Test Results - just in.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HBa1C 39mmol/mol, down 2 points from last time but not quite where the Libre was pointing @ 32... Think it may be time to take a break from the Libre for a few months.

Hypothyroid - TSH level 0.26 - lower than the 0.35-5.0 range but report states "if on thyroxine replacement appears satisfactory??" Will be querying that in follow up phone call.

Serum cholesterol 5.29mmol/L; HDL 1.34mmol/L; Total cholesterol: HDL Ratio 3.9

All liver and kidney tests normal.

So overall, happy with these as behaving better has returned the numbers to where they should be. Cholesterol unchanged.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HBa1C 39mmol/mol, down 2 points from last time but not quite where the Libre was pointing @ 32... Think it may be time to take a break from the Libre for a few months.

Hypothyroid - TSH level 0.26 - lower than the 0.35-5.0 range but report states "if on thyroxine replacement appears satisfactory??" Will be querying that in follow up phone call.

Serum cholesterol 5.29mmol/L; HDL 1.34mmol/L; Total cholesterol: HDL Ratio 3.9

All liver and kidney tests normal.

So overall, happy with these as behaving better has returned the numbers to where they should be. Cholesterol unchanged.
Congratulations on a great set of results confirming the impact of all your efforts. :woot:

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I had my follow up phone call from the DN, there was praise and then she said they wanted me to come off the Metformin. How does that follow, I have been strict with diet and had the Sukkarto changed to non shellac coated Metformin as the Sukkarto wasn't working due to difficulties with it dissolving. So now the Metformin is working they want to take it away??? I negotiated to just go down one pill right now and watch the bloods, I will go down again if it doesn't make it harder to control. My diabetic plan has a goal to increase my hba1c?? Wth???Luckily my DN did listen to me and understands I micro manage this condition, so she was happy to let me do me in the end.

Reactions: Dandelade

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations on a great outcome. Brought to mind the DN telling me, after I got my HbA1c to nondiabetic levels 'that you can afford to let your HbA1c go into the 40s'!!!! I could have wept.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You've done great. Please trust what I would say is a general consensus amongst us Type 2's, do not follow the advice to increase your HbA1c - frankly ridiculous and counter intuitive for obvious reasons.

Your concerns with dropping Metformin are understandable; I had similar feelings to the point of getting excess orders when going abroad, just in case there was a travel issue. I have not looked back since removing entirely as I wanted to know if my body could fully self regulate, and I have a personal issue with ingesting even an aspirin. If you walk after each meal for 10 minutes and find time to do some resistance exercise you will more than mitigate the effects metformin has, whilst truly improving your health and fitness.

Reactions: 1970clea

Dandelade

Current 39: recommended 48!!!!
Huh?! That makes no sense? Maybe she meant if you come off metformin it could increase to 40s which might be ok then could work on getting it down without medication? Otherwise I’m stumped at that advice???

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
There are still 'old school' DNs out there who believe in the Eatwell plate, view T2 as a chronic progressive disease and would rather their patients ate 'healthy' carbohydrate, had higher HbA1c s and fulfilled the prophesy of slow deterioration and increasing medication. Unfortunately some of them are teaching new young colleagues the same mantra. Hence the myth is perpetuated!