Tested 9.8 - advice please

ian1968

After a couple of encouraging weeks of keeping my readings between 4 and 7.8, I've just tested 9.8.

This wasn't entirely unexpected as I had some beers last night - four bottles of Coors Light between 10pm and 3am. I went out to a club so I got home late, had some toast about 4am and another Coors Light bottle, and then about four hours sleep. So not the healthiest night out, but I thought having Coors Light bottles and spacing them out over a long time would help.

My problem is, it's lunchtime, so I'm due to eat. But I don't want to put even more sugar into my system. So what's the best thing for me to do? I can't think it's a good idea to skip a meal, but is it a good idea of add more sugar to my system? Is the best I can do to go out for a half hour walk right now before lunch?

I know drinking isn't the greatest idea, but I only ever drink on a Friday or Saturday, and I thought five bottles of Coors wouldn't be so bad. What do the beer drinkers on here do? Just accept that your BG will be high the morning after?

Next time I'm going to drink four Coors and see how I get on with the BG. But I'd be interested to hear what folk on here think.

Emmerdale

Good Afternoon IanI stick to Red Wine had 4 glasses last night got up at 4-45 and my BG was 5.4 I think red wine is good for me ha ha

ian1968

I'm a veggie so bacon's out sadly. I ended up doing a kind of ploughman's - two quorn fillets, slice of cheese, big pile of lettuce, handful of cherry tomatoes. Yum!

Think I need some tips on how to be a beer drinking diabetic though. I definitely got the mix wrong this time. I can practically taste the sugar fizzing on my tongue!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, don't rely on morning tests as they can be affected by overnight liver dumps. Test 2 hours after a main meal to get a more valid idea of what affects your blood sugar. Normally alcohol helps reduce bs but 5 cans of beer especially if a high % alcohol might be pushing it a bit. Ref eating, unless you are on something like Gliclazide or insulin it shouldn't be a problem skipping a meal as you wouldn't risk a hypo. Reducing food intake will normally reduce your blood sugar, so little and often combined with low-carbing will help keep bs down.