T2 and frequest flu/fever/sinus infections

Mike Sixx

I really would like to hear if there are anyone in similar situation like me: they have frequent flu/sinus infections.
Or hear in general experiences getting sick while having T2.
I have had sinus and ear infections all my life. For me these infections take weeks or even months and are on and off. Most of the time I do not get fever in form of temperature raise I just get all the other nasty stuff.
I got T2 diagnosis 3 months ago so I am fairly new to living with T2 and really unsure of how to live with it or even if I can. Initially was was pretty ok with the diagnosis as my mother had T2 for 50 years without any problems.
Now only like 1-2 months in to living with T2 diagnosis I am starting to have problems with my feet.
My frequent (chronic) sinus infections seem to be causing violent symptoms and deterioration with my T2. My legs are getting really bloated, I get spots (look like liver spots) on my feet, tingling sensation and numb areas at soles of my feet. The tingling is also in my legs and little bit in my hands and arms. Little blurry vision. And tiredness. While most of the symptoms might be just flu/infection itself and dehydration. Bloated legs and numbness are clearly T2 secondary symptoms as confirmed by my diabetes nurse. Although she suspected the numbness to caused my legs being bloated, which she suspected to be an reaction to insulin.

None of what I read and what doctors say do not seem to be true. I should NOT be having issues with my legs this soon specially since I am taking fairly good care of myself and my disease.

* I am eating ok or maybe even good; healthy foods for T2 and healthy portion sizes.
* I slowly and steadily losing weight. In a healthy way.
* I have and I am taking my medications correctly.

So according to all information I should not be getting pherical neopathy - like (still hoping it is not that) symptoms in my legs yet. That should be like decade or so down the path or even never. I noticed symptoms are intensified during or even caused the acute sinus infections I am frequently having (that I have had for years).

I desperately would like to hear form anyone who has T2 and frequent fly/infection/fever and their experiences.

What I know: fever&infection causes body release hormones that raise blood sugar levels. I know and notices a fever can raise blood sugar up to 2 mmols. And I have to up my insulin dosage accordingly. I noticed right after insulin injection my legs feel better for few hours.

What I do not (nor doctors seem to) know is do I recover fully for these symptoms or is each of these fevers causing symptoms causing irreparable damage and permanently nerve damage to my legs ?

What are your experiences with T2 while getting sick, do you get any T2 related symptoms and do you recover from them ?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Mike Sixx,
I haven't had any of your symptoms, however others in these Forums have mentioned getting some of them when their BG was high.
If your Fasting BG o9r HbA1C have been tested for some time before you were officially diagnosed with T2, then it is extremely unlikely that you could be having any peripheral Neuropathy or Retinopathy so quickly - this normally takes years or even decades of out of control BG and Insulin before it shows up.
Also some people have reported that they have improved Neuropathy and Retinopathy after some years o a LCHF diet, having brought their HbA1C back down to the 'normal' levels. So don't worry about permanent damage - its only permanent after they amputate!

Certainly any illness, infection or even stress can (and usually does) raise BG

mouseee

I've been diagnosed about the same length of time as you although I haven't had the fluey type symptoms I have chronic sinus issues and take lots of medication to control it. It is annoying when your sinuses and ears are constantly bunged up!

What was your hba1c when diagnosed? Mine was 101 and the Dr (who was a sensible lady!) said this indicated that it had been brewing for a while. Most people have been diabetic for a couple of years before they actually have many symptoms, she told me. It would seem to me that you have been T2 for a lot longer than 3 months and if your bs is still high, you will still be getting a lot of the symptoms.

I had tingly hands and arms, cramps in legs, blurry vision, nausea, headaches, thirst, frequent urination, tiredness and more! All of these went as my bs lowered I am now symptom free. (I've more than halved the initial 101) As you still have lots of these, it suggests to me that you haven't dropped your bs low enough yet. I also assume you test before meals before your insulin dose so you'll have a good handle on where your bs is generally. What kind of numbers are you seeing?

My diet has been the biggest change, I now eat low carb meals and I am on metformin only. I wonder what your healthy diet consists of. Could you say more about it? Obviously, as you are on insulin, diet is a different kettle of fish but are lots of people here on insulin who could give more advice on it.

There are plenty of people here who have lots of useful advice!

Mike Sixx

So don't worry about permanent damage - its only permanent after they amputate!

Thank you!
I really mean that. I am laughing with tears in my eyes. I think this was the first time I really laughed since the symptoms appeared couple weeks ago. Even when those went away for 3-4 days before getting sick again.

Mike Sixx

Hi Mike Sixx,
If your Fasting BG o9r HbA1C have been tested for some time before you were officially diagnosed with T2, then it is extremely unlikely that you could be having any peripheral Neuropathy or Retinopathy so quickly - this normally takes years or even decades of out of control BG and Insulin before it shows up.

I might have spent up to 2 years with BG over 15. I am pretty sure for at least a year. I added my history to my signature. I think I started having symptoms of complications up to 6 months before my diagnosis. Thinking I just had too tight shoes. After diagnosis I still hoped that the nerve damage was physical from too tight new shoes and just made worse by the diabetes. I am slowly losing that hope. I realize now that there is only slim chance that my legs recover from this. And I fear every fever/infection I get is another nail in the coffin. There seem not to be anything I could do. I can not exercise as my feet are damaged or when I have fever. I tried to exercise couple weeks ago when feeling better and that damaged my foot. I then though I just had strained ankle but my new diabetes doctor explained to me in very technical details how the nerve damage works and what are the effects of it on the legs and that sounded too much like my "strained ankle" as the pain was more on arc of my feet than ankle.

Good thing I spend all day reading bios of all the 1000 doctor from that medical service company web site. The doctor that diagnosed me was not diabetes doctor and left out some important tests. The next doctor was one but would not give a ****. I mean he did not bother to listen to me, game be 0 information or advice and his leg "exam" was testing temperature of my legs with his hand and checking there was a pulse on my feet main vein. The new doctor did a filament sensitivity test and vibration test. And there are areas of my feet that have lost sensitivity. Lesson to learn here, take the effort to find doctor who is both competent and still gives a ***. My new doctor in young so he might lack experience but he is still interested in his profession and in his specialization. His diagnosis was pretty glum: "There might EVEN be a slim change your feet recover from these damages".

So now I am just waiting to recover from this fever so my body stabilizes and all these missing labs can be taken to see if kidneys are ****** and if my eyes are also damaged. His prognosis was pretty bleak, telling me to go get orthopedic supports made for my soles to try to help arcs of my soles from collapsing from muscle atrophy form the nerve damage. So the hope is dwindling, but not gone yet. Better to prepare for the worst. Although leg problems are not the worst but only indication of kidney damage in progress.

So I hoping to get well by Thursday to get test results before weekend. The weekends are the worst as there is no help or advice available then, just waiting for Monday to come so doctors get back to work. I am starting to fear weekends. I also kind of like my job it takes my mind of my medical problems and also pays for the treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Sixx

I've been diagnosed about the same length of time as you although I haven't had the fluey type symptoms I have chronic sinus issues and take lots of medication to control it. It is annoying when your sinuses and ears are constantly bunged up!

What was your hba1c when diagnosed?

Thank you. That is really good to hear from someone in so similar situation. I added my T2 history to my signature. in 2017 my BG was 5, so well in normal. So for 2-2½ year there is chance I have had diagnosed T2. Looking back now I do recognize I have had some symptoms at least 6 months.

What worries me is that my levels are way down and were before these complications started. Last month my HbA1C was 53 which is almost half down for the 93 it was when I was diagnosed two months before that. I am fairly sure my HbA1C on next measurement should be close or even below normal. My last month average or morning BG was about 5.5. Few weeks ago I measured before and after good size dinner 5.4 and 8.3 after 2½ hours of it. That was with 2000mg metform and 100mg Januvit + 18 units on insulin. Which I am now starting to cut back.

So I think I SHOULD be doing great. I been losing 4-6kg of weight every month. I have been cheating a little bit using the sinus infections and their appetite loss. I have tried to eat at least 3 times a day. Also I am vegetarian, so only going log GI , minimal sugar and no wheat was easy and should be fairly good diet. And when I say low calories diet I mean 2000 calories instead the 20000 calories I used to eat daily usually in single meal or should I say binge. I Do not smoke, never have. Only things going against me are the chronic sinus infection and Level 1 hypertension. And BMI is of yesterday 36.4 which I rushing to 34.9 to be "safe" from the "morbidly" category.
This month I lost 5.9 kg. 2 days still to go.

Mike Sixx

Oh ***, good thing I wrote this as it got me thinking by blood sugar so I measured it ...
4.1mmol !!!!!!
@
1:00 at night. Gotta eat something [munching an "low sugar" oat snack cookie] and cut back on insulin from 18 unit. But that is kind of great news I might mean the fever/infection is going away.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator: