Tea With Milk

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
As like many I love my morning cup(s) of tea. I've started to use my fitness pal to try and help keep track on my diet and control sugars. I am new to it and trying to hang of it.
Well I had three cups of tea this morning and when I put it in the app it said ideas 30grams of carbs ??? Is this right ? I guess it's the milk . I only have a splash as I like my tea strong. Obviously if this is too much I'll reconsider what I'm drinking

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk spikes me too. I tried whipping cream as that has less carbs than other milk or cream, I watered it down but was nauseated by the globules of fat floating on top. Now I just have tea and semi skimmed milk maybe twice a day. Stuff it, I can’t give up everything!

Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 308541

I only have a splash as I like my tea strong. Obviously if this is too much I'll reconsider what I'm drinking
Just drink it black with minimal or no sugar in it, you get the full flavour of the tea then.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have roughly 30g of carbs per day, to get that from milk I would have to do a Cleopatra and bathe in the stuff.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Carbs and cals say 2g per cup with milk.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Btw...I use xylitol for sugar in my tea. Xylitol solution with lemon juice to make squash. Ditto with unsweetened chili sauce to make a sweet chili sauce. Xylitol can give you the demon sh*ts so don’t indulge if you are going anywhere without loo access!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't drink tea but my wife has about 10 cups a day so I am used to making it. Semi skimmed has 4.8g per 100ml and my wife has a 10ml splash of milk, so 0.48g per cup.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
As like many I love my morning cup(s) of tea. I've started to use my fitness pal to try and help keep track on my diet and control sugars. I am new to it and trying to hang of it.
Well I had three cups of tea this morning and when I put it in the app it said ideas 30grams of carbs ??? Is this right ? I guess it's the milk . I only have a splash as I like my tea strong. Obviously if this is too much I'll reconsider what I'm drinking

That sounds like a lot. You could try measuring out, in a measuring jug 100 or 200ml of your chosen milk, then see how many cups of tea that does, on average, then you can make a more accurate assessment. Your milk carton should have the nutritional info on the label.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started making up half a pint of pretend milk with 30ml cream and the rest water. This helps me stay below 20g carbs daily as it's only 1g carb for half a pint. It's OK in tea, not quite as good as milk, but OK.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your milk carton should have the nutritional info on the label.
Carton? How frightfully modern, our bottles of milk don't have any nutritional information or indeed a label. I believe all normal cow's milk is about the same, 4.7g for whole milk, 4.8g for semi-skimmed, 5.0g for skimmed, per 100g.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could it have been a language confusion? I'm not a native English speaker and I get thoroughly confused by how the third meal of the day (in a traditional 3 meals a day thing) is called. If your app thinks you mean *dinner /supper /whatever you call the meal after breakfast and lunch* by searching for tea the carbs sound reasonable.
Why not turn your pack of milk to see how much carbs it has?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have skimmed milk in my tea. It comes in a carton and works out at 2g carbs per cup of tea, and skimmed has more carbs than full fat. I also like mine strong and just have a small amount of milk.

Be careful if anyone uses Xylitol and has a dog. It is very toxic for dogs.

Reactions: Nooch1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Thats rubbish
I have 2 tablespoons of lactofree milk in my morning tea. 30 ml which equates to 0.8g of carbs and yes I do measure the milk with a measuring spoon.. yes every single time... and yes I have trained hubby to do the same.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could it have been a language confusion? I'm not a native English speaker and I get thoroughly confused by how the third meal of the day (in a traditional 3 meals a day thing) is called. If your app thinks you mean *dinner /supper /whatever you call the meal after breakfast and lunch* by searching for tea the carbs sound reasonable.
Why not turn your pack of milk to see how much carbs it has?

The differences for tea can sometimes depend on where you grow up. Generally speaking, people in the north call their evening meal 'tea' and their lunchtime meal 'dinner'. In the south people call their evening meal dinner or sometimes supper and when using the word tea they mean the hot drink and they call their lunchtime meal lunch. To confuse you further, some posh people have 'afternoon tea' which is a hot drink and a bite to eat.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The differences for tea can sometimes depend on where you grow up. Generally speaking, people in the north call their evening meal 'tea' and their lunchtime meal 'dinner'. In the south people call their evening meal dinner or sometimes supper and when using the word tea they mean the hot drink and they call their lunchtime meal lunch. To confuse you further, some posh people have 'afternoon tea' which is a hot drink and a bite to eat.
Exactly non exact. So if the app thinks tea means food because the app is either northern or posh, the confusion is easily explained. And the confusion is easily avoided as well by reading the back of foods :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh my, I wasn't aware of this. It's even more complicated than I thought!

I now need an app that after inputting my bg says 'It be reet, lass' or 'eeh lass, thas high tha knows' :D