Test strips

Katalina1974

Hi all

I'm type 2 and on inslin and was just wonder how many test strips does your doctor / nurse give you a month :crazy:

Also how many times do you test a day ?

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She lets me have 50 and I test a minimum of twice a day. You have probably worked out that I buy my own as well as getting the prescription ones.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I test 4 times a day and just order a repeat prescription when they are getting low.

C

chris lowe

One pot per year, so that's just under 1 test a day. Obviously I have to buy the rest if I want to keep my levels under control. I've had a few bargains on e bay.

justbuzme

ok I have been reading a few post on here I always thought once your diabetic you get free med's and test strips as and when you need them, have i got it wrong I get 100 a month have I got this wrong am I getting to many?

julie54

Restriction of Testing equipment

I am newly diagnosed Type 2, following a routine health check at the doctors, when my blood sugar showed at 19.4! Had had no indications /symptoms and this came as a complete shock! There was no discussion about diet/exercise and was given a prescription for metmorfin and glimepiride and an appointment with the Diabetic nurse for one months time. Left the surgery in tears, with the prospect of over a month in 'no mans land' without advice or support. Got my act together and started researching around and of course one of the first things I found were these forums from which I gained information and started my knowledge gathering! Began to feel angry about the blase way in which I felt I had been treated and so insisted on an appointment with a G.P. which I got the following week. Saw G.P. - told her that I didn't want to take medication (I hadn't started them) until I had tried with diet first (actually to quote the words on both medication, they both state that 'these have been prescribed because diet/exercise have failed!' Told the G.P. I wanted to try diet first, her response was that it was the policy of their practice to put EVERYBODY straight onto medication, even those who are pre-diabetic. Told G.P. I had been following the Newcastle Diet (found on this forum) for about a week and had borrowed a meter from a friend who has one (and whose GP practice have always readily given strips etc on prescription). I had been recording results and even though it had only been a week they were consistently between 5.4 and 9. She showed no interest whatsoever, and dismissed everything I said, insisting that I should take the medication and follow a 'healthy diet' - even though I had not been given any advice as to what a 'healthy diet' is! So I then asked if I could have a meter and she refused stating that the Trust will not allow them to be given (even though my friend is with a G.P practice in the same Trust!). She said that the meters themselves are not expensive, but the strips are very costly! So, even though I live on a very very limited income (I made the decision to leave work as a Social worker to care for my elderly parents who are 89 and 80 and frail and I don't want them to have to go into a care home!) of carers allowance/income support which gives me a total income of just £105 per week, and have bought my own testing kit. I need to do this because it is very important for me to keep track on my BG - as of course it is for every diagnosed diabetic!! I am going to see the Diabetic Nurse this week and am going to fight my corner and argue about the meters and if necessary will go through the route of complaining, both through the G.P. practice, P.A.L.S and the Trust - until I get some sort of resolution.

The reason for my rant and anger at this whole situation is that this attitude towards testing strips results in situations could potentially lead to increased risk. I have just read a thread in another forum whereby somebody is not going to see their G.P. in case the testing strips are stopped - which of course means that risks are increased - which is absolutely appalling! Personally, I see the testing as a vital and integral part in managing my diabetes and working towards reducing my BS through diet and exercise before I go down the meds route. Obviously if diet/exercise fails, then I would have no hesitation in going onto meds - but am not being given that opportunity!! I have always lived life with the philosophy of I would rather try and fail, than not to try and never know!!

Incidentally, I have continued with the Newcastle Diet now for 3 weeks, have lost weight (particularly the fat around my trunk!) and my bloods remain at around 7, so even though it is early days, I am pleased with results so far. Of course, I am aware that this type of diet is not sustainable over a long period (I will do it for the 8 weeks as specified) but then I will probably go onto the low carb diet. It will be even more important then to be able to monitor my BS so I will fight them all the way!!!

In essence, I feel very strongly that this is a totally erroneous and dangerous stance being made by the NHS/Doctors as presumably a way to save money!! As far as my G.P. is concerned, my first question is whether this is a guidance from the Trust or a Directive. I am thinking it is guidance, as I know that other G.P's in the same Trust are still prescribing strips. Guidance therefore is simply that - and is interpreted differently by each GP practice. But all diabetics need to rise up and challenge if this ridiculous and potentially dangerous stance on prescribing strips is to stop!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
justbuzme said:
ok I have been reading a few post on here I always thought once your diabetic you get free med's and test strips as and when you need them, have i got it wrong I get 100 a month have I got this wrong am I getting to many?

In UK you get free prescriptions if you apply for exemption certificate. You still need to get them prescribed though. If you're on insulin or meds that can cause hypo's, you should get test strips prescribed. Some will limit numbers whilst others are much more generous. Newly diagnosed on no meds should also get strips, although probably only short term. As for your 100 a month, that's not too much. Testing 3 times a day is certainly not excessive.