Testing Bloods with only arm

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I’m t2. Been a diabetic for 12 years. I’m not a good t2. I’m really not a good eater. But now getting a few things so need to start eating properly. I’m starting a food diary. I’ve been informed I need to start testing my bloods and regular. Wife bought me a meter. As only having one arm I’m not sure where to take the blood from. I can do my finger but it’s a real struggle. Can anyone help with ideas please. Any advice on my t2 care would be greatly appreciated. @Al60733

Reactions: Peckj02 and Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m t2. Been a diabetic for 12 years. I’m not a good t2. I’m really not a good eater. But now getting a few things so need to start eating properly. I’m starting a food diary. I’ve been informed I need to start testing my bloods and regular. Wife bought me a meter. As only having one arm I’m not sure where to take the blood from. I can do my finger but it’s a real struggle. Can anyone help with ideas please. Any advice on my t2 care would be greatly appreciated. @Al60733

Hi there - To be honest, I'd say to experiment and see how you get along. I might try my tunmmy first, as it's fairly accessible and the skin is fairly soft.

Reactions: Al60733

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is the possibility of using the ear lobe for testing. Though not sure how practical that would be.

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Gonna try it all. My wife does help but there are times when she’s not around.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of meter did you get? mine has 2 different heads one for fingers and one for other parts of the anatomy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had an accident, broke my left wrist but it wasn't 'normal' so even with a plaster cast on I couldn't use it properly and when the cast was taken off, I had CRPS and I couldn't use my arm at all, as it was so bad, so testing and especially injecting was difficult. But I used my arm, leg, most places I could think of tat the time to get a reading. I would push the meter into a corner or up against something to stop it moving about, I also used my teeth to hold things at times. I had a 12 year old at the time and she did help as best she could when she wasn't at school. There is normally a way around things, so wishing you good luck and all the best, I hope you find somewhere suitable, take care.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
With your ear lobes you will need a mirror and should be able to do both sides. Toes, ?? depends if you can reach them and given the fact that toes are sometimes a problem in diabetes perhaps only to be used in an emergency. Thigh is probably easiest but may need a deeper setting on the pricker. Having a clasp or clamp secure on a bench with a second clasp/bulldog clip or whatever to can hold the pricker steady might allow your to use your fingers to line up the finger to be pricked and with another finger press the trigger. Where there is a will there is a way !

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
With my Abbott finger prick device you pull back a slider at one end to prime it, then click a button to fire it.
I can see that if it was in a clamp then it could be primed one handed, then fired with, for example, a Biro held between the teeth.

The meter would have to be clamped so that the finger could be brought to the meter instead of the other way round.

If you can find a local DIY enthusiast or a Maker setup, e.g. https://www.makerscentral.co.uk/ you might find someone (perhaps even with a 3D printer) who could rig up a simple but smart way to do this.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something like this......

vice.jpg

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your ideas. But I don’t own a vice. I will find a way. I always have. But keep the ideas coming please.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see that having a vice and workbench available at all times might not be convenient.
Holding the lancing device in my mouth seems to work nearly as well......

mouth.jpg

You have to turn it up the other way and operate it with your thumb to reach some fingers.

P

pollensa

If of any help, there is also a lancing device called Genteel, its like a pen, that allows testing painlessly from different parts of the body, it sucks the blood rather than having to squeeze and have sore fingers, as can happen, if fingers are a little difficult for you re testing zone, the Genteel may be the answer for you for practicality purposes, has 6 different grades, to allow you take a sample from the palm of hand, top of arm above the hand, even just above the knee zone also, its a wonderful device, and no pain, you just hear a sound, look up genteel on google, if the item you have may not offer so many testing zones, as normally the average is aimed for finger testing, this is the different with Genteel tester, its wonderful.

its such an individual situation and so much info to absorb, follow any directions of your doctor? but also recommended for care of Diabetes 2 I have found works, lifestyle change, low carb eating, exercising even walking every day, and one or two days inermittant fasting, even if its just not having breakfast two day, only having black coffee no sugar milk or tea for example, have given amazing results to degree has controlled my sugar and A1c levels to normal range and non diabetic after only one year bascially, if you have doubt, want info check with your doctor, and perhaps the within is of some help too?

Hope this helps in some way?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an Accu-chek lancet device that remains held in to the elastic in the case. To actuate the device I hold it at each end between my thumb and a finger of the same hand. The device has two actions. One press to trigger the lancet and a second press to release the lancet into the finger. I'm actually squeezing the thumb and finger together in a pincer action. Does that make sense?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try asking your GP to prescribe a Libre. Then the problem would only arise every 14 days. IMO you would have every excuse, especially as alternative testing sites are said not to be as accurate as fingers - and goodness knows the finger testing is inaccurate enough.

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If of any help, there is also a lancing device called Genteel, its like a pen, that allows testing painlessly from different parts of the body, it sucks the blood rather than having to squeeze and have sore fingers, as can happen, if fingers are a little difficult for you re testing zone, the Genteel may be the answer for you for practicality purposes, has 6 different grades, to allow you take a sample from the palm of hand, top of arm above the hand, even just above the knee zone also, its a wonderful device, and no pain, you just hear a sound, look up genteel on google, if the item you have may not offer so many testing zones, as normally the average is aimed for finger testing, this is the different with Genteel tester, its wonderful.

its such an individual situation and so much info to absorb, follow any directions of your doctor? but also recommended for care of Diabetes 2 I have found works, lifestyle change, low carb eating, exercising even walking every day, and one or two days inermittant fasting, even if its just not having breakfast two day, only having black coffee no sugar milk or tea for example, have given amazing results to degree has controlled my sugar and A1c levels to normal range and non diabetic after only one year bascially, if you have doubt, want info check with your doctor, and perhaps the within is of some help too?

Hope this helps in some way?

Hi. Thanks for the advice. When you say fasting do you mean 24 hours or just in daylight?

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve got dn tomorrow. Gonna ask about libre thing. I’m literally just starting to take things seriously if I’m honest. Start a food diary. Exercise by walking