1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Taking bg readings at 2.5 hour mark

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Jul 21, 2019.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

I remember reading Jennie Brand Millers saying the bg of a diabetes peaks later than a normal person. Does that make sense to measure at 2.5 hours mark instead?

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It depends on what you eat. Sweets, white bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes tend to trigger post-meal spikes. I suggest you experiment with a glucometer. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The peak can be any time from about an hour after first bite to any time after the 2 hour mark. It depends on the contents of the meal, the amount of fat, the type of carbs, and your own personal metabolism. When I was testing out meals I often tested at an hour, 90 minutes, 2 hours and if I wasn't coming down then I tested half hourly until I did. In my case, my peaks are somewhere between an hour and 90 minutes. It depends on whether you want to catch the actual peaks or see how long it takes to start dropping or reach your base level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook