Terrified Newbie

Ady Kiwi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I have just had a reading of HbA1c:50 mmol/mol which puts me in the Diabetes category and is completely terrifying despite having cut back on sugar and most carbs over the last 3 weeks. The worst of it is, I am so confused about all the diet information. Low Carb, Keto, Plant-based and low-calorie diets all seem to have the same effect in reducing weight and reversing diabetes and I just don't know which route to go down. I would really appreciate hearing people's experiences. In the past I have had a fatty liver which makes me frightened of high-fat diets but perhaps some of you have been in the same boat and kept your liver healthy while doing one. It would be great to know. My doctor is trying to put me on Metformin but if I can reverse this relatively quickly with diet I would be much happier.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't panic. 50 isn't that bad and three weeks behaving won't show much of a result on the Hba1c.

Fat doesn't give you a fatty liver. Ethanol and fructose does so you would do better giving up alcohol, fizzy drinks and sugar.

AdeCM

I have had a similar conversation with the practice nurse this morning.
She wants to repeat the blood test next week - Is there any point, my wife who is type1 says it looks at an average of the last 12 weeks…

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She wants to repeat the blood test next week - Is there any point, my wife who is type1 says it looks at an average of the last 12 weeks…
There's little point in repeating an Hba1c test next week since it is, as you say, a reading that is an average (or nearly) over the last 12 weeks or so. Maybe she has another test in mind.

pilkersaeo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Life is too short to have dislikes
Hi AdyKiwi. I know how you feel when you first get a diagnosis of what is potentially a life changing issue (I don’t like to call it an illness). I am a T2 diabetic who was diagnosed about 10 years ago at the age of 59. My numbers have been as high as 90! I am currently on metformin slow release. I have no side effects from the medication. So what worked for me? Diet and exercise helped me lose 2 stone which reduced my BMI to 24.9 just under the 25 overweight number. My reduced weight is the single biggest factor that has helped me. At my last check my score was 45, which my diabetic nurse said is wonderful. I eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, brown bread and look for low sugar alternatives where possible (including jam and marmalade). In moderation I have chocolate and ice cream and fruit cake. What I am trying to convey is that nothing is off limits, but moderation is the key word.

I am not a doctor or a dietician, but I am sharing my experiences with you. It worked for me. Please don’t be frightened or have any negative feelings about you diagnosis. You have been dealt a new hand to play. Look for the positives, as hard as it may seem. A score of 50 is not bad. I was told 53 is the magic number, so you are still below. Take control now and all will be well.

hope this helps. Good luck and take care

Mark

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given 2 HbA1c tests a few weeks apart, I think the second one it to make sure the first one was was accurate before they confirm diagnosis.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/ everything you need to know about diabetes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes how to reverse T2
Yes I agree, I was tested 8 days after my first high HbA1c and was told the same.
@Ady Kiwi i was never officially told I had fatty liver, however my liver function blood tests, particularly ALT was very high and came down to normal with a low carb high fat diet alongside losing loads of weight.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
am so confused about all the diet information. Low Carb, Keto, Plant-based and low-calorie diets all seem to have the same effect in reducing weight and reversing diabetes and I just don't know which route to go down.
The short answer is whichever one you can stick to for life and which best controls your blood sugar. Each of us is different.
You will need to get a meter to test your bg (the nurse will say you don't need to test but you do if you want to know what works and what doesn't).
Secondly, don't panic, this took years to develop and you have the rest of your life to manage it. The first few weeks and months will be learning, don't expect to get it right first time.

I'm tagging @Rachox for the info on meters

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tanks for the tag @MrsA2

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have recently bought out the Gluco Navii, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the discount codes that I have quoted recently so I don’t know if they are still current.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are only just in the range to be diagnosed as diabetic the second test is probably for confirmation - my Hba1c was 91 so there was little doubt about the diagnosis then.
To lower blood glucose levels an ordinary uncomplicated type two just needs to eat fewer carbohydrate, which is starch and sugar in all its forms.
Having a meter and checking that all is well helps a lot.
When you see normal numbers on the meter after eating, just wait to see how it has changed your Hba1c, and you might also feel better as well.

Ady Kiwi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't panic. 50 isn't that bad and three weeks behaving won't show much of a result on the Hba1c.

Fat doesn't give you a fatty liver. Ethanol and fructose does so you would do better giving up alcohol, fizzy drinks and sugar.

Thank you so much for your info!!

Ady Kiwi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AdyKiwi. I know how you feel when you first get a diagnosis of what is potentially a life changing issue (I don’t like to call it an illness). I am a T2 diabetic who was diagnosed about 10 years ago at the age of 59. My numbers have been as high as 90! I am currently on metformin slow release. I have no side effects from the medication. So what worked for me? Diet and exercise helped me lose 2 stone which reduced my BMI to 24.9 just under the 25 overweight number. My reduced weight is the single biggest factor that has helped me. At my last check my score was 45, which my diabetic nurse said is wonderful. I eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, brown bread and look for low sugar alternatives where possible (including jam and marmalade). In moderation I have chocolate and ice cream and fruit cake. What I am trying to convey is that nothing is off limits, but moderation is the key word.

I am not a doctor or a dietician, but I am sharing my experiences with you. It worked for me. Please don’t be frightened or have any negative feelings about you diagnosis. You have been dealt a new hand to play. Look for the positives, as hard as it may seem. A score of 50 is not bad. I was told 53 is the magic number, so you are still below. Take control now and all will be well.

hope this helps. Good luck and take care

Mark
Hi Mark. Thank you sooo much for sharing your experience. I just found out today I have lost 7kgs (hadn't been weighing myself because I was too scared) and coping really well with two sensible meals a day so feel I have turned a corner. It was really encouraging to hear your story and very good of you to take the time.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there. I have just had a reading of HbA1c:50 mmol/mol which puts me in the Diabetes category and is completely terrifying despite having cut back on sugar and most carbs over the last 3 weeks. The worst of it is, I am so confused about all the diet information. Low Carb, Keto, Plant-based and low-calorie diets all seem to have the same effect in reducing weight and reversing diabetes and I just don't know which route to go down. I would really appreciate hearing people's experiences. In the past I have had a fatty liver which makes me frightened of high-fat diets but perhaps some of you have been in the same boat and kept your liver healthy while doing one. It would be great to know. My doctor is trying to put me on Metformin but if I can reverse this relatively quickly with diet I would be much happier.
Hi Ady
I’m assuming your T2 and as long as you do what we did you’ll be fine . Do some good daily walks and get on the HFLC diet and you’ll feel a new person before you know it . Being diagnosed and taking the necessary action was the best thing that ever happened to me but I didn’t think so at a time .

Reactions: jjraak

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

This is true however the test is slightly biased towards the last 30days

So a new test after 3 - 4 weeks can show a reduction in hbA1c if you’ve been good with diet

If on diagnosis you are just over the threshold to be diabetic it is possible that the 2nd test could come just under

So in the longer term it’s not worth having a test more often than every 3 months. But after the first raised hba1c they often ask for a 2nd a few weeks later to confirm diagnosis and you may see some improvement in that time

Ady Kiwi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ady
I’m assuming your T2 and as long as you do what we did you’ll be fine . Do some good daily walks and get on the HFLC diet and you’ll feel a new person before you know it . Being diagnosed and taking the necessary action was the best thing that ever happened to me but I didn’t think so at a time .

Thank you so much for the encouragement Rog!