Tea

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m quite a fan of a Cuppa ! Several cuppas to be honest. In addition to
The usual suspects off glucophage & gliclazide I take insulin - humalin m3. With my year new start and all that. I’m re following a low carb diet -I’m aiming for between 50 and 100 g each day -I find it easier to give up pasta rice potato bread chocolate etc but my biggest vice is tea. I currently prefer BoB milk in my roughly 5 cups per day - I don’t like full fat milk and l don’t like coffee. I’m currently counting the milk I have in tea at around 20 g carbs .can anyone offer me their advice on tea, non milk and the carb values. I do drink water too at least 1 water to 1 tea.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try semi skimmed Lactofree at 3g carbs per 100mls instead of 4.9g for your BOB milk. Not a huge difference but it adds up if you drink a lot of cuppas.

D

Deleted Account

Have you tried replacing your tea with herbal tea?
There are lots of different types around so if you don't like something, it's easy to try something else.
I find Roibois the closest equivalent to tea tea and drink it without milk.
On the other hand, I drink tea tea without milk but that's as a result of living overseas where the milk option seemed to be condensed.

Reactions: Goacher55

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink at least the same if not more tea that you. I am a diet only T2, but when I was counting carbs I counted 2g carbs per mug of tea. (Skimmed milk as I dislike creamy tea, and I don't drown my tea in milk)

Reactions: Goacher55

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not have milk in tea or coffee & sometimes I even drink green tea. A little milk shoul not do to much dam,age I wouldn't think but I am not an expert

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much I’ve tried various options over the years from drinking tea with no milk to,rooibush to Jasmin to flowering. I think hot pop alongside hot water with ACV or lemon juice are fine but I’m happy with my BOB milk thank you for the ideas , much appreciated

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goacher55

I’m a tea drinker - but usually only 1 or 2 cups day - and switched to using double cream instead of milk. Was a bit weird at first, but now I love it. Works out at 0.5g carbs a mug.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m currently counting the milk I have in tea at around 20 g carbs .

https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/brands/arlabobmilk/milk-26547/

100g of BOB milk has 4.9g of carbs. So if you're having 20g worth of carbs from the milk in your tea you must be having 400g of milk, which is the best part of a pint. I'm hoping you mean you're counting the milk in your tea through the day at 20g, rather than per cup! Even then, are you really going through a pint a day just from milk in your tea?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Like you I drink a air amount of tea - approx 7 mugs a day. When I started to reduce my carbs I measured the amount of milk I was putting in each mug. It averaged 45ml per mug and @ 4.7g per 100ml that works out to 2.2 per mug so a total of 14.8 per day. I recently tried swtching back to coffee (Real stuff NOT starbucks etc) which I take black but I need to sweeten it with one sweetener (1g carbs) but I need to limit my intake to 2 cups or less of coffee as I suffer from high blood pressure and coffee has an adverse effect. The milk in my tea tend does add to my carb load over the day but I REALLY like a cup of tea.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried various 'other' teas and settled on mint and licorice as an alternative to ordinary tea with milk.
I tend to make a pot of it, fish out the bags and then keep it warm over a tea light for cold afternoons at home.

Biggles2

I tried various 'other' teas and settled on mint and licorice as an alternative to ordinary tea with milk.
I tend to make a pot of it, fish out the bags and then keep it warm over a tea light for cold afternoons at home.
I have substituted Fennel-Anise-Carraway tea as an alternative to tea with milk. I brew a nice pot, keep it warm under the tea cosy and enjoy it over the course of the afternoon. It is definitely not the same as tea with milk, but it has a nice licorice taste and manages to satisfy my sweet tooth as well!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The only tea I drink now is Mallow tea at bed time with no milk and a little sweetener.