Testing & Type 2

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
Hello guys, it has been a while. I have move to Ireland and gotten a bit lazy (very).

As a result my bloods have gotten a bit out of sync and I am back on the medication (metformin & another I cannot remember of the top of my head).

I have gotten the kick up the backside I needed and I am back trying to do better. One thing I have never done and possibly it could of helped avoid this situation is testing. Ever since I was diagnosed I have never regularly test myself.

Looking to you lovely people for advice on whether I should be testing. I do not and to my knowledge have ever suffered a 'HYPO'. But then again I do not know how they would manifest themselves. Looking at the descriptions online (I know, probably not the best place) I am sure I haven't.

All advice gratefully received.

Warren

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not really advice, and I am currently having issues with them myself, but a CGM. I used to be someone who listed to my doctor saying "It's good/ok" unfortunately until it was not so good anymore. I would suggest trying a free 14 day sample CGM (continuous glucose monitor). In my diabetes "journey" it was the biggest eyeopener so far.
I'm also a type 2, never had any real hypo's as far as I know. But really seeing what a naughty meal does to you I at least found very, very motivating to change my diet.
Since using the CGM (if only now and then because they are expensive to self fund) and switching to a low carb diet (and certainly not listening to my doctor anymore) my hbc1a has returned to normal values and at the last test my cholesterol has been all in the green for the first time in about 18 years.
Last week had an eye check in the hospital and the (not sure how to translate this) not changing/steady eye damage I had for ~5-10 years is gone!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
. I do not and to my knowledge have ever suffered a 'HYPO'. But then again I do not know how they would manifest themselves
For many of us the reason for testing is not to avoid hypos, unless you are taking insulin or one of the other more aggressive drugs, Hypoglycaemia is not usually a problem for someone with T2.
We test because by testing before we eat and again afterwards, we can understand how that meal affects our blood sugar levels. Knowing how high you go and how long you stay high when you eat certain foods,, gives you the information you need to make better food choices. It's how many of us have managed to get our blood sugar into non diabetic territory and get rid of the need for medication

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not really advice, and I am currently having issues with them myself, but a CGM. I used to be someone who listed to my doctor saying "It's good/ok" unfortunately until it was not so good anymore. I would suggest trying a free 14 day sample CGM (continuous glucose monitor). In my diabetes "journey" it was the biggest eyeopener so far.
I'm also a type 2, never had any real hypo's as far as I know. But really seeing what a naughty meal does to you I at least found very, very motivating to change my diet.
Since using the CGM (if only now and then because they are expensive to self fund) and switching to a low carb diet (and certainly not listening to my doctor anymore) my hbc1a has returned to normal values and at the last test my cholesterol has been all in the green for the first time in about 18 years.
Last week had an eye check in the hospital and the (not sure how to translate this) not changing/steady eye damage I had for ~5-10 years is gone!
Thank you

Reactions: Tcuzz1

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello guys, it has been a while. I have move to Ireland and gotten a bit lazy (very).

As a result my bloods have gotten a bit out of sync and I am back on the medication (metformin & another I cannot remember of the top of my head).

I have gotten the kick up the backside I needed and I am back trying to do better. One thing I have never done and possibly it could of helped avoid this situation is testing. Ever since I was diagnosed I have never regularly test myself.

Looking to you lovely people for advice on whether I should be testing. I do not and to my knowledge have ever suffered a 'HYPO'. But then again I do not know how they would manifest themselves. Looking at the descriptions online (I know, probably not the best place) I am sure I haven't.

All advice gratefully received.

Warren
I would recommend fingerprick testing before and two hours after meals so you can see the effect various foods have on your BG. That way, you can eliminate what does the most damage and that should result in an improvement in overall levels. If you feel like funding a continuous glucose monitor (eg a Libre) or finding a free trial, they can be useful in showing how your BG reponds to a lot of things as well as food - sleeping, stress, etc.

For T2s hypos aren't usually a problem. There is sometimes confusion in what you read between the reasons for t1s and t2s testing.

Here’s some info on meters collated by @Rachox, and to be clear I/we have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. This holds good for the UK, Ireland might have some differences around VAT etc.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews - if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips, and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check out you may get money off. I’m not sure if this code is still valid.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively. Again I’m not sure if these codes are still valid.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips, again I haven’t used them in a while.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular however I haven’t been able to find it on their website lately.

(Old link which doesn’t work for me now but maybe works for you, if it doesn’t try the phone number below

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793 ) or Google it and you’ll find it’s available from other outlets.

The strips are to be found here:
https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free: Phone number 0800 8815423

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.
Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free (for all meters and strips).

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As I don't eat to the glucometer, I don't test mi'sen ..but do keep a diabetes ✻logbook✻ to keep a record of my HbA1c, etc ..what has also proved useful is all my 'diabetes' records ..collated in a pocket display book ..appointment and result letters on facing pages ..so they ✻flow✻ like a story.

Reactions: LondonCabby17

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For many of us the reason for testing is not to avoid hypos, unless you are taking insulin or one of the other more aggressive drugs, Hypoglycaemia is not usually a problem for someone with T2.
We test because by testing before we eat and again afterwards, we can understand how that meal affects our blood sugar levels. Knowing how high you go and how long you stay high when you eat certain foods,, gives you the information you need to make better food choices. It's how many of us have managed to get our blood sugar into non diabetic territory and get rid of the need for medication
Thank you

I would recommend fingerprick testing before and two hours after meals so you can see the effect various foods have on your BG. That way, you can eliminate what does the most damage and that should result in an improvement in overall levels. If you feel like funding a continuous glucose monitor (eg a Libre) or finding a free trial, they can be useful in showing how your BG reponds to a lot of things as well as food - sleeping, stress, etc.

For T2s hypos aren't usually a problem. There is sometimes confusion in what you read between the reasons for t1s and t2s testing.

Here’s some info on meters collated by @Rachox, and to be clear I/we have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. This holds good for the UK, Ireland might have some differences around VAT etc.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews - if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips, and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check out you may get money off. I’m not sure if this code is still valid.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively. Again I’m not sure if these codes are still valid.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips, again I haven’t used them in a while.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular however I haven’t been able to find it on their website lately.

(Old link which doesn’t work for me now but maybe works for you, if it doesn’t try the phone number below

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793 ) or Google it and you’ll find it’s available from other outlets.

The strips are to be found here:
https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free: Phone number 0800 8815423

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.
Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free (for all meters and strips).
Thanks Kenny

Reactions: alex1965