Telling People You're Diabetic

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I don’t tell people either. If I have a hypo at work, I have supplies ready for a failure like this and I take care of it myself.

Reactions: Flora123

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive not told everyone, aside of family & very close friends, nothing untoward should happen as Im T2, no insulin etc.. Its just the questions that I know I'd find hard. Its not so much denial as perhaps a little embarrassment as I feel I caused it myself in years gone by, through not considering my diet as much as I now do.

Norman590

Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I wondered what experiences others have had?
It depends to a large degree to what you need from others knowing. If, for example, you eat out a lot (whether for business or pleasure) and fixed menus play a large part in such events, then really you ought to let whoever is catering know or else you will end up in unhealthy eating or go hungry (and possibly give unnecessary offence). If we want to break remaining taboos surrounding the condition, we can help by being open. If they think I 'had it coming' because I was overweight then so be it. In my case I admit they would be right. At least by being open we generate debate and debate leads to greater understanding.

Reactions: AloeSvea

delia 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
shopping, eating out
Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I've been diabetic for about 38 yrs now due to hereditary. I'm 72 yrs. old, never smoke and drink (because I don't like the smell and taste), never overweight and still agile. I tried to be knowledgeable with diabetes thru reading ... from reliable sources. I exercise but not religiously due to busyness working on my computer doing some projects So far I don't have the symptoms associated with this disease. Currently I take Janumet. I never deny that I'm a diabetic type 2. I cringe when I see somebody with diabetics eat a lot of sugary foods but I just keep quiet because I know they don't want to hear a "sermon". I also know some who have diabetes but on denial. They seem embarrass to admit that they're diabetic. However, when I see informative articles about sugar, I post them in my FB timeline. For those who want to know more about diabetes, I give them some reading materals from my hardcopy or e-file clippings collections. It's a big deal that people you're close with know you are diabetic so they won't insist that you eat the sugary foods that they're serving. You must tell to those close to you and your family that you have diabetes. Who knows they might have diabetes, too and they're on denial or unware of it. Having diabetes diagnose early is very important because you will be able to maintain it the proper way.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So what happens when you do have a bad hypo in work? Surely it would be in your interest to let people know and also to tell them how they can help you??

But I will not have a bad hypo at work. Feel quite confident on that.

I eat low carb and inject small dose. My level is stable and predictable. I carry sugar tablets everywhere just in case. I can't imagine a situation where I need someone's help.

Also I'm adult onset type 1 so this might mean easier management. I don't know. the condition can change in future .... but I hope the things will stay this way to the end.

Reactions: Odin004 and Antje77

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
But I will not have a bad hypo at work. Feel quite confident on that.

I eat low carb and inject small dose. My level is stable and predictable. I carry sugar tablets everywhere just in case. I can't imagine a situation where I need someone's help.

Also I'm adult onset type 1 so this might mean easier management. I don't know. the condition can change in future .... but I hope the things will stay this way to the end.
Fingers crossed I hope you never have a bad hypo. BUT it's type 1 diabetes and can be very unpredictable. My personal opinion is to let all who I work with know what to do incase of an emergency. I have been working here 23 years and have not had a bad hypo in work

Reactions: kev-w

suhasini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Except my husband nobody knew about it in the beginning. I admit I am still hesitant or embarrassed (?) to tell anyone. While flying during bag check too, the huge 'cache' of medicines sometimes results in a second look at me. from the agents.Overall I can say that people's reactions are still far from what I would like.I don't like either pity or judgement directed towards me.But they don't get it ! Sigh!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've told pretty much all my friends, to stop them trying to feed me pasta/rice/chocolate/food they know I love. And everyone is fine with it, and with my low carbing. But I'm not overweight or have the (totally unreasonable) obvious judgement factors that anyone could try and throw at me. It just is.

Weird thing is that I am severely deaf, and even with hearing aids cannot function well in crowds/with strangers/in big echoey rooms. But I'm still terrified of telling random people, even though it would help that they knew and might otherwise think I'm being rude. I've gone four years of kids being at a new school... and unless you tell people at the beginning, it seems odd to bring it up four years later.... ;)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've told the people who've needed to know, employers, teammates, pool lifeguards, Swansea, dates and attempted dates :) and friends of course, I've had the old 'you don't look diabetic' a good few times over the years but I've only told them because they don't look stupid...

If you're using insulin it is best to be upfront about it as sometimes it can all go awry and escalate quickly if not properly handled :)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
T1 and told my family and work colleagues although the MDIs are a giveaway

Each to their own if they wish to disclose or not

I’ve had some horrendous hypos all times of the day and night I have awareness but crikey they can happen so fast

I’m happier knowing that family, friends and colleagues know I have diabetes

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fingers crossed I hope you never have a bad hypo. BUT it's type 1 diabetes and can be very unpredictable. My personal opinion is to let all who I work with know what to do incase of an emergency. I have been working here 23 years and have not had a bad hypo in work

So do you actually ask people at work to call ambulance in case of an emergency. I think most people don't know much about diabetes/insulin anyway. Do you explain them in details? I tend to tell people just to I explain why I'm low carbing.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
So do you actually ask people at work to call ambulance in case of an emergency. I think most people don't know much about diabetes/insulin anyway. Do you explain them in details? I tend to tell people just to I explain why I'm low carbing.
Not to phone an ambulance. But they all know how to test my blood and they know there are jelly babies in the fridge and how many yo give me. The boss (my brother) knows how to administer the glucagon injection if I am out of it. 999 is the last post of call

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not to phone an ambulance. But they all know how to test my blood and they know there are jelly babies in the fridge and how many yo give me. The boss (my brother) knows how to administer the glucagon injection if I am out of it. 999 is the last post of call

Thank u for the response. :)

I think it's an interesting topic. I work in a quite formal place. We have first aid kit somewhere and first aid officer on each floor but the kit probably doesn't have glucagon. Telling my bosses mean a formal request of something which I wasn't sure what I should be asking is the reason I haven't told. If my bosses ask me why I'm low carbing I might just tell them.

Reactions: porl69

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been very open about T2 from the get-go... Kindof par for the course, as I have been about other conditions before this.T2 was no different. And I had hypo's at first, thanks to my thyroid, so I needed people to know what to do in case of emergency. (Once my meds got sorted I was fine, except for one time last week, when it was almost 40 degrees out. Yay for cookies!!!) Waiting staff often offers gluten free bread when I ask to leave bread out, and when I throw "I'm diabetic" out there they just nod and go with it. The only ignorant/b*tchy comments I ever got came from a fellow T2, so, so far, so good. :)

Reactions: briped

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't tell anyone as people do not really care and I have told people in the past and it was used against me for people to feel better about their own problems. I even had managers who wrote about it in my professional development plan instead of writing positive and work related things. I agree that it should not define you as a person