Tesco PLC(GB) no Low Carb option

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
Here in the UK Tesco have started rolling out their new website. Included is the ability for shoppers to filter search results by Lifestyle and Dietary options. Here is the information about the options on their website.
https://www.tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions/#Dietary

Food_Cupboard.png

There is no "low carbohydrate" option.

Although there is a low sugar option, anyone who knows their nutritional values will know that's like having a low saturated fat option instead of a low fat option. Sugar is not the only source of carbohydrate in food. I think it's an oversight to exclude a low carbohydrate option because otherwise, why would anybody be wanting low sugar when the product still contains significant amounts of carbs? (except looking after their teeth)

If this issue concerns you too, then please send your thoughts to Tesco grocery customer services, here's the form;
https://www.tescohelp.com/tesco/forms/ghs_form.html

Thank you.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find most of their filters don't work properly anyway and throw quite a few rogue stuff into the search results so I don't think I would rely on a search for low carb anyway - to my mind if it had to be tagged low carb it's probably highly processed anyway - sticking to fresh meat veg fish etc is a better option imho

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco is one of the sponsers of the other forum (diabetes.org.uk ) They frequently work together, so highly unlikely they would promote low carb in any way.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you are not missing out. Have a look for yourself.
Have you looked at their website recently? It's all changed and for the better. I couldn't find any mention of the Eat-well Plate and the carb advice is much more sensible. The Food Fads bit (found via the menu icon) eventually suggests having reduced carbs - wow! We're getting there.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked at their website recently? It's all changed and for the better. I couldn't find any mention of the Eat-well Plate and the carb advice is much more sensible. The Food Fads bit (found via the menu icon) eventually suggests having reduced carbs - wow! We're getting there.
Well its still suggesting eating canned fruits and vegetables and two portions of toast every day so its slow progress !

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Tesco have just started doing a ‘low Carb’ bread... it labelled as such. It is like Burgen Bread, but I thought much softer .... and very nice at 9g of Carbs per slice. The slices are just slightly smaller than Burgen Bread and the loaf is smaller in size... funny old thing they have stopped stocking Burgen Bread. Will use again.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
S
Well its still suggesting eating canned fruits and vegetables and two portions of toast every day so its slow progress !
I still eat toast - usually only at week-ends and I have sandwiches once or twice a week all made with the Tesco high protein bread which is 9g carbs per slice.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend just started making low carb pancakes to put her fillings in. Two eggs whisked together with table spoon of mayonnaise salt and pepper, cooked in butter, very thin covering of egg to make two very large thin pancakes. She the rolls tuna etc into the pancake and takes that to work, seems to be working well as a " bread " substitute and very tasty .