your carbs? Given you are on insulin I think you need to be careful about reducing them too much but it couldn't hurt to keep good records of what carbs you are eating and the effect on you blood sugar.

There are lots of people here with more experience and knowledge than me and I'm sure they will comment shortly- I just wanted to say welcome!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Be aware that it's not the insulin that is causing weight gain but the carbs you may be eating. Insulin is merely a hormone that enables the body to metabolise carbs and when you have too many they are stored as fat. How many carbs do you have each day?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi every one , as mentioned i have been on humalog m3 for the past 3 months and have felt the best ever since being diagnosed last April .What a rollercoaster ride it's been my h1c was 126 and was out on metformin 1000mg twice daily also 80 mg twice daily gliclazide .The side effects well let's say I practically lived in the toilet.Then I was on liraglutide injection was really ill on that didn't eat for 6 weeks lost 10 kg , but my h1 c was 54 .I am currently injecting 28 units morning and tea , my blood glucose is 7 mmol morning 5 mmol evening and feel fantastic.The only thing since going on insulin is weight gain .
Hi Lilylala,
I have to agree, the insulin isn't so much the problem, -though you're mostly insensitive to it, alas- the carbs are. Have you tried a low carb diet? You could get your weight down again that way, BUT, and that's an important but, with the medication you're on, the possibility of a hypo's more like a certainty. It may be something to look into, but best to make changes with the dietician/doc in the know, if you want to try it.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/, dietdoctor.com and this forum's website, www.diabetes.co.uk may help choose a path forward.
Good luck!
Jo