Thank You Forum! You have been the answer!

JHP1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The unknown!
Hi all!

I hope this post will help other "newbies" looking for direction and hope!

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of January 2016 (HBA1c 52, FBG 8.8). As so often for others, went to the Doc's for something else and "bang" there you go! There followed he usual barrage of feet, eye checks, and for us Essex boys (I'm 58!), STEP2 Dietary Advice Course (Due to go tomorrow), and of course the mandatory

Not being the patient sort (excuse the pun), I went hunting for understanding Tank you Mr Google), and found Diabetes.co.uk and the forums. Now I am not a "forum" person, preferring to watch and evaluate rather than join in; and so it has been here. I have watched and thanks to you the posting public, I have learnt a huge amount about the issues, causes, impact, and management of T2.

I have taken your advice , read your differences, but what has struck me is the totally and non-judgmental support you have offered others in similar circumstance - you are a credit to the community you find yourselves in.

Thanks to you I did start exercising regularly (starting with a breathless 1 minute walk 5 days a week, to 3 1/2 months later, 45 minutes jogging 7 days a week (mind you still breathless!).

I went hard on the low carb' its true; cutting out bread (save for 1 slice of soy and linseed once a week), cereal (save for a small bowl of All-bran (something to get a "grip on"), no potatoes or rice, flour based foods etc. Shoping takes a lot longer these days as I end up turning everything over to examine the carb's content!

What I was less stringent about was the alcohol! Let's not dwell on it (but its gin and slimline and/or Red wine) but only if there is a 'y' in the day. In summary - I eat a bit like a vegetarian mouse with a drink problem....but..

I am now 2 stone lighter (down from 14 stone 4 to 12 stone 4).

I have attended a discussion group once at the doc's surgery - about 9 of us of varying times since diagnosis. They mean well but after being to introduce our selves as "my name is ...., and I have diabetes", I could not resist pushing back! Things got worse when the doctor started telling us what "normal people could eat"! I had to remind him that we were "normal people too, but with diabetes!. The only good pont was I managed to persuade them to issue me with a meter and strips (thanks to you lot).

Thanks to the forums and the site, I have become the "diabetic nerd"! BUT... having just rung up to check the results of my 3 months post diagnosis bloods. HBA1c 35. Woohoo! No FBG but my morning readings are usually in the low to mid 5's, sometimes 4s.

Now still on Metformin but Ok with that for now - I have regained control and found my particular route, but now need to make the changes "normal and always"; so early days (I hope!).

So thank you everyone from a (hitherto) silent admirer, ho read what you talked about among yourselves, who saw how united and supportive you are, who took notice and found a path.

From the bottom of my heart (my wife and my 5 kids').

...Thank you :)

Reactions: 5 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
WELL DONE @JHP1 , sounds like you've got it licked. Good luck with your on-going management.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent HbA1c and weight reductions @JHP1! :) And thanks for posting even if you are a lurker by nature - it's always great to read success stories, an encouragement to us all.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's Brilliant @JHP1 well done for going at it 'all guns blazing' if you will

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi all!

I hope this post will help other "newbies" looking for direction and hope!

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of January 2016 (HBA1c 52, FBG 8.8). As so often for others, went to the Doc's for something else and "bang" there you go! There followed he usual barrage of feet, eye checks, and for us Essex boys (I'm 58!), STEP2 Dietary Advice Course (Due to go tomorrow), and of course the mandatory

Not being the patient sort (excuse the pun), I went hunting for understanding Tank you Mr Google), and found Diabetes.co.uk and the forums. Now I am not a "forum" person, preferring to watch and evaluate rather than join in; and so it has been here. I have watched and thanks to you the posting public, I have learnt a huge amount about the issues, causes, impact, and management of T2.

I have taken your advice , read your differences, but what has struck me is the totally and non-judgmental support you have offered others in similar circumstance - you are a credit to the community you find yourselves in.

Thanks to you I did start exercising regularly (starting with a breathless 1 minute walk 5 days a week, to 3 1/2 months later, 45 minutes jogging 7 days a week (mind you still breathless!).

I went hard on the low carb' its true; cutting out bread (save for 1 slice of soy and linseed once a week), cereal (save for a small bowl of All-bran (something to get a "grip on"), no potatoes or rice, flour based foods etc. Shoping takes a lot longer these days as I end up turning everything over to examine the carb's content!

What I was less stringent about was the alcohol! Let's not dwell on it (but its gin and slimline and/or Red wine) but only if there is a 'y' in the day. In summary - I eat a bit like a vegetarian mouse with a drink problem....but..

I am now 2 stone lighter (down from 14 stone 4 to 12 stone 4).

I have attended a discussion group once at the doc's surgery - about 9 of us of varying times since diagnosis. They mean well but after being to introduce our selves as "my name is ...., and I have diabetes", I could not resist pushing back! Things got worse when the doctor started telling us what "normal people could eat"! I had to remind him that we were "normal people too, but with diabetes!. The only good pont was I managed to persuade them to issue me with a meter and strips (thanks to you lot).

Thanks to the forums and the site, I have become the "diabetic nerd"! BUT... having just rung up to check the results of my 3 months post diagnosis bloods. HBA1c 35. Woohoo! No FBG but my morning readings are usually in the low to mid 5's, sometimes 4s.

Now still on Metformin but Ok with that for now - I have regained control and found my particular route, but now need to make the changes "normal and always"; so early days (I hope!).

So thank you everyone from a (hitherto) silent admirer, ho read what you talked about among yourselves, who saw how united and supportive you are, who took notice and found a path.

From the bottom of my heart (my wife and my 5 kids').

...Thank you :)
Way to go x

Reactions: 3 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant story @JHP1, and an inspiration to many; thank you for telling us of your progress. Helps keep me on track.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi @JHP1 Great to hear you are getting on so well - I too have learnt so much from this forum, it has been a real lifeline to managing my diabetes. Hope you keep looking in and posting, it helps to keep in touch even if you don't post often. Well done on your results.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
JHP1 what a star!!! Thanks so much for raising your head above the parapet and sharing your success story. Truly an inspiration.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app