Telling People You're Diabetic

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I wondered what experiences others have had?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont mind telling people, but the longer I have had this condition , the less I do need to talk about it... sometimes I actually don´t tell it at all , like going on a plane , I don´t want their low fat diabetes food , so don´t tell it,

I think it is the most important to actually tell other people would be if one is a type 1 diabetic and do get too low blood glucose once in a while, then it actually can be lifesaving if people around do know what exactly to do and to get help in a hurry if it is needed, type 2 on insulin affecting drugs could have the same need for other peoples help, and then it can be a disaster if one has not told people what to do, many would think the person should not at all have any sugar and if it is not understood that when one hypos that then sugar/glucose is indeed the the only food that can save the person it could end up in either brain damage or death if people do not know how to help

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, agree - I realized recently that I've known more Type 1 diabetics than Type 2, which is statistically unlikely ...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, agree - I realized recently that I've known more Type 1 diabetics than Type 2, which is statistically unlikely ...

by the way many fitness gurus do also eat the very low carb high fat eating style, so there are so many non-diabetics that also do eat LCHF ... so maybe many would only assume that you are trying to be optimally healthy, as it is very healthy to get ones insulin as low as possible in the normal range

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way many fitness gurus do also eat the very low carb high fat eating style, so there are so many non-diabetics that also do eat LCHF ... so maybe many would only assume that you are trying to be optimally healthy, as it is very healthy to get ones insulin as low as possible in the normal range

I'll just wear my trainers more often and leave a copy of Men's Health on the coffee table to encourage this belief.

D

Deleted Account

Probably a small thing but I don’t tell people I am diabetic or I am a diabetic. I tell people I “have diabetes”.
The semantics are important to me because diabetes is a small part of me; it does not define me and only dictates a small part of my life.
This is important to me ... and I hope by describing myself this way, others will do too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I wondered what experiences others have had?

I think we should tell our family, because of the family gene's. It could benefit a family member who may have noticed symptoms, so It's about being aware, if you don't need to tell work colleagues, friends or the neighbour's, then don't.
All the best with the continued weight loss.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My signature says LADA but my consultant still thinks I'm type2, so I'll answer anyway. No need to tell, as anyone who's around me will see me checking bg or taking insulin.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I told my brother who’s older than me immediately as although I am the only type 2 in our family I wanted him to know in case there was a genetic link. I hesitated to tell my parents straight away as they are in their 80s and I didn’t want to worry them til I’d got it under control. I eventually told them after 3 months and 3 stone weight loss when my Dad who I hadn’t seen since diagnosis, commented on my weight loss, I just blurted it all out. By then I had got down to the prediabetic range so was more settled with it all myself.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I didn’t tell anyone at first. I was too emotional.
Now I’m 2 stone lighter and on the road to successful management I tell most people. Not so it defines me but so maybe I can help change attitudes.
Before I got T2, I have never heard anyone say out loud that they had it.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I tell everyone and anyone that I have Type 2 Diabetes. I want to burst the bubble that some folk are in i.e 'It couldn't happen to me'.

Reactions: AloeSvea

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Helen I like to think there is a lot more going on in my life too but I do think it is important like Guzzler said to let people know it can happen to all ages, shapes and sizes. My most cringey moment was in a local pub asking for gin and slimline and they produced Fevertree Naturally Light. I said I cant have that because I have diabetis and it contains too many carbs. A group of people sitting at the bar burst into laughter and told me to stick to water then. I havent gone back.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The week after diagnosis I gave all my carbs away, so beer went to some chums at work and I told them why. Told my brothers and anyone else I thought might be interested in my weight loss.
I'm fortunate in that I've yet to encounter a negative response or comment since.
Agreeing with @helensaramay

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight.

Personally, I told all my family as soon as I was diagnosed. My father was type II anyway, and in some ways it was to make them all aware of diabetes and to some extent, educate them a little bit with what I was learning.

As for family having preconceived ideas of why you are diabetic, you have the opportunity to put them right. It would be a shame to leave them in their ignorance, although you will know better.

One thing people might forget is one's employers, I think it's vital they know. If there is any possibility of having a hypo because of medication, you really want workmates to be aware rather than being in the position where they're scratching their heads wandering what might be wrong with you.

I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

The Keto diet is hardly a fad, becoming popular as a therapy for epilepsy in the 1920s and 30s, but had been around since the early 1900s. Something else you can put them right on.

I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

The Keto Diet is going to have a greater impact on your BG than additional weight loss. In my case just giving up bread/potato/pasta/rice brought my BG down so much I was able to avoid going on to insulin, threw away the Gliclazide and Januvia and my cholesterol dropped so much as well that the statins followed the other two out the window. My HbA1c were regularly in the mid 40s (mmol/mol) although I'm struggling a bit these days with the dawn phenomenon which is skewing those result a bit. I use the Freestyle Libre so I can see what my BG is doing 24/7 and even allowing for some inaccuracy, I have a pretty good idea.

Reactions: hankjam and Guzzler

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My signature says LADA but my consultant still thinks I'm type2, so I'll answer anyway. No need to tell, as anyone who's around me will see me checking bg or taking insulin.
It took me a couple of weeks to tell my favourite aunt though. Had to feel a bit more confident in myself first after diagnosis. I love her, but she's been nagging me about my weight since I was 11 or so, and I hate it. The good thing, since I told her I have diabetes she hasn't bothered me about my weight anymore (haven't lost any, so still fat) and instead compliments me with my diabetes control :)

Reactions: hankjam

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
An individual choice but I sure would if I was T1.

Reactions: therower

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When people question my dietary choices I explain I am diabetic so choose not to eat carbohydrates to any great amount.

Reactions: Antje77

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I live my life as an open book, with a couple of chapters firmly kept for my eyes only. I find it easiest that way, I can not remember for the life of me who I have told and who not. Discovering I was moving into diabetes and deciding to start checking my bg 2 hours after eating meant that my manager needed to know so that I could take the couple of minutes in the office to test. In fairness it also meant that my colleagues also needed to know so that they did not wonder why I was suddenly taking time out. The result was very supportive all round.
When I am away and have meals prepared without added grain flour (often used to thicken a sauce) or sugar I take the opportunity to explain my diet and often am told 'you don't look diabetic' (whatever a diabetic looks like!) and even was advised to go back to my doctor because I would not be diabetic any more. The sooner that people realise that it is not just overweight people who may develop it the sooner the social stigma will lessen, I hope. Then the voices of people who eat low carb may begin to be heard.

Reactions: AloeSvea