technical medical details

mbudzi

Does anyone have any links to good medical explanations of what the sugar is actually doing to harm me please?

This type 1 numpty hasn't so much fallen off the wagon as been in denial of any wagon - eating all the wrong things and a bit worried this is getting out of hand. So after a bit of poking around in my head, I found I'm just not worried/looking at it any more - possibly in denial - possibly getting a bit odd about food/eating.

When I was diagnosed a few years ago, a medical text book helped me set myself up/understand and get on with things. To get back in the zone, I'd really like some good detailed reading about how the sugar wrecks things so I can visualise it - a bit like the picture on the fridge when dieting - only more medical detail. I'd like to understand just how sugar wrecks eyes, kidneys etc so that I can look at the biscuits and KNOW that huge sugar molecules are ripping holes in my retina or causing imbalance in something essential that keeps eyeballs round - or whatever it is.

I've had a dig about on the net but I seem to excel at finding conspiracy theories, bogus nonsense and texts that need several PHDs - I'm under qualified for this diabetic lark!

I need to make it real again - anyone got a big medical stick I can beat myself with?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mbudzi I think the book you need to read is Dr Bernstein - Diabetic Solution, written by a type 1, it certainly woke me up to what I had to think about when I was diagnosed, personally I think all type 1 diabetics need to read it, it's informative and direct, but from what you've said here it is definately a book you need to read.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had a dig about on the net but I seem to excel at finding conspiracy theories, bogus nonsense and texts that need several PHDs - I'm under qualified for this diabetic lark!

Maybe have a read of the following, it's an excellent website that gives information and advice on the condition Diabetic Retinopathy which can result from uncontrolled diabetes:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html

mbudzi

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the referrals. Today was better - as you say, small steps in the right direction is a start.