Telling off for self testing

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't mistake my post for your criticising medics as a whole. @kitedoc .......statement was to say that irrespective or training given and completed, some will be better at delivering bad news than others, and we can all have a bad day.

Maybe my wording, but that is how I took, as indeed the wise words they were.

I suppose, it's just my take on life..
Missus hates it..

Well have a meal, she'll moan it's not good,
Come the waitress to ask how meal was, she's all "it was very nice"...me?..I'll explain why it disappointed..but I'll also go out of my way to praise good service, where she'll be of the opinion.." their just doing there job.."

In both cases correct, and we each choose our own way of conveying the appropriate information ..;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Bluetit1802, so if one's HBA1C remains above a certain level then 3 monthly tests continue - thinking here of all types of diabetics?

I think this possibly depends on the protocol in the individual surgeries. There are no hard and fast rules. In my case I was on 3 monthly tests (no medication involved) until I had 2 consecutive HbA1cs under the magic 48 and was then moved to 6 monthly.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve no idea. I’ve seen my dn once since diagnosis and requested two more 3 monthly tests myself based on what I read here and been given them. No follow ups to them by the surgery. I just looked results up online. I’ll continue doing so until I see something concerning, they refuse or they make contact with me. I’ll ask for a review at the 1 yr mark and try and get it clarified then.

Reactions: kitedoc

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
She should feel lucky I'm not one of her patients. She'd have got a right gob full in no uncertain terms. The customer is always right.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed as being type 2 in October last year so this is all new to me. Before I got the telling off for self testing I was asked if I had attended the Desmond course. I replied that I hadn't & that I had found this site which helped me immensely. I could so easily have replied that I would not spend another minute of my life listening to somebody tell me that I should be following the "eat well plate " because following that advice for 8 years had possibly contributed to me being diagnosed as type 2 in the first place. Perhaps she felt that I was not helping myself in refusing to attend this course.
I see self testing as taking responsibility for my health, I have also joined a gym & with the help of an hour with a physical trainer who is fully aware of my medical history, I now have a set programme to improve my fitness despite the fact that I am pushing 67 years old.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I finally got a diagnosis of failed thyroid after ages pointing out I had all the symptoms of failed thyroid the doctor began the interview with 'There is something seriously wrong' -
I wandered off with my prescription shaking my head - but then - no one likes a smartass -

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had nine surgeries by age 21, and my opinion, as a minor undergoing necessary procedures, of the medical profession was benevolent; they did what was necessary and right for their patients.

My recent diabetes diagnosis has been a massive shock to my system regarding the medical profession. If I had not done my own research I never would've heard about low carbs and high fat. The guide from my diabetes education course says I should eat a minimum of 150 grams of carbs a day! Investigating further I learned about big money in the business, actual formal diabetes associations and food guides giving out incorrect advice, and so forth. It's rather rattled me, that the places we should be able to trust for accurate information are wrong.

In short, you are not wrong. They are. For evidence that what I'm doing is right, and the professional info I was given is wrong, I need look no further than my lab results showing a huge increase in my health, including reducing my A1C from 11.8% to 6.1% in three months.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I had nine surgeries by age 21, and my opinion, as a minor undergoing necessary procedures, of the medical profession was benevolent; they did what was necessary and right for their patients.

My recent diabetes diagnosis has been a massive shock to my system regarding the medical profession. If I had not done my own research I never would've heard about low carbs and high fat. The guide from my diabetes education course says I should eat a minimum of 150 grams of carbs a day! Investigating further I learned about big money in the business, actual formal diabetes associations and food guides giving out incorrect advice, and so forth. It's rather rattled me, that the places we should be able to trust for accurate information are wrong.

In short, you are not wrong. They are. For evidence that what I'm doing is right, and the professional info I was given is wrong, I need look no further than my lab results showing a huge increase in my health, including reducing my A1C from 11.8% to 6.1% in three months.
Great post @neithskye. I hope your anaemia troubles have settled !!

Reactions: jjraak

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed as being type 2 in October last year so this is all new to me. Before I got the telling off for self testing I was asked if I had attended the Desmond course. I replied that I hadn't & that I had found this site which helped me immensely. I could so easily have replied that I would not spend another minute of my life listening to somebody tell me that I should be following the "eat well plate " because following that advice for 8 years had possibly contributed to me being diagnosed as type 2 in the first place. Perhaps she felt that I was not helping myself in refusing to attend this course.
I see self testing as taking responsibility for my health, I have also joined a gym & with the help of an hour with a physical trainer who is fully aware of my medical history, I now have a set programme to improve my fitness despite the fact that I am pushing 67 years old.

Our glucose meter will tell us how well we have adjusted our diet for optimal glucose/insulin control. Unfortunately not all healthcare providers are happy about that...it will make many of them redundant...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
How often do other T2Ds have their HBA1Cs done ?? Any takers ??
Annually. I think if my DN or GP said I shouldn't monitor then I would insist on quarterly HbA1c for the simple reason that would be the only way of getting a picture for the whole year and not just the last three months of the last year. The idea of just seeing what your BG is doing in the last three months of the year is totally bonkers and the suggestion is totally flawed. Perhaps the OP should remind her DN about that and maybe drop a line to the practice manager because I'm sure there will be other less conscientious patents who are happy not to monitor and will only have a record of the last three months in any one year.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Th
Annually. I think if my DN or GP said I shouldn't monitor then I would insist on quarterly HbA1c for the simple reason that would be the only way of getting a picture for the whole year and not just the last three months of the last year. The idea of just seeing what your BG is doing in the last three months of the year is totally bonkers and the suggestion is totally flawed. Perhaps the OP should remind her DN about that and maybe drop a line to the practice manager because I'm sure there will be other less conscientious patents who are happy not to monitor and will only have a record of the last three months in any one year.
Thank you@DavidGrahamJones. The idea of doctors saying to T2Ds, don't test or monitor your BSLs and then only order the HBA1C once or twice a year is just as bonkers IMO. Ignorance is bliss- but for whom??

M

Member496333

[...] Ignorance is bliss- but for whom??

Agriculture and pharmaceutical industries. Additionally, the doctors and nurses who won’t have to be exposed as unwittingly pedalling fictional dietary advice that damages health and directly endangers the life of those they are supposed to be helping.

Basically everyone except the patient.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great post @neithskye. I hope your anaemia troubles have settled !!
Aw, thank you for remembering. I went to my doctor and had a blood test done. Everything was normal, including my hemoglobin which was back up to 133 (range is 120-160). Maybe I had a bad day when I tried donating blood.

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, what I can't believe is that you/they booked you in for a Annual Diabetic Review. You probably had a Blood test a week or two before this in readiness for the appointment which is the norm.
Just can't believe the DN couldn't give you the results when you saw her
Very Strange!!!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The comments I've read here reinforces my belief that the level of service from our GPs, DNs and surgeries general is completely random. I don't think I can put any of it down to region or age, Just on diabetic reviews, I have them annually, I actually get a form to fill in, results are discussed with the DN as well as concerns I might have and any objectives I have which are filled in after. A good system I think, I've read my previous years "objectives" and been surprised. Bit like reading old forum messages and saying "did I really say that, I don't think I meant that, I must be reading it differently".

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, what I can't believe is that you/they booked you in for a Annual Diabetic Review. You probably had a Blood test a week or two before this in readiness for the appointment which is the norm.
Just can't believe the DN couldn't give you the results when you saw her
Very Strange!!!!
I didn't have blood tests prior to the appointment they were taken on the day, I was told that unless there was a problem I would hear in 2 - 3 weeks

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have blood tests prior to the appointment they were taken on the day, I was told that unless there was a problem I would hear in 2 - 3 weeks
Usually you have the blood test 1-2 weeks before and the DN/GP discusses the results wth you at your review. It seems pointless having a review if there are no results to compare with your last ones. I have a review every 6 months and always have my bloods done 2 weeks beforehand - although they did forget to do my hba1c on one occasion.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That seems quite pointless as your DN needs to imform you what you are! To hear in 2/3 weeks after the review is also a bit weird. Alas it is how your Surgery I guess works.
Blood tests are normally ready to view in 48hrs from giving.
Call your surgery and ask them over the phone or go online with your Surgery and join if they have this.
Once done you can look at your own patient record for yourself.
Ps, you will have to obtain a password from your Surgery first. Counting on they are in this system.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The comments I've read here reinforces my belief that the level of service from our GPs, DNs and surgeries general is completely random. I don't think I can put any of it down to region or age, Just on diabetic reviews, I have them annually, I actually get a form to fill in, results are discussed with the DN as well as concerns I might have and any objectives I have which are filled in after. A good system I think, I've read my previous years "objectives" and been surprised. Bit like reading old forum messages and saying "did I really say that, I don't think I meant that, I must be reading it differently".
Like New Year resolutions !!