T2 and blood sugar

terricakes

Hi all, Looking for some help and support from folks that have had similar experiences. I am 59 and have had T2 diagnosis for over 2 years but probably undiagnosed for a long time before this. I am on metformin which is wrecking havoc with my digestion. I have had to have it increased recently but changed to slow release .(not much difference) I have tried 16/8 intermittent Fasting High Fat high protein low carb and it has been good for a short while but I keep going back to bad carb habits. Once I have bad carbs (white pasta, bread crips etc) its all I want Result: Huge cravings come back so i stop the IF and back to the vicious circle. I also work shifts of 8 10 and 12 hours (nights evenings and days) and these can be very stressful. Not to mention the need to eat meals at crazy times. It is really difficult to have set mealtimes on shift as you need to react to emergencies at any time. Not a great mix for managing T2. Any tips to help above, would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Terri

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar experience with metformin so they went in the bin after 3 weeks.

I"m afraid the yoyoing between low carb and not low carb won't be doing you any favours either.

Can you try and do a week of almost zero carbs to avoid getting the triggers?

Cook up a batch of meat to eat cold and hot and take cheese as a snack?

Once the carb cravings have been overcome you'll find it easier.

Just think of how you would like to keep your eyes and toes as a motivator?

Reactions: Lainie71

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just have one point to make which may or may not help with the Metformin side effects. With your shift patterns and fasting are you always managing to take the tablets with a meal? They are better tolerated if taken with food.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not take the Metformin - along with statins I was so very ill, but thankfully I did not need them in the first place.
These days I eat at approximately 12 hour intervals and find that seems to cope with most eventualities.

Reactions: Sally66

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Metformin I now take at night. As for work like you I do shifts and emergency work. I’ve taken to buying low carb bread from low carb company, freezing it so I can slap a sandwich together for work along with sparkling water, prepackaged small cheeses etc and trying to include more salad stir fries and green veg when I’m home to balance my diet out. As for carbs that’s a hard one. I do have a weakness for chocolate m and m’s which my other half is a b****r for buying and if I’m starving when I get in I’ll go for, starting my blood sugars swinging. I’m better if I’ve got low carb snacks to grab first along with a coffee with cream so that I stay away from his snack draw. Whatever happens I figure it’s an improvement on what came before as my health has improved. If I spike high sugars now it makes me feel very unwell and so tired that those feelings stop me from carrying on that path. Hope something will work for you

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was doing strict keto to lose weight, prior to any diabetic diagnosis, my go to snacks or indeed lunch box was roasted crispy skin, very salty chicken thighs, cold sausages or bacon, with Hard boiled eggs and full fat mayo'. and a pack of pork scratchings. Once i'd found a recipe for very low carb bread, i was then in a position to make either sausage and egg or bacon and egg sandwiches.
If your desperate when you get in cut cheese into sticks and wrap with cold meats, with any low carb dips they can be a life saver.

• Winner
Reactions: Outlier and sue512