Telling off for self testing

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mine annually (or longer if I am not pro-active and make the booking for both my blood test and DN visit myself) otherwise, its down to me. No podiatrist available. No online test results or anything - I am in Wales.

My DN has the view that its a very slow progressing condition, so not much will change from year to year. She doesnt approve of self testing either as I will "wear my fingertips out and they will be no good when (not if) I need them when I go onto insulin in the future" I dont know whether to laugh or cry at the attitude.

PS My FIL found out, several years ago, that his cancer was terminal when someone casually mentioned that his treatment was 'palliative' and no more could be done to halt it - at a random nurse appointment where she thought he knew and his oncologist had discussed his options with him. She was mortified and very apologetic.

Moondance

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am type 2 controlled by diet & exercise & have just had my first annual review. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement, I actually got a good telling off for self testing. I was told that if they deemed it necessary then a meter would have been prescribed so why was I doing it. I replied that I was eating to my meter in the hope of controlling my diabetes & not putting myself at risk of complications. The DN said that it was a waste of time as I would have to test all day long as it changes. My food diary didn't get looked at & I left feeling really emotional like a naughty child.
Am I wrong for testing my blood ?

Am a bit nervous after reading the above replies and their tone about sticking my head above the parapet, but I am a nurse practitioner working in a GP surgery. I am self-funding a diploma in diabetes to learn more about the latest indepth research, I do not do diabetic reviews, but want to learn more in order to support patients better. I would suggest calling the surgery and asking for a GP to ring you back to discuss your blood results. All surgeries I have worked at offer this - the GP can give you your HbA1c result over the phone. While you have their attention, you could ask if it would be possible to have a prescribed BM machine and repeat script for testing strips as you want to maximise your chances of sticking to a normal glycaemia and reducing your risk of complications. I think some of you are right, BM testing strips are so expensive that the NICE guidelines (sadly often guided by the cheapest, not always the best option) do not recommend them for oral controlled type 2 diabetics. Having said that, we are not sheep, we are clinicians who should always listen to patients, and do what we would hope would be done for our families, or that is how I work. I am so sorry that you have had this experience, but please do not give up, you sound like a very well motivated, very sensible person, most GPs can only dream of a patient like you
best wishes
Ali

tunneldave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had the same conversation with my DN. Strips will not be prescribed as not on insulin. HbA1c down from 60+ to 48 mainly due to watching carb intake but only offered 6 monthly checks

Lbt66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 controlled by diet & exercise & have just had my first annual review. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement, I actually got a good telling off for self testing. I was told that if they deemed it necessary then a meter would have been prescribed so why was I doing it. I replied that I was eating to my meter in the hope of controlling my diabetes & not putting myself at risk of complications. The DN said that it was a waste of time as I would have to test all day long as it changes. My food diary didn't get looked at & I left feeling really emotional like a naughty child.

Maz1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

That is appalling and ignorant
There is a political movement trying to stop providing test strips for type 2 diabetes on cost grounds
The DN at our practice was useless and also bordering on negligent with my husband. I am a recently retired dentist with 20 years type 2 and 18 years on insulin
Educate yourself as much as possible so you can question everything and become an expert patient about your own diabetes

Reactions: Atad heavy

Tweakieswind

Type of diabetes
Type 2

No, you are not doing anything 'wrong'. On a similar note, my DN praised me for reversing my T2 by diet and exercise, proven by my Hb1ac results, and that I no longer had T2D. My doctor, however, overturned that on my notes. Next time I saw her, the DN was furious. 'You don't have Diabetes'. On further investigation GPS earn money and brownie points by continuing to treat complaints which may be reversed or in remission. I can't remember the name of that funding, but it smacks of statistics being followed unthinkingly, and slavishly - not unlike the education of our children.

HelenEaton

Ignore her. Of course you need to test your blood! How will you know how food effects your blood sugar levels? look up Dr Bernstein he has a book called ‘Diabetes solution’ . Best book I’ve ever read and wish I had read it 27years ago. I recommend it to anyone with anytype of diabetes. He has type 1 and has helped many type 1 and 2s. He also has a YouTube Chanel called diabetes university.

Nannyrosie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you Drs Surgery do the SystmOnline I’m also in England and get all of my Drs details on line. You need to get your login details from you Drs reception.

I used to test mine when I was first diagnosed for the same reason as you. Otherwise you don’t know what is alright and wants not. I have never told them that I was testing every day.

Reactions: jjraak

Maz1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are absolutely doing the right thing, are you only getting your hba1c once a year?
I had to stop finger prick tests and changed over to sensor testing which changed things for me as l can test more frequently. I am now much more in control and my hba1c improved.
My DN and practice nurse are so supportive lcant believe the nurse was so dismissive, perhaps she needs more education in diabetes care.

kevbee

You are doing the perfect thing. By testing you can check your body's reaction to specific foods and adapt accordingly. I was told by my DN that I should be eating bananas and pasta (not together). She almost had a fit when I told her I was following a low carb regime. Then she saw my HbA1c results. 6.0%. That shut her up. Follow your own instincts, keep testing and ignore the so-called 'professionals' who have had no diabetes re-training in the last decade.

Tressycat123

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
They said that they have to get authorisation from the Doctor before giving out copies
If you tell your surgery receptionist you want to get your records online they will tell you how to do it . Then you can access all your records on Patient Access which is the site . Also you can download the app for your phone . It’s great you can see all your test results over the years and make appointments and get repeat prescription

Tressycat123

One of my diabetes nurses said same over a year ago I don't take any notice of what she says because if she been a bit more interested in type 2 diabetes she would have understood that it's very helpful controlling blood sugars.rest of the nurses are brilliant just that one who thinks she knows it all more than a docter lol

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The best thing any diabetic can do is to check their blood levels frequently in a day / week / month. Some of the states in the USA recommend this & do not worry about the cost of the strips etc because diabetics who monitor their bloods & foods well then have fewer costs & complications in time. Therefore cost less in time medically.
In the UK they have 'gone away' from a lot of good practice partly through ignorance & partly through not being willing to fund strips etc.
Most of the information given by Diabetic Nurses at Surgeries is incorrect & very poor. They are usually a practice nurse who has done a short course on diabetes and besides knowing very little often the information that they are given is 'old' & 'outdated' & incorrect.
The key thing that helps diabetics is watching foods & low carbs & low calories. And therefore bloods before & after foods really helps. I did it for several months & it made a tremendous difference to my bloods & weight.
After many years I found that the best blood sugars to help diabetics are -
4.4 to 6.7 on waking
4.4 to 6.7 before meals
5.5 to 7.8 at bedtime
8.9 2 hours after a meal
Be very careful over what Diabetic Nurses say......most are very ill informed.

Reactions: pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep on testing! When I was first diagnosed I asked the practice nurse about getting a testing kit, and she said they didn't give them out as 'people got too obsessed with testing their blood'! If I had been given a kit in the first place and proper advice about diet (not healthy plate) I may not have ended up on massive doses of insulin.

Penpusher

I'd like to raise the issue of driving and blood testing. When I told the DVLA about my Diabetes, there was a mix up and I didn't return a form. Now I have a licence that has to be renewed every 3 years, despite never having having ever had a hypo in 20 years (I inject as well as taking tablets - I'm type 2).

Aside from that, they notified me that each time I drive I have to do a blood test to ensure levels aren't too low, and every 2 hours whilst continuing to drive. Without doing the test(s) as instructed, insurance won't be valid. These tests have to be done by every diabetic who drives and I'm not sure that diabetics generally know this.

This is particularly important as the NHS have said that they are considering removing blood test strips from the free prescriptions list.

I was wondering what people think about this?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you are not doing anything 'wrong'. On a similar note, my DN praised me for reversing my T2 by diet and exercise, proven by my Hb1ac results, and that I no longer had T2D. My doctor, however, overturned that on my notes. Next time I saw her, the DN was furious. 'You don't have Diabetes'. On further investigation GPS earn money and brownie points by continuing to treat complaints which may be reversed or in remission. I can't remember the name of that funding, but it smacks of statistics being followed unthinkingly, and slavishly - not unlike the education of our children.
It is generally accepted that Type 2 cannot be cured only controlled, so your GP was probably right to keep you on the diabetic register. I like to remain classed as diabetic as I get the annual tests

RobsterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GP's not taking any real notice in my symptoms & losing drastic amounts of weight

I was given a blood test meter by my GP practice diabetic nurse to monitor blood sugars & to test 4-5 times a day, before meals & 2 hours after
I have requested test strips via GP but last blood test shows sugars are reduced & GP surgery refuse to issue more - they cost £25 for 50x strips so that’s £75 a month if I have to buy them.
My last appointment with the nurse she said sugars are acceptable & to only test 3 or 4 times a week until the test strips run out.
I’ve purchased a different machine (£15) & 100x strips (£14)
I’ve just been referred to the hospital diabetic team by the surgery diabetic GP (yes someone else) as am losing weight at a stupid rate and I might have been wrongly diagnosed with T2 but have all the symptoms of T1.5 / LADA
Also been referred to another team as have pains in the pancreas area & CT scan due in the next 2 weeks

My sugars are constantly 10 - 20 so I’m far from “being stable” & I was only diagnosed in late July 2018.

You test as often as you need as it’s important to see what foods cause spikes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2