T2 on insulin

nyla

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm actually struggling atm I'm going to ring my DR tomorrow. I've slowly been in creasing my novorapid I'm up to 50 units 3 x a day and 3 metformin a day I've not learnt or been told to carb count ect I'm T2. For eg I woke up with a 6.5 had porridge no added sugar 50 unit's novorapid 1 metformin 1 hr after food it was 10.0 then 3 hours after I had a 4.5 .. I'm not feeling confident increasing it more as I feel that I'm taking a lot and it is worrying me. I also take 50 units of levimir at night. Does this seem a lot of insulin I know people vary but I'm worried it's not working or something I've been injecting about 2 year's only over the last 5 months with insulin these particular 2 since August.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nyla How long before your meals do you inject your insulin? Although 10 is a little above the target range, your 4.5 is good. You may find it more useful to test two hours after the start of your meal (or do both).

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In some respects the example you gave was actually pretty good indeed, you started at 6.5, 3-4hrs later you were 4.5, I can imagine your DSN telling you not to test at the 1hr mark. Normally you'd test at the 2hr mark and I reckon if you had tested then you'd have been around the 7-8mmol area - not too bad really.

I suspect you're insulin resistant..........

Azure beat me to it!

edited to add - what have you HBA1c results been like?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, those insulin doses are very high. Can you let us know your weight/BMI as I also suspect you may have insulin resistance which can block the effect of insulin. Porridge is high in carbs. Have you set yourself some sort of daily carb limit? Even when on insulin you need to control carb intake to avoid weight gain and insulin resistance.