Tendon and Foot Injuries

polarsun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In recent years, every time I start an exercise program, no matter how slowly or moderate, I develop achilles tendonitis (AT) or plantar fasciitis or both. Currently I have both conditions in both feet. I hear it is more common in diabetes.

Anyone struggling with the same?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bit of that last year - all this is my own thoughts, didn't go to physio. Started playing football again and within six weeks had what I thought at first was a torn achilles. Bit of reading told me otherwise. It did improve with rest and ice and I now use something like deep heat or tiger balm (preferred) to warm it up before playing. Still get the odd twinge but nothing like it was.

Point of interest - this all happened with a bang normal A1c, so it could well be worse with higher BGs.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had plantar fasciitis (as diagnosed by my gp) so went to a podiatrist and got the recommendation to wear a certain type of sandal at all times in the house and some insoles/orthotics for my shoes/walking boots. I've had no problems since then.

I've also bought some cheap and cheerful insoles sold as being for plantar fasciitis and put them in my trainers.