Test results confusion??

madfish69

Hi,

NHS surgeries seem to get wierder by the day. In the past I woud call my GP surgery and ask about my results...the numbers for hba1 c fasting etc....today I call (phone system says press 4 for test results)...get through...ask for my results...receptionist goes...I can't give you the resuts..we're not allowed to?? Why? Because we at reception aren't medically trained, so we can't give out info? ***?

I said I'm not asking you for advice...I'm asking you for the numbers on your screen...NO...so why do you have the option to press 4 for test results...and why can't a patient know about his own numbers...uumm listen mister...I'm not medically trained...I can't give out the numbers...do you want to book an appt? ***!!??

So now I'm going waste my time, the doc's time just to get my own data?

Have you had the same experience for your results?

BTW...I asked her are the results "normal"...she said yes...but won't give numbers!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery won't give out the results over the phone for the same reasons you mentioned. I just go to the surgery and get a printout. They then check with the doctor to see if it is ok for me to have a printout - and yes it is!

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hmmmm medicaly untrained to cannot give out test result values ( maybe that should be numerically untrained) yet can pass comment "there normal" on the interpretation of said results personally personally I would consider a greater understanding and medical training would be needed to do this. My drs sergery said all normal on results only to be informed 2 weeks later they whrer not and I have ckd and liver damage . To****s

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blimey, I just ring up and the receptionist gives me mine.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I phone and ask for a printout. The receptionist does not have to have an opinion, she just gives me the paper.

She told me that I have a right to my print out.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
madfish69 said:
today I call (phone system says press 4 for test results)...get through...ask for my results...receptionist goes...I can't give you the resuts..we're not allowed to?? Why? Because we at reception aren't medically trained, so we can't give out info? ***?

I sometimes still write computer code. Useless logic loops usually happen when you design systems with a hangover, after a sleepless night, with a head cold or any one of a number of ailments which cloud precise thinking.

Banking systems are full of them!

Trouble is if you ask the receptionist, 'then why do you have an option to press 4 for test results?', you'll likely get told that they don't tolerate any sort of telephone abuse.

There is only one answer, develop a sense of humour, for the sake of your own sanity.

Me, I just hit the whisky bottle and open a packet of fags :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
dawnmc said:
Blimey, I just ring up and the receptionist gives me mine.

She's obviously not 'house trained' yet.

grumpy-receptionist.jpeg

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP when he/she reviews the blood tests often adds a comment to the file so when you ring up the receptionist she is able to say 'normal or please make an appointment'
Hence they can give you your printout, which they do not look at or pass on the GPs comment.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Here in Italy when you get blood tests etc. You are given a password and are told to look up the site in a couple of days and you can print off the results. Any result outwith the norm is marked with an asterix,the responsability is then yours to take them to the doctor.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Same here.

Won't give me results, print off results or release my medical record to the university which wants to assess me so I can get a learning support assistant with DSA

I've not been able to book an appointment for a month because I've been SO busy sorting **** out and getting my work done. I don't see why I need to take up a whole appointment slot just to get results and a repeat prescription when I am in contact with the GP via email anyway. Just email me the **** results!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

collectingrocks

Personally I would not be happy for a receptionist to give me test results over the phone. For one, she won't understand what she's talking about, secondly you don't know who's listening in which leads me to my third point, patient confidentiality.

I also sit on the other side of the fence where "I" give patients their results, but not over the phone for precisely reasons 2 and 3 above. I prefer to give patient results to their face which they appreciate.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
My diabetic nurse phones me at work with my results three days after giving blood. I wouldn’t be happy if I had to visit the surgery for this info.
Would be a shocking waste of nurse time and my time and heavy on the planet also.
Great service
Great nurse

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You have a right to your test results one way or another from the surgery. On a couple of occasions I have asked for my results at reception and been given them with no problem by the receptionist. Possibly going into reception will help. If the receptionist won't give you your results, then complain to the Practice Manager; they can't refuse. You can even insist on your complete medical history if you want as long as you pay a small admin fee.

snow flake

When I have my HBA1C tested every 6 months via my hospital consultant, he sends a letter to my GP giving all results and I receive a copy too, so I know each time what it is.