Type 2 Testing Foods Question

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While this discussion is worthwhile, please do not derail this thread.
The OP is new here and asked a particular question.
So please stay on topic.
If you wish to continue the derailing debate, then start a new thread for it. Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may sound silly, but I didn’t know.

If a cookie sends BG to 200, was it a response to the presence of sugar OR the presence of the volume of sugar?
I’m grateful for the answers here.

I don’t know if I’ll try again.

1 hour PP 180
90 min PP 160

6 hours later?

I woke up overheated (it’s not warm here) and tested

Holy “@@&):)

Hi @Ponchu

Sorry, your question seems to have got missed when the thread got derailed.

In answer, I will say two apparently contradictory things:
Firstly, your response to that carb intake may well be different from anyone elses.
Secondly, the larger the carb portion, the higher a blood glucose rise you will get.

So yes, 4 times the carb intake will almost certainly result in a longer, higher spike than the smaller portion would.

But if you have a particular sensitivity to a certain food, that will also affect your readings.
For instance, I get absurdly high bgs from any gluten containing carbs, whereas the same amount of carbohydrate, in the form of potato or even sugar, gives me a lesser rise. I now put this down to a food intolerance, but until I realised it, I was very confused by the results. They seemed so out-of-proportion.

If you want to test what is going on for you, then I would suggest you try eating a single slice of Eikhorn bread and test the reaction. Then the next day, 2 slices, and 3 the third - but the circumstances would need to be similar (e.g. by itself with a set amount of butter), so you could do a proper comparison. Then repeat the same experiment with another carb source, and the same size portions.
Seems like a lot of hassle, I know, but it would give you the answers you are looking for.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Absolutely agree. Whatever works for the individual. Worth noting though that you can’t gain weight without insulin, which kind of indicates that the increased protein, and to a lesser extent fat, did increase your insulin secretion. Where it may seem that it has no deleterious effect for you, is likely because your level of insulin sensitivity is sufficient to cover that increase without a measurable rise in blood glucose.

Everyone is somewhere on their own sliding scales, which is why we all report different findings :)

It was either that or request further treatment.

torchman2

It may sound silly, but I didn’t know.

If a cookie sends BG to 200, was it a response to the presence of sugar OR the presence of the volume of sugar?
I’m grateful for the answers here.

Volume of carbs, plus speed of absorption, plus lack of protein, plus high fat (means less sugar can be metabolised). I just did a look at a Fox's chocolate chip cookie calories online: it has 45% calories from fat, and 52% from carbs.

50g of glucose from chunky root veg will affect your BG less than 50g of sugar from cookies because it digests much slower.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50g of glucose from chunky root veg will affect your BG less than 50g of sugar from cookies because it digests much slower.

But as many of our T1 members may say the presence of fat in the mix can extend the rise but reduce the total rise..the combination of fat and carbs makes a lower overall but longer lasting spike.

My advice to @Ponchu would be to try and reduce your carb intake as much as possible in the first three months so you can get a baseline of your blood sugars then experiment with re-introducing various foods slowly. Once your bloods are where you want them to be then it's far easier to see the impact of new things.

torchman2

But as many of our T1 members may say the presence of fat in the mix can extend the rise but reduce the total rise..the combination of fat and carbs makes a lower overall but longer lasting spike.

Definitely.. root veg roasted in coconut oil would digest far slower than plain. Was just trying to say cookies would hit the blood stream very quickly.

Ponchu

I liked the protein discussion.

I have reached 6 mos Mark & now am testing foods. I’ve been able to keep my numbers very low first through diet & now diet and exercise. I am off all meds.

My wife may try to sprout and grind wheat berries.

Can anyone share how, once Type 2 was under control, their testing protocol ?

I am thinking —test only once per week.

I think (for me) being in nutritional ketosis is vital.

So if I test something, it’ll be on a Sunday. I can fast 16-24 hours Monday to bring down wayward numbers.

I’m curious about bread, potatoes etc.

For ex: some say boiled potatoes work out whereas baked causes a spike...

I recognize we are all different and am curious to see how others handled this.

Einkorn flour test didn’t work out but it was made w honey. I can’t tell if it’s the flour or the honey.

If you got your type 2 under control and did sine N=1 tests, I’d love to learn from you.

Thanks!

Ponchu

Personally I like to view all grain flours as sherbert :D

Jim

You’ve bailed on all breads?

If so, you ok w that?

Funny, I love breads (we’ve always made our own) but don’t miss the “wheat belly” reactions. It’s why we are searching out to find non GMA —-

M

Member496333

Jim

You’ve bailed on all breads?

If so, you ok w that?

Funny, I love breads (we’ve always made our own) but don’t miss the “wheat belly” reactions. It’s why we are searching out to find non GMA —-

NGNS. No grains. No sugar.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I liked the protein discussion.

I have reached 6 mos Mark & now am testing foods. I’ve been able to keep my numbers very low first through diet & now diet and exercise. I am off all meds.

My wife may try to sprout and grind wheat berries.

Can anyone share how, once Type 2 was under control, their testing protocol ?

I am thinking —test only once per week.

I think (for me) being in nutritional ketosis is vital.

So if I test something, it’ll be on a Sunday. I can fast 16-24 hours Monday to bring down wayward numbers.

I’m curious about bread, potatoes etc.

For ex: some say boiled potatoes work out whereas baked causes a spike...

I recognize we are all different and am curious to see how others handled this.

Einkorn flour test didn’t work out but it was made w honey. I can’t tell if it’s the flour or the honey.

If you got your type 2 under control and did sine N=1 tests, I’d love to learn from you.

Thanks!
I still test daily FBG and coupe of times before and after dinner usually.. Like to keep my eye on things.

As few carbs as possible probably 95% carnivore these days..much easier to not have to worry about carb amounts than try to watch everything.. less wasted food and less time cooking and prepping.. win, win win for me and cheaper too. Make friends with your local butcher..

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

I’m < 20 g carbs.

The exception is test day. Test day has only just begin & I am not certain of doing it.

Selfishly, I’d rather read of others’ than my own.

Normally I don’t need to check post meals because of no processed foods = no surprises.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m < 20 g carbs.

The exception is test day. Test day has only just begin & I am not certain of doing it.

Selfishly, I’d rather read of others’ than my own.

Normally I don’t need to check post meals because of no processed foods = no surprises.
carbs are not only found in processed foods.
How are you identifying the carbs in the foods you eat? can you give us a typical days food please?

Ponchu

I’m using carb manager app to track carbs.

Typical Day:

Breakfast. Bacon eggs sausage

Dinner: steak, salad & broccoli.