Teenage T1D and Fatigue

AMacKell

Hello All, I have a 14 year old daughter who has been T1D for a year and a half. She seems to suffer from fatigue all the time. She has had her bloods checked just to ensure there is nothing else going on. I wondered if anyone else has a teenager who seems to be so tired all the time. I know part of it will be hormones and the fact that she is still growing, possible pressures at school but it just seems to be so debilitating for her. Can anyone advise?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @AMacKell

As long as all other options have been ruled out with blood tests, including thyroid and iron levels, then it may simply be a case of hormones and age. If i'm feeling a bit run down I have a Berocca drink in the morning which contains B6 which can aid tiredness and that helps to pick me up a bit.

AMacKell

Hello and welcome @AMacKell

As long as all other options have been ruled out with blood tests, including thyroid and iron levels, then it may simply be a case of hormones and age. If i'm feeling a bit run down I have a Berocca drink in the morning which contains B6 which can aid tiredness and that helps to pick me up a bit.
Thank you for that. All blood tests are clear which is good but its just very difficult to watch her being so tired. Have put her on a multi vitamin and she eats well and healthily but just seems to have no zip about her recently.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a thought, but could she be bullied at school? The tiredness could be caused by depression. 14 year olds can be very very cruel...

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also suffer from fatigue and there are known links between T1d and fatigue which are not explained by BG levels (there are sciency papers out there if you Google)

For me I'm at my best if I eat healthily and don't overdo the carbs. I exercise daily and have learnt that if I do too much then it knocks me senseless for about 3 days. Very frustrating as I was really active prior to diagnosis. I was a lot worse on lantus and definitely better on Tresiba

Routine also seems to help (another thing I find frustrating!).

Hopefully you can find what works for your daughter.