Temporary Removal of Pump

Amyb94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I’m currently on a tandem tslim pump but I am going to a day spa at the weekend and will be in and out of the pool/hot tub all day and am therefore concerned about being disconnected from my pump for too long. I was potentially looking to go back onto pens (Levemir and FIASP) just for this one day, has anyone successfully done this and can offer any advice? Many thanks!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done this for 6 hrs or so, I took a pen and injected my pumps basal every hour or two and then any bolus's needed, once done went back on pump. I'm also on a t:slim.

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do a similar thing when I spend a lot of time in the pool on holiday but I just jump out the pool, plug pump back in and take an hour or 2s basal and any bolus ( for the cocktails) then, it works pretty well!

Reactions: Amyb94 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Can anyone recommend a waterproof container that can be worn so as to keep the (detached pump) safe and dry in watery locations? I did the spa thing for 3 hours on Monday and detached the pump with a quick recharge after two hours. I stashed it in a bag that I hung next to the pool(s). Only issue was that when we packed for holiday I took a one piece instead of a top and swin shorts, so had to take off costume to detach and attach pump. I think if I did it again I'd take a two piece of some sort. (Also a tandem user, and for the first time I actually used the plugs for both cannula and pump tube end).

Reactions: Amyb94

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone recommend a waterproof container that can be worn so as to keep the (detached pump) safe and dry in watery locations? I did the spa thing for 3 hours on Monday and detached the pump with a quick recharge after two hours. I stashed it in a bag that I hung next to the pool(s). Only issue was that when we packed for holiday I took a one piece instead of a top and swin shorts, so had to take off costume to detach and attach pump. I think if I did it again I'd take a two piece of some sort. (Also a tandem user, and for the first time I actually used the plugs for both cannula and pump tube end).
I have one of these but its big and bulky, only used it a few times in 10 years. https://aquapac.net/products/waterproof-insulin-pump-case-mini

• Informative

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was using a tubed pump and went to a spa, I followed the same approach as @sninge - I briefly reconnected my pump and bolused a basal top up every hour or so.
However, I have not done this with HCL and can see why it would be preferable to stay attached in that case.

I would not bother with pens, especially basal, as it would seem a waste and there is the possibility of extra basal on board when reconnecting the pump.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was using a tubed pump and went to a spa, I followed the same approach as @sninge - I briefly reconnected my pump and bolused a basal top up every hour or so.
However, I have not done this with HCL and can see why it would be preferable to stay attached in that case.

I would not bother with pens, especially basal, as it would seem a waste and there is the possibility of extra basal on board when reconnecting the pump.
I would do the same and use the pump, as long as the activity your doing is safe for the pump to be stored seperately.

Reactions: Amyb94