Taking BG after meals

VMK

Hi - the guidelines seem to say check BG levels 2 hours after eating? But mine are still high (11) at that stage. They do come down after about 3.5 hours though. Is this usual? Too long?

I’m fairly recently diagnosed (March) so not in a particular routine yet. And so far no meds, only diet.

Have appointment with diabetic nurse next week, but I have found out a lot by using this forum. It’s great!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi VMK, it is generally agreed that the level after a meal should not be more than 2mmol/l higher at the two hour mark than the pre meal reading, and also not exceed 8.5. See the recommended levels here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
The nearer my post meal reading is to my pre meal one the happier I am.
Your reading of 11 at two hours is too high, can I ask if you took a pre meal reading and if so what was it? Also what did you have to eat.

Reactions: VMK

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone is different, but we use 2 hours as our standard. Non diabetics can have high post meal readings but their numbers drop far more quickly than ours.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you need to know the reading before you started. If it was 10, then being 11 at 2 hours means that meal suited you, but if you were 6 before the meal, then the meal was not good at all.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi VMK,
Some foods cause BG spikes or peaks earlier than others, so some people suggest taking a measurement just before the meal, then 1hr after , then 2hrs after etc.

Whether 11 is high for you depends upon what you ate and how much of it. Many Carbs like bread actually have a higher GI then even table sugar.

I have been on a Low Carb High Fat diet since before my 2nd high Hba1c result and before I bought a meter, so I have never had a spike after a meal of more than 2.0 (so far).

From what I understand it though, at a reading of 11, you are beyond the UK NICE guidelines which I read for Type 2 are : -
Before a meal between 4.0 and 7.0, and 2hrs after a meal less than 8.5.

VMK

Hi VMK, it is generally agreed that the level after a meal should not be more than 2mmol/l higher at the two hour mark than the pre meal reading, and also not exceed 8.5. See the recommended levels here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
The nearer my post meal reading is to my pre meal one the happier I am.
Your reading of 11 at two hours is too high, can I ask if you took a pre meal reading and if so what was it? Also what did you have to eat.

Pre meal was 7.2 and meal was chicken breast with tinned tomatoes and a jacket spud. The potato was my first carbs of the day though.....

VMK

Hi VMK,
Some foods cause BG spikes or peaks earlier than others, so some people suggest taking a measurement just before the meal, then 1hr after , then 2hrs after etc.

Whether 11 is high for you depends upon what you ate and how much of it. Many Carbs like bread actually have a higher GI then even table sugar.

I have been on a Low Carb High Fat diet since before my 2nd high Hba1c result and before I bought a meter, so I have never had a spike after a meal of more than 2.0 (so far).

From what I understand it though, at a reading of 11, you are beyond the UK NICE guidelines which I read for Type 2 are : -
Before a meal between 4.0 and 7.0, and 2hrs after a meal less than 8.5.

Thanks. Need to get a grip don’t I ?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Pre meal was 7.2 and meal was chicken breast with tinned tomatoes and a jacket spud. The potato was my first carbs of the day though.....

Jacket Spud? I hope it was smothered in butter/cream. Otherwise I would consider it to be like injecting sugar into your bloodstream.

I have cut out all the major carbs even carrot, and other 5 a day type root vegetables and all high carb fruits e.g. Banana, Pineapple, Mango, Orange.

Of course it all depends upon how serious you are and how your body reacts to the carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The tinned tomatoes and the potato are what caused that large spike and kept you high for a long time. Have a look at the tin of toms and read the nutrition label. You may be surprised how many carbs there are, plus the spud. It is something you can learn from.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup. What Bluetit said. Treat every mistake as part of your education. Any rise before and after eating of more than 2 means your meal was too carby or the portion was too large.

VMK

The tinned tomatoes and the potato are what caused that large spike and kept you high for a long time. Have a look at the tin of toms and read the nutrition label. You may be surprised how many carbs there are, plus the spud. It is something you can learn from.

Thanks yes. I’m amazed at the carb content of alot of foodstuffs tbh. Never really thought about it before. I’ve sent off for The Low Carb Diabetes Cookbook by David Cavan and Emma Porter. I’m due to retire in a few weeks so will have more time to cook from scratch.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks yes. I’m amazed at the carb content of alot of foodstuffs tbh. Never really thought about it before. I’ve sent off for The Low Carb Diabetes Cookbook by David Cavan and Emma Porter. I’m due to retire in a few weeks so will have more time to cook from scratch.

Have a look at the dietdoctor website. This has lovely low carb recipes, and a vast amount of information throughout the website.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m due to retire in a few weeks so will have more time to cook from scratch.
emoji846.png
For next time, if you have time to cook the potato (20minutes or so) you have time to use fresh tomatoes as well, they're done quicker than potatoes :)

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. What Bluetit said. Treat every mistake as part of your education. Any rise before and after eating of more than 2 means your meal was too carby or the portion was too large.
@xfieldok brilliant stats. Would you be able to share how were you able to reduce your a1c this quickly ?