T2 struggling

Faysherrard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The fact that I have type 2 at age 17 even though I wasn’t severely obese or insanely unhealthy has broken my heart. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m on the maximum medication and they’re asking me to inject 5 times a day and I can’t handle it anymore I’m absolutely terrified. I miss being a normal teenager being able to eat what I wanted and not worry about getting a 10+ blood sugar rating. No one understands and no one is willing to listen to me. I’m so scared because I got this horrific disease so young and my chances of complications later in life are so large. I used to be able to calm myself by thinking “oh well at least they can up my medicine” but i can no longer do that. I’m ashamed of myself for getting this disease and I’m struggling so much. I keep eating sweets, takeaways and rubbish and I know everyone reading this will think I’m an idiot for doing so but it’s so hard when you’re a teenager and you can’t relate to anyone else your age. I feel sad, sick and scared all of the time and I’m struggling to handle it now. I’m terrified of dying because of this and it just feels like my doctors aren’t understanding the difficulty I’m facing each day.

Post edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nooch1 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact that I have type 2 at age 17 even though I wasn’t severely obese or insanely unhealthy has broken my heart. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m on the maximum medication and they’re asking me to inject 5 times a day and I can’t handle it anymore I’m absolutely terrified. I miss being a normal teenager being able to eat what I wanted and not worry about getting a 10+ blood sugar rating. No one understands and no one is willing to listen to me. I’m so scared because I got this horrific disease so young and my chances of complications later in life are so large. I used to be able to calm myself by thinking “oh well at least they can up my medicine” but i can no longer do that. I’m ashamed of myself for getting this disease and I’m struggling so much. I keep eating sweets, takeaways and rubbish and I know everyone reading this will think I’m an idiot for doing so but it’s so hard when you’re a teenager and you can’t relate to anyone else your age. I feel sad, sick and scared all of the time and I’m struggling to handle it now. I’m terrified of dying because of this and it just feels like my doctors aren’t understanding the difficulty I’m facing each day.

Hey dear dont dispair anymore you have come to the right place here for help and support , and if you learn to cope with the blood glucose by eating the right foods and stuff you May feel much more happy and enjoy your life again , keep asking questions in This forum and especially learn to eat low carb foods send you a hug and my love , we are all in This together

Reactions: rom35 and ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Post edited by Mod

Hi Fay - It's quite unusual to be T2 so young, but it can happen.

If you're injecting 5 times a day, are you now on insulin?

I would urge you not to get despondent about being on insulin (assuming you are). The most important thing is you are on the most suitable treatment for your diabetes. There's no doubt that keeping your bloods down into a better range if better for you, but I appreciate that's not always easy to do.

Have you discussed your feelings with your medical team? It's important they understand how you are feeling, because they may have options available to help you accepting your diagnosis and move forward to a better place.

Faysherrard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey dear dont dispair anymore you have come to the right place here for help and support , and if you learn to cope with the blood glucose by eating the right foods and stuff you May feel much more happy and enjoy your life again , keep asking questions in This forum and especially learn to eat low carb foods send you a hug and my love , we are all in This together

Thank you so much, that’s so sweet!! I know I just need to stay motivated and keep away from all the things bad. Your support makes me feel so much better️ I feel alone in this sometimes

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
When the going gets tough Fay, the tough get going.
Living with T2 isn’t easy, but tens or hundreds of thousands folk do it and there is absolutely no reason at all that you can’t too. You’ve got a decision to make – either let your T2 manage you or you manage your diabetes. If you choose the latter route there’s no reason why you’ll not enjoy a full and happy life with none of the diabetic complications.

You are still a ’normal teenager’, and have your whole life ahead. But if you can ditch the junk foods and sugars it will be a longer and healthier life and you’ll look better than your peers regardless of your T2D.

Not easy at all but the decision is yours, and yours alone.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Faysherrard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Fay - It's quite unusual to be T2 so young, but it can happen.

If you're injecting 5 times a day, are you now on insulin?

I would urge you not to get despondent about being on insulin (assuming you are). The most important thing is you are on the most suitable treatment for your diabetes. There's no doubt that keeping your bloods down into a better range if better for you, but I appreciate that's not always easy to do.

Have you discussed your feelings with your medical team? It's important they understand how you are feeling, because they may have options available to help you accepting your diagnosis and move forward to a better place.

I rang my nurse about my worries a week or so ago but no proper help was given I think they struggle as I’m a rare case. At the moment I do 10 units a day of glargine but they could possibly move me onto 4 injections of an overrapid on top of that and it’s a scary thought to be on 2000mg of metformin and 5 injections a day I’ll never feel normal again

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rang my nurse about my worries a week or so ago but no proper help was given I think they struggle as I’m a rare case. At the moment I do 10 units a day of glargine but they could possibly move me onto 4 injections of an overrapid on top of that and it’s a scary thought to be on 2000mg of metformin and 5 injections a day I’ll never feel normal again

Are you being looked after by your GP surgery or at a hospital?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ok... so although you have been diagnosed as a T2D, I do have a couple questions to ask... but most of all to tell you.... you are not alone..many insulin dependent diabetics are diagnosed as very young children and teenagers... forget whether you arenT1 or T2 you are an insulin dependent diabetic. That wont change but you arent alone with being a teenager needing insulin and other meds as well.

Have you been seen bya consultant at hospital? It doesnt matter that you are a T2-you are insulin dependent and you are struggling so you do need care from a hospital. Not a GP.

Sweets...sweet stuff etc, are you having loads? Could you be perfectly honest and tell us what you eat on a good day and a bad day?

Exactly how did you get diagnosed as a T2? Do you knowwhat tests were done and the results?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Injections to be honest... and believe me I hated thought of them..... if they allow you to eat and drink and live.. then so be it... you will cope. Honest

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one understands and no one is willing to listen to me.
Hi Faysherrard,
I can't imagine what its like going through this at your age but @Megan1704 can probably relate, sounds like she is going through a tough time too and could use a friend about her own age.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello.140181/

KARMA "Noting good or bad lasts for any length of time. It only feels like it."

You are never alone.
Even when it feels like it, but feelings don't last.;)
:bag:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes

Post edited by Mod

Well done for posting your issues and posting, that took corage above and beyond teenage years. I'm way into my third childhood and loving very moment also my mental age is falling each year. You have taken the first and important step by asking. I'm not a good mentor because I'm as nutty as a fruit cake ( high in fats and sugars ), but I can relate. Perhaps if you posted your blood sugars most morning on the forum, then think back to what you ate and drank the day before you will get some understand of what affects you and only you. Then and only then can you think about getting below this mythical 10 number. Above all else you are a normal teenager get out there live life to the full, but keep in the back of your mind something's you can't eat. Please please talk to a diabetic DOCTOR and not a nurse.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You are a normal teenager, all your colleagues are struggling with something but they put on a facade of being able to cope. Yours is a little different, it is medical, and you need to discuss your feelings with your medical team until they listen. As has already been said now is the time to decide whether you are going to manage the diabetes or let it manage you. There is no need to be ashamed, why should you be? There are plenty of people walking around who have diabetes, a family and work full time. It can be done, if you get out there, make some healthy choices ( desserts and sweets are not good news), take a couple of close friends into your confidence so they can look out for you then the world is your oyster. What do you want to achieve? Are you sporty? Academic? Arts? Science? Whatever you will find someone who has gone before you, achieved and lead a long life. Go for it gal!

Reactions: Alison Campbell