T2 insulin

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
As some of you may know, I had to go onto insulin during a spell in hospital in Feb and BS in the teens.

I was advised to take insulin 15 minutes before eating, I wondering if others agree with this timing?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As some of you may know, I had to go onto insulin during a spell in hospital in Feb and BS in the teens.

I was advised to take insulin 15 minutes before eating, I wondering if others agree with this timing?

Hi, I think it might be different for all of us. On a recent course they said it hardly mattered whether you took it 15 minutes before, just before or during. I guess it's all about whether your glucose levels, the magic '2hrs later' are fine or not and if not then more experimentation may be required. It's definitely not a scientific thing that's for sure, trial & error. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to take novorapid 15 minutes before eating. Different insulin have different times.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a T1 and i tend to take my BG level about 30 mins before and go from there. If it's 10 or above then I'll inject 30 mins in advance. 6-10 then 15 mins is ok but under that I inject as food is being served up.

It also depends what I'm eating. Low insulin for a low carb meal can be closer to eating times than if I know I have to load up for something carby

Time of day also influences it. I can be really insulin resistant around lunchtime so earlier is better then.

No easy answer!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have a Freestyle Libre and wait for my BS to drop by 0.3 mmol/l

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I think it might be different for all of us. On a recent course they said it hardly mattered whether you took it 15 minutes before, just before or during. I guess it's all about whether your glucose levels, the magic '2hrs later' are fine or not and if not then more experimentation may be required. It's definitely not a scientific thing that's for sure, trial & error. x
Hi. I would disagree with that course statement. It does matter but in practice it is difficult to know exactly when to inject before meal. 15 minutes is the standard mantra which I follow but it varies with insulin types and fat in the food etc.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would disagree with that course statement. It does matter but in practice it is difficult to know exactly when to inject before meal. 15 minutes is the standard mantra which I follow but it varies with insulin types and fat in the food etc.

Hi Diabell, I think they were saying that exactly in the context you are, ie ,it's practically impossible to 'get it exact' or anywhere near what a 'normal' body would so before, after or during barely made any difference around 2 hours later. Funnily enough I had a phone consultation today with my Consultant who asked me when I took my novarapid, (usually around 15 mins prior to a meal) but not always, and I quoted what the course had said. He said 'oh' and that was that! Definitely trial and error. x