Taking control after 16 years. Need some advice please.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've finally decided to take my diabetes seriously. I used to inject a certain amount of humalog fast acting insulin when I would eat or randomly when I felt high without testing.

For the past week I've been in contact with my dietician, got my blood pressure under control(was at 180/120, now I'm at 141/102) and also finished treatment for my eyes with laser eye treatment.

Also quit smoking(4th day and I feel great) and also cutting out unhealthy foods and sticking to wholegrains and more greens.

My dietician recommended me that I need to take 3 units of humalong per 10g of carbs. I started to do that and so far my blood sugar leves are between 6-9. I tried doing research online and a lot of threads and people recommend a 1 unit per 10g of carb ratio.

I weigh 12 stone and found that sticking to 3 units per 10g of carbs is fine up until night time meals. I eat 3 times a day, don't really consume sugar unless I'm on a low. The other night I was hungry and wanted a pizza. It contained 94g of carbs so I took 27 units of humalog(3 units per 10g). The maths checked out but found out later I was fighting against a low for about 20 minutes. I was eating fast acting sugar foods like haribos(3 small packets) to bring my sugars up again.

My question is and I know 27 units seemed a hell of a lot of units for just a 10inch pizza. Should I try dropping my unti ratio down to 2 units per 10g of carbs at night time?

During the day the 3 units per 10g of carbs seems to do the job and last night a did try 2 units per 10g of carbs and it did work out(was around 8.2 readings all night) I'm just a bit confushed because my dietician didn't mention to lower my ratio and just said stick to 3 per 10g of carbs.

I've had type 1 for 16 years and I'm just learning now how to count carbs and inject the right amount. I take my himalog 15 minutes before meal times and 20 units of long acting insulin(lantus) at night time.

Tried to get hold of my dietician but no answer.

Is 3 units per 10g of carbs seem high to anyone else? Or if my bloods are in check to keep going and just drop to 2 units per 10g of carbs at meal times?

I had a banana before which had an average of 20 carbs so I took 6 units of humalog for it(3 units per 10g of carbs) and resulted in a low again(reading were 6.8 before I had my injection and banana).

I honestly find it amazing how interesting carb counting is but I need more advice on controlling it better. It keeps me motivated and helps with my depression because I want a controlled life style.

Sorry for the rambling. Any feedback would be appericated.

Thank you.

Reactions: Brokenbill

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried doing research online and a lot of threads and people recommend a 1 unit per 10g of carb ratio.
That's what they often start people on to see how it goes, but everyone is different, some will stay on 1 unit peer 10, some will not, I know none of my meals are at 1 unit to 10 carbs.
Also yes you may need differing amounts at differing times, I was using a differing ratio at breakfast to lunch to dinner.

Also note its not worth asking is this a lot, you need what you need, it doesn't matter what anyone else is on - the carb counting course I went on a few years ago had a range of one person only needing 1 unit per 50g carbs down to one needing 1 unit per 2g carbs. So whatever you need is whatever you need :)

Pizza can be tricky, very tricky since its very carby and very fatty meaning it can take a long time for it to be absorbed, many people have problems with pizza, some split bolus, ie take some insulin when they have it and the remaining amount some hours later, and some just avoid it. But yeah I wouldn't use pizza to try and work out if you are on the correct ratio :)

Welcome to the forums btw :)

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I plan on cutting pizza out anyway. I'll stick to 3 units per 10g for now and do 2 units per 10g at dinner. And see if my blood sugars are stable after a week of testing.

I find wholegrains work good for me with the 3u ratio.

New to carb counting but find it really interesting and I feel more energy and better since taking control.

Woke up this morning on a 4.4 reading, my eyes go funny when I start going into a low. Everything goes bright and everything that isn't admitting light is dark.

Gonna drop from 20 units of long acting insulin to 19 or 18 and see from there.

Thanks for the warm welcome and reply =).

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I plan on cutting pizza out anyway. I'll stick to 3 units per 10g for now and do 2 units per 10g at dinner. And see if my blood sugars are stable after a week of testing.

I find wholegrains work good for me with the 3u ratio.

New to carb counting but find it really interesting and I feel more energy and better since taking control.

Woke up this morning on a 4.4 reading, my eyes go funny when I start going into a low. Everything goes bright and everything that isn't admitting light is dark.

Gonna drop from 20 units of long acting insulin to 19 or 18 and see from there.

Thanks for the warm welcome and reply =).
Hi and welcome @Dazphoenix28. First off, congrats on starting on the carb counting. I agree with what @Rokaab said, we're all different and some of us are different at different times! I tend to need a 1u:5g early in the day, closer to 1:3 later. But a lot depends on physical activity, the weather, day of the week, colour of your socks - ie it's not an exact science, so if what works one day doesn't work the next, sometimes there's no explanation. I say that as it's easy to get disheartened if things don't work precisely despite your best management, but hang on in there!

Strictly speaking 4.4 isn't a hypo, it's defined as below 4. If you've been running high for a while though you may get hypo symptoms higher than 4 until your body adjusts to generally lower levels. Also meters have a tolerance level so you can't say a reading's 100% accurate.

Glad you're feeling better, and this really is the best place for good advice. I've learned more here after 35 years T1 than all the advice from HCPs up till now.